Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Whats a polite way of expressing annoyance?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:30 pm
I want to convey that im not happy with a change of plans but will deal with it, but I want to be cordial because its a delicate business relationship.
I don't want to just say ok since its really not. But I have no choice so I'll just deal with it.
Over the phone I would be able to make a sound like a sigh or something but this is a email conversation.

Leahh

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
I want to convey that im not happy with a change of plans but will deal with it, but I want to be cordial because its a delicate business relationship.
I don't want to just say ok since its really not. But I have no choice so I'll just deal with it.
Over the phone I would be able to make a sound like a sigh or something but this is a email conversation.

write something like if that's the way it has to be then I guess I'll have to make it work or some thing to that effect

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:03 pm
There is no room for annoyance in a business relationship which you plainly say you need, and you show yourself as having to put up with the difficulties of. Do not express annoyance.

They will know, they will know. People aren't idiots.

If they keep it up a lot, next time just say er, you can't go. You are very sorry but you can't. No explanations. They will get the point.

Or, you might have to just cope because you need the relationship. But annoyance will cost you.

Maya

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:07 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
There is no room for annoyance in a business relationship which you plainly say you need, and you show yourself as having to put up with the difficulties of. Do not express annoyance.

They will know, they will know. People aren't idiots.

If they keep it up a lot, next time just say er, you can't go. You are very sorry but you can't. No explanations. They will get the point.

Or, you might have to just cope because you need the relationship. But annoyance will cost you.

For the first time ever, I agree with Dolly.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:25 pm
What if a client tells me they will pay late. But at least they will continue to use my work. And are constantly making demands and changes. At what point can I put my foot down and stop being the nice guy and letting him take advantage?
I feel like I am giving in too much just because I want his business but he's really not being nice.
You dont think I can show annoyance at all?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
What if a client tells me they will pay late. But at least they will continue to use my work. And are constantly making demands and changes. At what point can I put my foot down and stop being the nice guy and letting him take advantage?
I feel like I am giving in too much just because I want his business but he's really not being nice.
You dont think I can show annoyance at all?

you can calmly tell the client that you will not continue work on his project until what is due is paid.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:31 pm
The work is already done. I have no leverage. The next job wont be for a while. He always pays but this time its late. Its not such a big deal its just 1 more thing to add to the annoyances.
He could pay now but wants to wait until a different credit card comes in the mail so he can use it for points. So I have agreed to wait just to keep him happy. If I said no he would pay me now with another card.

This is what I mean by im always being nice.
How far do I need to go just to keep a client happy?

smss

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:31 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
you can calmly tell the client that you will not continue work on his project until what is due is paid.

yeah. better to calmly and professionally make your policies clear than to express annoyance to a client.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
The work is already done. I have no leverage. The next job wont be for a while. He always pays but this time its late. Its not such a big deal its just 1 more thing to add to the annoyances.

set some policies in place now so that you're prepared for next time. inform him of the change in policy before starting his next project.

Surprise

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:17 pm
I once heard something so true. When annoyed at someone, instead of saying im mad at YOU, use I instead. Say, I dont like when you come home late, instead of You're so late! That way the other person is not on the offensive.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:32 pm
I agree with Dolly and Maya if it's a simple business relationship in which you are personally transacting business with another individual.

Unfortunately, though, many situations are a little complex.

For example, I'm on Imamother right now resting my eyes after spending several hours on a small change to a report that a client needs. The request itself wasn't unreasonable, but the particular template is so complex that virtually any change breaks something else.

Figuring all this out is my job, so I'm not complaining about that part. But the client gave me almost no notice. To complicate matters, the "client" is not an individual customer but the secretary of the organization.

Basically, she goofed and didn't inform me in a reasonable period of time about the change. But I know from experience that her report back to her boss will be something like, "Fox can't do this in time," leaving out the fact that she neglected to mention anything to me until the situation was an emergency.

So I usually try to leave an email trail suggesting how we can avoid this sorry situation in the future. I copy it to relevant people in my organization as well as the client's, and I keep a light tone without explicitly blaming anyone.

I agree that people aren't idiots, but sometimes you have to connect the dots in order to make sure they get the point.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 7:33 pm
someone up thread suggested something like, "if that's the way it has to be" I would strongly recommend against that, bc it's extremely passive-agressive and having been on the receiving end of statements like that, it's a horrible feeling, and will likely ruin the relationship.

I do agree, that you have to be firm in what policies are. also.. can you ask that they pay now, and when the new card comes in, you can refund this card and charge the new one....?

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 7:56 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
set some policies in place now so that you're prepared for next time. inform him of the change in policy before starting his next project.

This. "Policy" is a magic word. "Our policy is 20% down, balance paid in 30 days." "Our policy is not to accept new commissions from clients whose accounts are more than 90 days in arrears, until the balances are paid in full.""Our policy requires 7 days lead time for all changes. There will be a 10% surcharge for changes ordered with 3-6 days' notice and a 30% surcharge for changes ordered with less than 72 hours' notice." See, it isn't you. Your hands are tied--it's the policy.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:27 pm
Your client asked if you can do him a favor and let him pay a little late.

You agreed.

You don't get to be annoyed. You didn't have to agree.

You can still contact him and say, "I know I agreed to wait for this payment, but actually I really need the payment this week." You said he would pay you now if you asked.

Either you wait, or you ask for payment now. But you don't agree to something and then get annoyed at the client.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:56 am
theres the 20-80 rule.
20% of your customers will take 80% of your time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette