Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Is my outfit such an issue?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:00 pm
Seeing so many threads on what to wear to a simcha, I'm starting to think I've missed out on something. I understand people who don't want to stick out and/or want to be fashionable. But is one's outfit such a issue? If YOU would see me, would you notice, comment or care how I'm dressed?
I don't have money for new clothing so I always wear the same old Shabbos outfits year after year. Is it so bad?

Maya

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:05 pm
Not at all.

Barbara

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
Seeing so many threads on what to wear to a simcha, I'm starting to think I've missed out on something. I understand people who don't want to stick out and/or want to be fashionable. But is one's outfit such a issue? If YOU would see me, would you notice, comment or care how I'm dressed?
I don't have money for new clothing so I always wear the same old Shabbos outfits year after year. Is it so bad?

Is the outfit clean?

Does it fit? I mean really fit, not "it will be fine if I don't sit, or breathe."

Any holes, shiny patches, stains, visible wear?

Is it hopelessly dated? 80s shoulder pads, or whatever the equivalent is from other decades that we're not in now. Or to be more blunt, if someone saw it on Purim, would they think, "great costume!"

If not, don't worry. You're fine.

Now, to be honest, I will notice. That's because I do like fashion, and do notice what people wear. But it won't affect my opinion of you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:15 pm
A little over 10 years ago, I made the decision to cut my work hours (and my salary) in order to be home with my kids during all non-playgroup hours.

That first year we were really tight. I mean really really really tight. I had one winter outfit that fit me. It was a nice outfit, but just the one....I wore it to six family Simchas.

My DH, bless him, complimented me each time. And I honestly believe no one noticed it was the same outfit. I got compliments on how nice I looked, each time.

It put things into perspective for me. I dress for myself, appropriately, but don't go nuts.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:49 pm
If you're going to wear one oufit to many different simchas than the ideal would be a (tznius) great fitting LBD, since that's always "safe."

Alternatively a fancy skirt you could wear with a few nice tops could be a good option too.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:23 pm
Coco Channel is quoted as saying "Dress shabbily and they will remember the dress. Dress impeccably dressed they will remember the woman."

I think if you look put together (and don't look like you are the host if you aren't) you'll be fine

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:32 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
If you're going to wear one oufit to many different simchas than the ideal would be a (tznius) great fitting LBD, since that's always "safe."

Alternatively a fancy skirt you could wear with a few nice tops could be a good option too.

whats LBD?

Happy18

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:34 pm
Little black dress

groovy1224

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:47 pm
I only notice what someone's wearing if it's particularly ugly, or particularly pretty. I definitely don't notice if someone wears the same thing to multiple events/simchas, unless again it's particularly ugly or unique enough for me to remember it (think hot pink leopard cardigan. Yeah that happened)

Dandelion1

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 2:52 pm
I think it's one of those things that you will never get a consensus on. The answer is just completely dependant upon the individual's values and interests. Those who are not particularly moved by clothing couldn't care less. Those who feel fashion is very central to who you are will find it..... I don't know exactly how to finish this sentence since I am in the first group.

Chances are you and your friends are more similar than different, and if you are happy and feel good, and the people whose opinions you care about feel the same, then who cares:)?

sushi galore

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:33 pm
I don't notice what others wear as I don't need them to notice my dress wear. I don't have a models wardrobe. LOL

champion

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 1:43 am
chances are that people are not thinking that deeply into you.
all the threads you see here are just because some people (and I can relate) enjoy fashion

zaq

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:26 pm
Unless you are the kallah or her mother, nobody is looking at you anyway. And the mother, only when walking down the aisle. So unless you show up in something really inappropriate, like an oil-stained chenille bathrobe or a swimsuit, no worries.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:29 pm
zaq wrote:
Unless you are the kallah or her mother, nobody is looking at you anyway. And the mother, only when walking down the aisle. So unless you show up in something really inappropriate, like an oil-stained chenille bathrobe or a swimsuit, no worries.

how about an oil-stained bathrobe AND a swimsuit? ah, the visual...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics