Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does this exist ?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:30 pm
For those living in the U.S. -
I've had no success finding a frum babysitter to come to my house to watch my kids during the day. The ones who responded to my inquiries all seemed to have issues one way or another. Does it exist to find a frum babysitter who will treat this like a real job? And if you did, how long did she stay with you ? Did she work erev yontiff?
I also don't want someone who will bring their own babies with them.
Am I dreaming?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:43 pm
Where are you located? I know of an agency for this in Brooklyn.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 11:29 am
I have a great frum babysitter who works regular hours, has no "issues" and works on erev Yom Tov. Here are my tips:

1) Live in a neighborhood where it is normal for frum women to babysit. I live in Queens and many Israeli or Bucharian women babysit - it's a normal job and there are plenty of candidates. I don't know about Brooklyn but it seems likely. Teaneck, not so much.

2) Find someone who is 50+ years old who has grown children (preferably all out of the house). That way she won't need to run home to get to her own kids or take off when they are sick.

3) Pay your babysitter well and treat her well - that way she won't leave to get a better job or complain while she is working for you.

4) Lastly, it would be great if your babysitter lived near you. Mine does, and she takes my kids to her house on erev Yom Tov so that she can cook and clean. For the 3 or 4 times a year that this happens, I don't mind if my kids watch cartoons in her house for an hour or two.

It's hard to find and you really need to work hard on "making it work," but for me B"H it is working out well.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 11:43 am
I have a frum babysitter coming to my house.

I agree with the above amother about taking someone without little kids and paying and treating her well.

She doesn't work erev yomtif/shabbos, but I don't either, so I've never asked her to. I don't think she would, though.

Leahh

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
Where are you located? I know of an agency for this in Brooklyn.

can you please pm with the info
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics