Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Minestrone Soup Mix

SmartWife

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 6:56 pm
I have a minestrone soup mix I want to use for a tomato minestrone soup.
The directions say to add the mix to 5 cups of boiling water. Any ideas how to make it into a tomato soup?
Thanks a lot!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 7:04 pm
I make minestrone soup from scratch and I use canned tomatoes so I would sub canned tomatoes for part of the liquid.

What is mix because minestrone soup is really just a form of vegetable soup with generally some chickpeas as well as the other standard veggies. I sauté onions, garlic and celery with some herbs and other seasonings. Then I add broth and canned tomatoes. I have a good recipe if anyone wants something specific.

But to get it tomato based, add a can or two of chopped tomatoes in their own liquid and adjust rest of liquid.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 7:52 pm
SmartWife wrote:
I have a minestrone soup mix I want to use for a tomato minestrone soup.
The directions say to add the mix to 5 cups of boiling water. Any ideas how to make it into a tomato soup?
Thanks a lot!
You can use tomato juice

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 11:12 am
Tomato juice is generally very high on sodium. This may or may not be important to you. I don't know what is in the mix but I would imagine it also has a high sodium amount.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 3:27 pm
Would love to get the recipe!! From all those posts of yours, you sound like an amazing cook!!TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 4:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
Tomato juice is generally very high on sodium. This may or may not be important to you. I don't know what is in the mix but I would imagine it also has a high sodium amount.
True.
Boiling water can also be used as directed on the package and just a few Tbsp of tomato paste added.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:17 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
Would love to get the recipe!! From all those posts of yours, you sound like an amazing cook!!TIA

This is really just a guide post because you can add any vegetables you like. I have a version using potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, Savoy cabbage, regular cabbage, carrots. I generally use more veggies than the recipe calls for because it's such a good way to get veggies eaten.

You can reduce the amount of beans if you prefer and of course change to beans you prefer.

If you like more of a pronounced tomato taste, increase the amount of canned tomatoes and reduce the water.

You do need to sauté the onions and garlic and then I add dry spices and sauté them for about a minute to allow the flavors to "bloom".

If I am using baby spinach, I just add leaves to the bowls right before I serve because they really don't need to cook and they wilt sufficiently. I have found that if I cook spinach in soup it becomes too slimy if I want to use leftovers. You could probably use chopped greens - mustard, turnip, collars and they would need to be added at the beginning because they need to cook for a long period of time.

This version of the soup is parve. If you are willing to make a dairy version, you can throw in the rind of a Parmesan cheese (assuming you have a rind that you have saved Very Happy) and, parmesan cheese sprinkled in the bowl is always a tasty addition.

Olive Garden Minestrone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup minced white onion (about 1 small onion)
1⁄ 2 cup diced zucchini
1⁄ 2 cup frozen cut Italian cut green beans
1⁄ 4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
4 cups vegetable broth (Swanson is good *note ( Do not use chicken broth!*)
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1⁄ 2 cup carrot (julienned or shredded)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
1⁄ 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄ 2 teaspoon dried basil
1⁄ 4 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups hot water
4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
1⁄ 2 cup small shell pasta

Directions:

Heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.

Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.

Saute the dried spices for about 1 minute

Add vegetable broth to pot, plus drained tomatoes, red wine, beans, carrot, hot water and parsley.

Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Add pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency.

Add spinach about a minute or two before serving

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

November

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:55 pm
That looks so yummy! Thanks for posting
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics