Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
End of the year when teaching preschool

mushroom caps

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:38 pm
Asking all preschool teachers here, what are you teaching for the last few weeks of school? We still have 3 1/2 more weeks and usually I follow a kodesh curriculum parsha of the week Yomim Tovim etc.. but Shavuos is now over parsha is very boring at this point, and I find I'm stumped now. I only do kodesh so things like spring flowers etc.. is for the chol teacher and I cant do that.
usually at this point im working on the end of year performance and then the year is done but now I have a full 3 weeks before the performance and cant work on it yet.. its still too early.
What do you do?

manhattanmom

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:46 pm
I don't teach in the type of preschool setting that you do (a frum school, general education) but are you able to teach about inyanim that may come up in the summer? Can you teach about summer safety--v'nshmartem meod l'nafshosaichem...wearing a helmet when you ride a bike or scooter, wearing sunscreen, not going to a pool by yourself or if there's no lifeguard? When you're playing outside, stay near your mommy/daddy/bubby/babysitter....look out for cars pulling out of driveways...

Is there a curriculum to follow? What are your co-teachers doing?

imasinger

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:50 pm
3 weeks is not too early! By all means, get them started.

This is my field. As a preschool and early elementary music teacher, I am doing 15 different end of year performances at various schools.

Three weeks is a fine amoynt of prep time. It allows you to keep things fun and low stress.

In addition, you can focus on any aspect of kodesh that you didn't yet cover. A unit on Shabbos? Kashrus? Kibbud abv va'eim? Ahavas yisrael? What would you like to do?

cbsp

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 10:59 pm
Pirkei Avos? Midah of the week?

mushroom caps

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:40 pm
The chol teacher is covering safety right now.. and I did shabbos kashrus etc.. when it came up in parsha.. ahavas yisroel we just did during sefira.. those are great ideas though. Maybe I shouls just pick any random topic and do it? though I would like to do something that is relevant to now.. not just some random topic. We do pirkei avos every week already it doesnt fill up a whole week though.
and yes I could start practicing for the performance now but practicing songs isnt the same as teaching a concept and doing crafts to go with it... what kind of activities/crafts should I be doing?
I never had this, where there was nothing left to teach... and ive been teaching for 8 years now.

acccdac

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:43 pm
transportation/tefilas haderech

brachos

nitilas yadayim/shema
cleanliness/brushing teeth

mevater
derech eretz
gam zu letovah

choose a topic/mitzva you want to teach, there can be 3 different topics to teach through the week, let parents know so they can do at home

singleagain

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:44 pm
I'm not a teacher, and I know you said pre-school... but could you possibly do something about the upcoming summer fasts?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics