Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
A Recent Survey of Women Who Sew for Tznius
1  2  Next

tzniutfashion

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:25 pm
For ladies who sew, thought you might be interested in this survey conducted recently of Jewish women who sew clothing for Tznius.

Sewing for Tznius Survey

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 2:28 pm
Not me, but someone here was looking for a wedding gown. Do you have a simple pattern for that? Do you make them? Do you have a list of seamstresses who do make them?

Anybody can get a wedding gown - but getting one with sleeves and a modest neckline seems so, so hard. Even a pattern like that is hard to find.

Such a dress is mainly rich by its fabric, not its design complications, I would think.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 3:04 pm
How few women were included in the study? Most people I know who sew weren't (by the age question)

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 6:38 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Not me, but someone here was looking for a wedding gown. Do you have a simple pattern for that? Do you make them? Do you have a list of seamstresses who do make them?

Anybody can get a wedding gown - but getting one with sleeves and a modest neckline seems so, so hard. Even a pattern like that is hard to find.

Such a dress is mainly rich by its fabric, not its design complications, I would think.

Contact me, please. All my patterns are kosher mehadrin.

The issue is having the end user take accurate measurements for a custom pattern. After getting a pattern you can have it sewn by your local seamstress.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 7:42 pm
I am not myself in the market for a gown. I am raising the issue because of the expense of gowns which not all can afford. The usual channels for pre-owned gowns aren't modest, a lot of the time.

A bride with the means has no trouble getting a modest gown made.

I was looking for suggestions for a bride looking to spend much less; making it herself, finding a simple pattern.

I looked at your website and found some simple dresses that could indeed be made in a bridal fabric and do nicely as wedding gowns. I looked for dresses that did NOT have collars; peter pan collar is not dressy enough for a wedding gown. I found a charmingly simple high-waisted dress with pocket flaps and a front jabot drape. One would leave those details off a wedding gown. In a wedding satin fabric, it would make a very nice gown.

But yes, you have the patterns. Your customizable software is particularly interesting.

Maybe you could post a photo of one of your dresses made up as a wedding gown: that way people would not have to imagine the possibilities; they could see them.

My thread is still active; this might be a good time.

People do seem to expect a little fitted-ness in the bodice of a wedding gown but that may not be necessary if it's done right. It would be interesting to see your idea of a great, lovely, easy to make wedding gown.

In short we need your help with this issue. The ladies in general might be interested in your posting a thread about this. I myself don't need a gown.

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 7:54 pm
Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I will consider making more 'white' dresses (there's a lovely white top with pleated bodice below the waist) in the gallery. Someone recently purchased a custom dress version of this white top. The software is very versatile. Instead of making standard size patterns, which some of my customers request, it's better for tznius to use the software to make custom patterns. Fitted bodice is neither modest nor kosher, as you already know.

I cannot post any pictures on imamother. It would be considered advertising.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 7:55 pm
My friend found a wonderful modest dress for her DD at Shirleys online, around $200. She invested another $75 into a fitting with her dressmaker. The gown was constructed well and very chic. When one considers the cost in time and money it wasn't very expensive.

A few Jewish women I know have used some of the local Mennonite dressmakers who make some very reasonably priced modest gowns, custom for about $200. They typically don't add a lot of embellishments, so they can keep their costs reasonable. Their workmanship is impeccable. Others use suppliers who cater to Mormons, nice stylish and yet modest dresses.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 8:22 pm
We need to catch up with the Mennonites and the Mormons. I mean this in a very friendly and admiring way, but I think we ought to take care of our own needs. We shouldn't need to go to them. Bless them, they do very nice things, yes, but we can do that too, and should.

Tzniutfashion, what do your nieces wear when they get married?

Yes. Tzniutfashion has some patterns for straight-ish, long, dresses hanging sweetly from a loose but artfully seamed bodice, that if made in a fabulous, gleaming wedding satin, would be just great. Embellishing would be optional. If the fabric had jacquard pattern, you might not need any embellishing at all. The look would be very young and naïve. No, it's not a ball gown look but it might be just fine.

The fabric can carry the day.

Just musing.

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:33 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
We need to catch up with the Mennonites and the Mormons. I mean this in a very friendly and admiring way, but I think we ought to take care of our own needs. We shouldn't need to go to them. Bless them, they do very nice things, yes, but we can do that too, and should.

Tzniutfashion, what do your nieces wear when they get married?

Yes. Tzniutfashion has some patterns for straight-ish, long, dresses hanging sweetly from a loose but artfully seamed bodice, that if made in a fabulous, gleaming wedding satin, would be just great. Embellishing would be optional. If the fabric had jacquard pattern, you might not need any embellishing at all. The look would be very young and naïve. No, it's not a ball gown look but it might be just fine.

The fabric can carry the day.

Just musing.

I agree with you 100% that the choice of fabric can turn a simple everyday wear to formal wear.

Jacquard fabric, lace overlay and pearl trimmings are examples of a touch of formality to a simple pattern.

Silk and satin is not necessary.

I make modest chasunah attire for my family.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:00 pm
Would you consider making it easy for people and posting a separate, defined pattern meant for a wedding dress? Just to make it easy. You already have nice dresses that can be used that way, but maybe get specific. If you feel it is appropriate. A photo on your website might be useful, of the dress made in a wedding fabric.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:44 pm
I've found perfect wedding dresses that fully cover the neck, and extend all the way down to the wrist, without squeezing the bosom area. They are all made by Muslim companies, and tend to start at around $800, but they don't need a stitch of alteration.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 10:49 pm
Well.

We need to take care of our own needs.

That's pricey. I am sure they are very nice, but I was advocating for people of more ordinary means. When you consider the fabric could be fifty dollars or so, using silk brocade, you start to see the point of sewing it yourself.

Or going to Local Rachel, who does everybody's gown in her house.

FF, you could do this.

tzniutfashion

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 11:24 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Would you consider making it easy for people and posting a separate, defined pattern meant for a wedding dress? Just to make it easy. You already have nice dresses that can be used that way, but maybe get specific. If you feel it is appropriate. A photo on your website might be useful, of the dress made in a wedding fabric.

Yes, it's a good idea. I will, bli neder, write a blog post on my site about how to make wedding gown patterns from my software. I'll let you know, or you can sign up for the newsletter, if you haven't already. Thank you.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:19 am
Great. Thank you.

Please post an actual photo of one, too, if possible.

And a link to that post should be permanently at the top of your web site.

People are not going to stop needing wedding dresses, and there are no places to get one; it's a real need. That pattern might be their first pattern from you. They might go to others afterward, but there are other places to get skirts and blouses and patterns for them. Not this.

I don't want to have to hunt through your very large and varied website for it. I don't have the patience. It should get its own tab at the top.

I think I saw one of your skirts was cut on the bias, if I saw it right. That one had a lot of sweep. Maybe you will make the skirt like that.

tzniutfashion

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:31 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Great. Thank you.

Please post an actual photo of one, too, if possible.

And a link to that post should be permanently at the top of your web site.

People are not going to stop needing wedding dresses, and there are no places to get one; it's a real need. That pattern might be their first pattern from you. They might go to others afterward, but there are other places to get skirts and blouses and patterns for them. Not this.

I don't want to have to hunt through your very large and varied website for it. I don't have the patience. It should get its own tab at the top.

I think I saw one of your skirts was cut on the bias, if I saw it right. That one had a lot of sweep. Maybe you will make the skirt like that.

I do not recommend cutting a skirt on the bias as it causes the skirt to cling to the body. I don't know which skirt you saw, but I have skirts that have 22.5-degree flair and when it has an elastic waistband, it makes it look like it has lots of folds/drape which is a good alternative to having a full accordion-pleated skirt (considered the most modest, but takes up a lot of fabric and pleating work, a standard Bais Yaakov uniform skirt). One can easily adjust the flair by adding more hip ease. However, there's a max flair that's built-in to the software so that one doesn't end up with a circle skirt which is the opposite of modesty (think parachute).

Sadie

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've found perfect wedding dresses that fully cover the neck, and extend all the way down to the wrist, without squeezing the bosom area. They are all made by Muslim companies, and tend to start at around $800, but they don't need a stitch of alteration.

I used a Mormon company for my dress. Probably a bit less tznius than the Muslim companies but was very satisfied.

luppamom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:44 am
I used a Jewish gemach. Perfectly tznius and stylish dress. Was tznius on me after alterations.

Cost was alterations + dry cleaning.

tzniutfashion

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:04 pm
Iymnok wrote:
How few women were included in the study? Most people I know who sew weren't (by the age question)

The survey was conducted in a Jewish-only sewing group. Those who participated revealed their age groups. Since not everyone (Jews included) sews for tznius, I suspect only those sewing for tznius participated, which may explain the upper age group.

marina

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:55 pm
I disagree with your whole website. Many of the quotes and ideas are offensive. Like here: http://tznius.tips/category/concerns

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 2:24 pm
Ah. Well, I am not telling you how to design a skirt. You seem to have some interesting skirt designs.

But I am staying with the wedding dress. No detours into day wear.

I leave it to you to present a flatteringly draped, not tight, long dress, in elegant fabric, that dazzles and confers magic, without showing the details of anatomy, which I agree are nobody's business.

There is precedent for this.

I think everybody here can agree we are not in favor of the corset, the extreme homage paid to the waist.

So waists, while nice on some, are not sacred things. We do not need to worship the small waist. A loose shift garment, done right, can be fine. I don't own a single belt. I privately hate waistlines. So I'm with you on that.

Neither am I much for showing the breasts. No.

I don't share your dislike of the defined arm. I love a mutton-chop, or puffy sleeve. But you are the designer.

The 1920s flapper had no waist.

In the evening, she wore a long loose dress that hung on her, made in a very dressy fabric.

As we are not flappers, we will do without her low neckline and feather boa.

But there is plenty to be done with a shift design.

A lot of us, with too-high waistlines, such as myself, will not miss a defined waist. Defined waists are nice if you have perfect proportions.

I am NOT talking about everyday wear. I am talking about wedding dresses.

If somebody wants to shamelessly copy nice wedding dresses obtained from Mormons and Mennonites and other cultures, go for it. They will understand. They, after all, take care of themselves, and will accept that we want to do that too.

Tznius Fashion already has the bits and pieces that a seamstress can assemble and organize to craft a nice wedding dress.

The hard part is doing all that work. Tznius Fashion, please do it for us. Present a pattern for a wedding dress, already assembled and ready to go. Make it easy for us. Make a direct link that goes straight to it. There can be a few later, but start with one.

Your website is rich but confusing. Look at Suspenders Dot Com to see a very dense product line full of minuscule details and variations presented in wonderfully transparent clarity. Very easy to zero in on what you want and need, while seeing what's available you might think about some other day.

Marimekko made some excellent shifts back in the old days. Nobody sneered at THEM. The fabric was carrying the day there.

Yes, those would need adjustments for our use. But you see the point: a loose dress can be a terrific dress, done right. Those are classics.

Adding a sleeve might not daunt some. Maybe. But making a neckline higher? That's not so simple. Tznius Fashion, make it easy for us. We are not all geniuses out here.

Please. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing