Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Comforter vs. duvet cover

optimist

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:38 pm
I grew up on duvet covers and they seem so much more practical to keep clean, and take up much less space for storage, however, I live out of town and cant get duvet cover linen sets easily. Overstock has such pretty comforter sets for girls. Should I get a comforter linen set or stick with duvet cover linen sets?

mommyla

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:53 pm
IKEA makes nice duvet cover sets, not sure about the quality though. I love duvet covers but they are so hard to find!

yenny

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:11 pm
Ikea quality is great! I use it for all the kids and the prints are beautiful.

MamaBear

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:41 pm
Do you mean in a different country? Duvets options are plentiful all across the US but I guess online is better for options...

IMO, duvets all the way in terms of regular cleaning:

http://www.thecompanystore.com.....overs

Amarante

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 4:23 pm
I don't understand the difference you are making between duvets and comforters. At least in the US, duvets are the covers people use for their quilts and so they can wash the duvet cover and not have to wash the quilt that is being protected.

I grew up with duvets and didn't realize that most Americans used top sheets and bottom sheets until I went to camp and was given two sheets to make the bed :-). They told me that I was supposed to put the "top sheet" on the bottom each week and turn the bottom sheet into the laundry. I just put two sheets on the mattress and followed instructions by giving them a sheet each week although it made NO sense at all to me.

You can google duvet covers and they have become pretty easy to locate - especially on-line because more and more people in the US now use down quilts and need a duvet cover. The company store (as suggested by mama bear) has great stuff.

They are also VERY easy to sew if you can sew at all. My mother used to sew them using sheets so the duvet covers matched the sheets. So easy to make a bed when all you have to do is put the comforter with the duvet cover on top.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 5:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't understand the difference you are making between duvets and comforters. At least in the US, duvets are the covers people use for their quilts and so they can wash the duvet cover and not have to wash the quilt that is being protected.

I grew up with duvets and didn't realize that most Americans used top sheets and bottom sheets until I went to camp and was given two sheets to make the bed :-). They told me that I was supposed to put the "top sheet" on the bottom each week and turn the bottom sheet into the laundry. I just put two sheets on the mattress and followed instructions by giving them a sheet each week although it made NO sense at all to me.

You can google duvet covers and they have become pretty easy to locate - especially on-line because more and more people in the US now use down quilts and need a duvet cover. The company store (as suggested by mama bear) has great stuff.

They are also VERY easy to sew if you can sew at all. My mother used to sew them using sheets so the duvet covers matched the sheets. So easy to make a bed when all you have to do is put the comforter with the duvet cover on top.

The reason why most Jews use duvet covers is because it is a European thing, and the idea was was brought from Europe. Americans, typically use flat sheets. A few summers ago, my upstate cleaning lady, who is European, helped make the beds with the duvet covers and was lamenting the fact that she can't find them anywhere in America. I told her to come to the linen stores in boro park and Flatbush, and she will find them.

nylon

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 6:16 pm
Duvets with covers are becoming more and more popular in the USA. 20 years ago, you needed to know where to find them. Today I can buy one in Macy's. I don't know where your cleaning lady is shopping, but I have never lived in Brooklyn and haven't had trouble buying covers for years.

That said, I know many Americans (me included) who still use a flat sheet with a duvet, for several reasons:

1) Habit
2) not wanting to wash the cover every week
3) Using a thin blanket and then the duvet (which can be folded at the end of the bed and left there during hot weather).

Pedantic quibble: The duvet is the comforter itself, not the cover. In the US when people just say "comforter" ad don't specify "down comforter" they typically mean a printed one that is used without a cover.

mazal555

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 7:49 pm
I have a top sheet, a bottom sheet, and a comforter inside a duvet cover. This is the easiest. I wash the top and bottom sheet every week and then I have the cover, which is easier than washing the comforter if something spills.

mandr

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:19 pm
I hate the way hotels have duvets and sheets because lest you move the sheet away during your sleep, you touch the duvet and who knows when it was ever cleaned last?

lfab

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:10 am
I only use duvet covers. Unless you have a washing machine big enough to fit your quilts in this is so much easier. It's not that hard to find nice sets online. Look at Kohls, landsend, bedbathandbeyond, target, macys, and amazon for starters. Also, once in a while I am able to find in marshall's or TJMaxx but usually only twin size.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:18 am
we also started using a flat sheet with our duvets. But it is totally optional.

I love our ikea duvet covers (so pretty and very durable) but they appear not to have buttons on to close? Or did mine fall off? But you could always sew some buttons or snaps on yourself if it bothers you.

Gitch

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:23 pm
I prefer duvets, and also love Ikea. The cheaper ones are lower quality and pill after several washes. They also don't have snaps or buttons, but I love the price for my little kids. The more expensive Ikea sets are better quality cotton and mine do have snaps.

I don't like top sheets as I tend to move a lot as I sleep and always kick it off! Then I'm under the quilt by itself and there goes the advantage of only washing the thing that touches you!

amother
White

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 12:45 pm
Washed every week? lol

busymother

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 3:43 pm
I have duvet covers for the master bedroom and printed comforter sets for my kids. I find that putting on the duvet covers is a real task that I dislike doing and this way I wash the linen more frequently.

zaq

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 7:58 pm
nylon wrote:

Pedantic quibble: The duvet is the comforter itself, not the cover. In the US when people just say "comforter" ad don't specify "down comforter" they typically mean a printed one that is used without a cover.

Mwah! Thank you! This was driving me crazy. I wish people would get off their schnozzy horses and talk plain talk. Back in the Neolithic age when I was a child, nobody had "duvets". Folks had blankets and quilts. The giant pillowcases covering them were "blanket covers" or "quilt covers" (same thing, different use.) In my shtetl, you used these to keep your quilts or blankets clean or to cover up the fact that they were old and worn or didn't match. We used both a top sheet, which you changed weekly, and a blanket cover, which you washed once or twice a season and put away in summer when you weren't using blankets. A top sheet doesn't keep anything clean--it just keeps your body oils off the blanket, but does nothing to prevent dust, makeup, hairspray, breakfast-in-bed and everything else that gets into the bedroom environment from settling on the blanket itself. Not to mention the unmentionable, which is that some people have the utterly disgusting habit of putting their shoes on their bed--for which they should be shot but the law forbids this.

Stop with the duvets and duvet covers. Speak plain English and it's impossible to get confused. OK, I'm prepared to allow "quilts" as thinner but heavily quilted items and "comforters" as thicker items with less stitching. But that's all.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sat, May 30 2015, 10:41 pm
In theory, I would use duvet covers. But we have a king size real down comforter, and I aaam a very "messy" sleeper. I have tried every trick in the book to get the blanket to stay flat within the cover and nothing works. At best the corners stay put and the middle bunches up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics