Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
NY/NJ day school salaries

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 10:10 am
This is a topic that isn't discussed and seems sort of secretive. In public school, your salary is set based on years of experience and amount of schooling/educational degrees. Why is it all about what you manage to negotiate in Jewish day schools? Is 50K going rate for a teacher coming in with about 13 years of teaching experience??

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 10:45 am
It totally depends on the school. MO schools generally expect high qualifications, and that generally corresponds to higher pay and better benefits. The further right you move, the lower the credentials and the lower the pay. When I taught 3 afternoons a week at a girls high school (MO, and I have an advanced degree) I was paid just under 30k.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 11:23 am
I'm talking about an MO school and I have good credentials/an advanced degree. Would that be an underpaid salary?

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 11:31 am
sounds very low. I have a MA, have been teaching in public school in NYC for only 3 years and I make close to 60k

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 29 2015, 12:01 pm
Not surprised to hear that but public school pays better, no?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, May 30 2015, 6:27 pm
Maybe I was not clear. The 30k was for a very part time position. Full timers definitely got over 60k. But you are right that it's hard to negotiate when salaries are not out in the open. Your best bet is speak to someone at the school where you hope to teach. Good luck!

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I was not clear. The 30k was for a very part time position. Full timers definitely got over 60k. But you are right that it's hard to negotiate when salaries are not out in the open. Your best bet is speak to someone at the school where you hope to teach. Good luck!

Right I got that. I was referring to the other poster about public school salaries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics