Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
The perfect tznius LBD (S/O)
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 6:17 pm
Is there such a think as a tznius LBD, I.e. that doesn't require a shell, cardigan or shawl, and that's long enough for a tall woman?

smilingmom

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 6:23 pm
What is a Ldb?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 6:25 pm
smilingmom wrote:
What is a Ldb?

Little black dress, meaning a black dress. I corrected my mistake.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 7:10 pm
I found a knock off of a classic Dior two piece years ago in Japan. Black silk, teal lining, slim skirt. Simple and tasteful. I've had it copied 3 times and I'm on it's last iteration. So yea, I wear the same thing for every dressy occasion. It looked great on me for its first size 6 version and the most recent size 12 version is still great.

I have a great black wool gaberdine that I got in NYC at Barney's two years ago and it's another go to. It's sleeveless and I wear it with some silk kimono tops. And it was a deal.

Ima_Shelli

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:45 pm
Projectgravitas.com seemed like a possibility, but never ordered one myself.

spring13

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 11:07 pm
http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dr.....32201
http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dr.....32346

Both of those have high necklines, and can be customized with sleeves and a longer length. You put in your height no matter what, for hemming purposes, but can also do a fully customized size. If you make a note when ordering, you can request to make it a couple of inches longer than their standard "below the knee", which is just barely below the knee.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:25 am
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/al.....=5041

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ta.....=1562

Here are two examples, just to give an idea op. I have better ones in my closet but this was the best I could turn up in a quick google search.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:31 am
dancingqueen wrote:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alexander-mcqueen-side-ruffle-v-neck-dress/4048552?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=5041

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ta.....=1562

Here are two examples, just to give an idea op. I have better ones in my closet but this was the best I could turn up in a quick google search.

Holy cats! That McQueen one would pay for two months of rent! shock

This is why I go for a simple black top and a matching longer skirt, and then add accessories as needed. Finding the perfect one-piece is just about impossible.

MamaBear

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:40 am
Ralph Lauren often has something like this that can easily be hemmed to whatever length you want. This particular dress I've seen irl and is stunning

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....zPos3

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:02 am
OP here. Some of the prices for those dresses are just crazy IMO. Anyway, I got a dress on eshakti. It's the first time I order from this website. They have a $40 coupon for new customers and orders shipped to the States and Canada. I ended up paying $29.90 including shipping for a dress that looks very nice.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:37 am
Never got the black dress thing... is it really a concept? I don't see where I would wear a simple but black dress.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:42 am
OP, short of designing your own, you're stuck hunting a unicorn.

It's easier to find a jumper and add sleeves and lengthen than to exhaust yourself searching for that which does not exist.

The heimish stores used to cater to tznius, but ever since shells became permissible for elegant affairs, you won't find what you're looking for there either.

Last edited by youngishbear on Thu, May 28 2015, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
Never got the black dress thing... is it really a concept? I don't see where I would wear a simple but black dress.

A simple black dress is extremely versatile. It can be dressed up or dressed down, and accessorized in many ways. It can also be worn all year round, depending on the material. Also, when you don't know what to wear, either because it's in between seasons or you don't want to stick out too much in a crowd you are not familiar with, it's always a safe choice.

Barbara

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:52 am
Ruchel wrote:

The little black dress was created and popularized by French designers, and I've always considered it emblematic of French fashion.

The answer is, of course, you wear it everywhere. With a blazer, with a scarf, with your finest jewelry, with flats, with heels, with boots. It dresses up and it dresses down. It goes everywhere.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:57 am
Ha. It doesn't seem practiced anymore. I cannot identify one type dressing that way?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 11:57 am
youngishbear wrote:
OP, short of designing your own, you're stuck hunting a unicorn.

It's easier to find a jumper and add sleeves and lengthen than to exhaust yourself searching for that which does not exist.

The heimish stores used to cat

I actually found 2 dresses on eshakti that, when customized, do not need any alterations for extra coverage. One of them was suggested by spring13. Maybe there are more but I didn't like the design. The one I got actually needs a shell but IMO will even look nicer with a shell. So I guess I didn't find the perfect tznius LBD.
The heimishe stores used to carry different models but they were overpriced. You can still find a couple but they tend to be quite short on taller women like me.

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:32 pm
Not sure of your dress size or your precise height, but this dress fits all of your specifications.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/le.....=Midi

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:56 pm
I have a few LBDs. A sequin knee length one with sleeves and a boat neck, a chiffon high-waisted one that I wear with a black shell. Because it has shiny buttons on the front, it looks good with a Lycra black shell. I also have a rayon, fitted LBD that's more casual. My shoes, jewelry and clutch change the look each time I wear them.
OP, I'm always on the lookout for great dresses. They are possible to find. None of the ones I mentioned were bought recently, so I can't add links, but know that they do exist and keep looking.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:39 pm
Oops sorry about the 2k dress! That was by a high end designer thus the price but I was just trying to pull up examples of the look for op.

I'm a dress girl so I have a few tznius lbds. I couldn't find them online since they aren't new but the designers are tadashi shoji, Cynthia steffe, and David meister. I also find that British designers such as Ted baker and lk bennet have beautiful sheaths, though they may have short sleeves. Adriana pappel too. Point is tznius dressses definitely exist.

Lbds are popular in the secular world since they are the perfect thing to wear to a cocktail party or work event, dressy brunch or even to work with a blazer.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:54 pm
Those who are posting links to dresses, do you ever need to fix necklines? I find that the most frustrating. The pictures don't look that lowcut, but IRL for me it's often slightly too wide.

That's why I've given up and gone sleeveless with a shell. Solves the neck problem for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics