Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Need help finding a wedding hall and caterer in Brooklyn
1  2  Next

mema613

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 8:25 pm
Daughter got engaged, now I need help finding a hall/caterer for the affair. The other side are Russian immigrants and the boy a Bal Teshuvah there are no funds to be counted on from his side so I am tasked with paying for everything. From the boys side there will be about 50 guests so we are looking for a place in Brooklyn that can accommodate 200 people, 250 tops. We are retired and moved down to Florida and have no need to impress anyone, we are looking for a decent place (no paint peeling from walls), decent shmorg (looking for better than two or three hot plates), don’t really care about the main, roast chicken bottoms is fine (never was really impressed with the main, after all, how can one eat after a really good shmorg).

All leads would be appreciated.

ROFL

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 8:38 pm
Mazal tov. Try kings terrace on kings highway and est 8 th street. Don't know if this name and number is current. Tuvia. 347 2246640

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 11:23 pm
Try Merkaz Hasimcha 7183393363.
It is not typically a wedding hall but I did attend a smaller wedding there once and was very nice. Because it's not so big it doesn't look empty with fewer people.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 8:18 am
Mazel tov! I was just looking through my notes on different wedding venues from this past year, and one option that may be good for you is the Renaissance ballroom in Boro Park. I ultimately never checked them out because they have a minimum of 200 and my wedding was much smaller, but it might work for you. It's supposed to be nice, and they were charging $35 p/p (not sure what that includes though).

Sasson v'simcha might also be an option. They are $25 p/p and that includes everything and offer reasonably priced upgrades. But someone told me last week that they drove by and saw a for rent sign up so I don't know if they're still operating, or if that was just for renting out the place during the day.

nyer1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 8:38 am
ROFL wrote:
Mazal tov. Try kings terrace on kings highway and est 8 th street. Don't know if this name and number is current. Tuvia. 347 2246640

I don't think kings terrace is in existence anymore

happy12

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 8:48 am
Schicks Manor
4901 12 ave

They do small weddings and do a beautiful job.

mema613

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 5:15 am
nyer1 wrote:
I don't think kings terrace is in existence anymore

True, past them by and they no longer exist Sad

mema613

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 5:38 am
I am curious, the more reasonable places that exist and that people are mentioning will they allow mixed seating? The chassan is a BT but everyone else on the other side is not frum in the least (Russians) so even though I will be having to pay for everything (including FLOP) I have a feeling that I would not be able to demand strictly separate seating from them.

I am having difficulty cracking and understanding the cultural difference. They have no problem to demand an "honorable" wedding which they said goes for $30,000 for 100 guests (we will need 250-300) and they have no problem saying that the couple should use their wedding money to pay for the wedding and then they take out a loan for the rest. My daughter is telling her chassan that "I want to walk away from the wedding with funds to help us begin our lives". I am trying to navigate these waters without causing major waves. For goodness sake, we are talking about a few hours here which gets quickly forgotten after a few months. I have budgeted around $20-25k for my daughter's wedding and still have one more daughter to go.

Last edited by mema613 on Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:07 am
The traditionally frum wedding halls listed here will not likely allow you to do mixed seating. You'd need a place that's not specifically Jewish, or a more modern/open-minded shul that won't mind what you do.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:48 am
doctorima wrote:
The traditionally frum wedding halls listed here will not likely allow you to do mixed seating. You'd need a place that's not specifically Jewish, or a more modern/open-minded shul that won't mind what you do.

Not necessarily, I have been at mixed seating at some of these halls.

How do the Chassan and Kallah want the seating arrangements?

Also if the parents on the other side don't want to financially contribute then I don't see why they should be dictating how the wedding takes place. The Chassan and Kallah have to learn how to say I am sorry we are not able to do that, I am sorry we wish we could but it is not possible. That is a skill that they will need.

happy to be me

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 8:39 am
I think if you explain the situation caterers will work with you. You can have separate seating and a few mixed tables. I've heard of caterers working with that as long as the dancing was kept separate.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 9:24 am
http://www.chossonandkallah.co......html

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 9:45 am
Tora Vyira on Ft. Hamilton pkwy. very reasonable hall. The chadsidic people don't make weddings the last week of the month so these halls are available then

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 1:20 pm
Try Sissu v'Simchu on 18 Avenue in Boro Park. If it's not big enough they have another hall nearby on Coney Island. The hall is nice, prices are reasonable, and the food is good.
We got married there and had separate seating with mixed seating (tables reserved for mixed seating) optional for our friends who are allergic to the sight of a mechitza. I think most halls in frum neighborhoods have separate seating by default but they can accommodate to mixed seating.
We paid less than $2000, everything included: hall and food for 60-70 guests, gown, sheitel, etc.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:09 pm
sasson v'simcha which I mentioned (managed by the same person who does sissu v'simchu) allows mixed seating.

mema613

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 5:16 pm
nicole81 wrote:
sasson v'simcha which I mentioned (managed by the same person who does sissu v'simchu) allows mixed seating.

Got a callback and was informed that it is closed. Caterer stated that he is now affiliated with Ocean Terrace, Ocean Parkway and Ave L, which I assume is YOB (Yeshiva of Brooklyn). He will be in operation mid August, which is fine by me with a starting price of $26/pp. Max 300 people. So price and capacity works for me. Will probably check out the place on Wednesday when he comes in. Good starting point (at least on paper).

Waiting for a callback from Rockwood Park Jewish Center and Hewlett-East Rockaway Jewish center. I attended weddings in the past at both locations and liked them. Tomorrow I try Renaissance and Rose Castle then go down the list from Chosson&Kallah http://www.chossonandkallah.co.....ed_in

nicole81

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 5:43 pm
Mazel tov, and hatzlacha! Just FYI you might need to be on top of Rockwood Park... they were on my original list of halls to check because I heard their price and capacity might be right for me, but they never returned my call.

mema613

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 6:59 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Mazel tov, and hatzlacha! Just FYI you might need to be on top of Rockwood Park... they were on my original list of halls to check because I heard their price and capacity might be right for me, but they never returned my call.

I am not holding my breath on this one. They had a fight with their caterer and took them to court. Question is if they replaced them or are out of the simcha business.

rosehill

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:11 pm
Rockwood Park JC no longer has an in-house caterer.

mema613

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:24 pm
rosehill wrote:
Rockwood Park JC no longer has an in-house caterer.

True, I just got off the phone with them - no catering in the shul - a shame.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics