Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Job opportunity in Wyoming--help me fantasize, please
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:07 am
I have a job opportunity in Wyoming for 1 year.

I am fantasizing about taking it.

I desperately want to get out of NYC.

I want to have air and open space.

I dream about putting our stuff in storage, driving out there in a van, stopping at attractions along the way.

I've never before traveled or done anything adventurous.

Yes, I have school-age kids who would have to be homeschooled. No, there is no shul or Jewish community in that area of Wyoming. We would probably have to eat vegan for a year.

It's completely impractical and ridiculous but I'm fantasizing now so help me out please. If anyone has done anything like this and lived to tell the tale please share your story.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:39 am
Go for it !!!
You have nothing to lose but regrets for the road nit taken
What kind of job is it

Raisin

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:43 am
how will you homeschool if you are working? How old are your kids?

As for food, its not that hard. If you keep chalav yisrael, its not difficult to bring with hard cheese and powdered milk. Eggs and fish can be bought locally. You may be able to ship kosher meat, or drive to the nearest Jewish community and buy.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:49 am
The job is for me. My husband can homeschool. B"H my income is enough for us to live on (especially if we are not paying tuition!!!).

My husband is more concerned about living so far from a Jewish community, not having a shul on Shabbos, etc.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:50 am
I agree with Naturalmom- go for it! I've lived in one of "those" western states for a time. It's not as convenient as living in NY or LA, but it's totally doable. There are Chabad Rabbis out there who have mikvahs and can help you if you need something. You can order meat online-it's a bit more expensive (because of shipping) but totally doable. There is a chain of stores out there-Albertsons-that has a small kosher section where you can find grape juice and a few other odds and ends. They have a frozen section too which has soups and even challah, and they carry kosher wine.

Not to mention that it is BEAUTIFUL out there. So much open space and so relaxed. Taking a year off of in town life to live out there sounds really nice, actually.

What part of Wyoming would you be moving to? I think the Chabad there is in Jackson.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:52 am
Mistyrose amother I wish there was a way I could PM you!

Last edited by amother on Thu, May 28 2015, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:53 am
Check out this amazing blog for some inspiration (and jealousy):

http://lookbeforeyoulive.com/

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:57 am
doctorima wrote:
Check out this amazing blog for some inspiration (and jealousy):

http://lookbeforeyoulive.com/

This does look interesting but I'm a bit confused.

They live out of the RV? Who works? How do they pay the bills? Are they living off savings?

Part of my concern is that I'll be so busy working I won't have time for sightseeing (which is basically my life right now). But at least there I can look out the window to see the sights!

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:02 am
Regular trips to Denver. Dh and kids I mean. Living "out there" means a big deep freezer.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 8:03 am
I don't live in america but we are Chabad Shluchim who live in a fairly remote location Jewishwise (small community with shul, mikva, school and food shop but not much else. Handful of Shomer shabbat families)

Over the years a few frum families have lived a couple of hours drive from us in even more remote locations (no Jewish people at all) One family comes here for every yom tov and stays in a hotel. They also come here for mikva and shopping.

I think for a year it is not a problem, but I would not recommend for longer.

Can you fly to family for yom tov?

If nothing else, you will appreciate the big city after the year.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:00 am
Iymnok wrote:
Regular trips to Denver. Dh and kids I mean. Living "out there" means a big deep freezer.

Denver might actually be a good option.

But I've been browsing around and housing prices seem very high. About as high as NYC. Sad

What do houses go for in the frum neighborhoods?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:45 am
what is it that that is interesting you- is it to the beauty or the job? I know you are just fantasizing but I think it shows that something isn't working for you currently. May be "we" can problem solve to think of a way for you to get more of what you are yearning.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
what is it that that is interesting you- is it to the beauty or the job? I know you are just fantasizing but I think it shows that something isn't working for you currently. May be "we" can problem solve to think of a way for you to get more of what you are yearning.

I'm fed up with NYC.

I'm attracted by wide open space and scenic beauty.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:58 am
can you look in to a place that has a frum community with lots of space and scenic beauty that has a job in your field? someplace you can move to for than a year? Is there something you have to move back to NYC for? Is homeschooling something your dh could do for more than a year?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:03 am
there are threads on here about different communities....

some communities have people who help people find jobs in the community...

as an aside- I was recently in williamsburg for a wedding and just being there for a few minutes was jarring for me- the lack of natural beauty and space... I hear you....

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
can you look in to a place that has a frum community with lots of space and scenic beauty that has a job in your field? someplace you can move to for than a year? Is there something you have to move back to NYC for? Is homeschooling something your dh could do for more than a year?

Is there such a place? Name it. Cost of living also has to be low.

I'm not interested in Florida, California or Texas.

We don't have to move back to NYC after a year. We could go anywhere.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:14 am
I have lots of fresh air and space and greenery (ok, not in the winter) in Ohio Very Happy Sunsets are gorgeous (yes, I can see them from my house not blocked by tall apartment buildings), deer roaming in my yard with blue jays and cardinals fluttering from tree to tree. But I don't have a beach. Not sure that's what you would be going to Wyoming for though Wink

doctorima

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
This does look interesting but I'm a bit confused.

They live out of the RV? Who works? How do they pay the bills? Are they living off savings?

Part of my concern is that I'll be so busy working I won't have time for sightseeing (which is basically my life right now). But at least there I can look out the window to see the sights!

Yes, they live out of the RV, and rented out their house in Monsey for income. See here for more info:

http://lookbeforeyoulive.com/?p=60

I'm not saying you should be as extreme as them, just showing what's possible if you think out of the box.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:23 am
so I'm personally moving to Cincinnati- where HY is describing- my dh wants exactly what you are describing as well Smile didn't want to project though Smile. I don't know you- may be you can tell us more about yourself hashkafically..... what type of community would you like.... would Rochester or South Bend.... work for you? I only know about places that we were considering but I'm sure there are many other places....

justcallmeima

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:33 am
OMG- GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!! In the grand scheme of your life, one year is a blip on the radar screen. Imagine what it would be like for your kids to bond with their father, to get outdoors and dig in the dirt, to play, to explore. I grew up in a city that was a 12 hour drive from the nearest medium sized Jewish community. It was nice. People from all walks of Jewish life bonded together because there were too few of us to nitpick about minor differences like how or if you cover your hair, or what nusach you do or don't daven. There are definitely drawbacks, but again, it's ONE YEAR! Do it now while your kids and you are young. Also, with the internet it's easy for you and your kids to keep in touch with friends and family. PM me if you like, but I've never been to Wyoming! I hope you go for it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating