Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone know of an approach or treatment...

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 2:05 pm
Anyone know of an approach/treatment that helps people that takes things way too literally? This is typical of people with Asperger's.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 5:06 pm
I wish I knew. I've struggled with it my whole life. Sad I know I do it, but I really think that's just the way my brain is wired. People always think I'm so naive, because I believe that they mean what they say. Why would I automatically assume that someone is trying to deceive me? If they said it, they must have meant exactly what they said, right? Confused

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:00 pm
my daughter is exactly like this. she is working with an excellent speech therapist

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:18 pm
Specify what you say. Let the child repeat what it means for him.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:43 pm
is aspergers that I believe everything dh tellsme? I am so sensitive, I get so hurt so quickly. does this mean I have aspergers. I am not the greatest at social ques. how can I figure this out?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:48 pm
my son does the same. there are some therapists who will help kids work on being more aware of facial cues, but I don't recall what type of therapy. I've gotten used to it, though. the only trouble is when his reactions seem chutzpadik when they're just his reaction to the literal meaning of whatever was said. we've been working on that, and it's definitely getting better.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:13 pm
Quick funny story. I've learned how to use common phrases, but DD still takes things very literally. One Shabbos, after lunch, I was sitting at the table and relaxing. DD says to me "What are you looking at?" and I tell her "Just staring off into space." She peers intently in that direction and says, very seriously "Mama, there's nothing out there!"

LOL

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:26 pm
Sienna amother, it might be a good idea for you to look at online tests or read further, so as to begin to set your mind at ease one way or the other.

OP, yes, haven't you heard of the medication called Symbolica? You give your kid 6 months on it, and boom, they stop being so literal.

Don't we all wish it existed.

If you are not familiar with some of the good resources out there for kids with Aspergers, I recommend Michelle Garcia Winner's work, and the book Asperkids.

Both offer some strategies. But it's a long uphill climb, with no "there", just "better than before."

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:30 pm
If you're talking about yourself, or a DD, this book is excellent. http://www.amazon.com/Aspergir.....58261

I found myself going "Yes, YES!!!" many times. Very enlightening, and useful for girls on the Autism spectrum, as well as Fragile X Syndrome.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 5:23 am
OP here. Thanks for all your responses.

Just to clarify, I didn't know where to post so posted in this section however the person I am talking about is not a child.

Another important thing to note is that I wrote that this behavior is typical of those with Asperger's so that people should know what 'behavior' I'm talking about but this person does not actually have Asperger's as such.

Which sort of therapist should they be looking for?

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 6:54 am
What kind of therapist?

Does this person want to get help with this issue?

If so, then first suggestion would be a speech therapist. I have a friend who does this, and she has a number of adult clients who are in a similar position.

Second suggestion would be to look for a group which helps adults with social skills issues. The group setting is particularly helpful because sometimes, we learn more quickly from watching others. A psychologist or speech therapist who works with Aspergers patients may be able to give a referral.

Is it possible that the person should be tested? The label doesn't mean much for a basically funcrioning adult, but it is an asset to self knowledge.

And even if the person doesn't have Aspergers, working with individuals who specialize in those that do may be the best strategy.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 6:59 am
Thank you imasinger. Yes, the person does want to get help so that he can better fit into society. I will pass on your suggestions.

naomi2

Post Fri, Jun 05 2015, 3:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I wish I knew. I've struggled with it my whole life. Sad I know I do it, but I really think that's just the way my brain is wired. People always think I'm so naive, because I believe that they mean what they say. Why would I automatically assume that someone is trying to deceive me? If they said it, they must have meant exactly what they said, right? Confused

Im JUST like that too!

sunmom

Post Sat, Jun 20 2015, 6:54 pm
Hi,
My son has Aspergers and is very literal, and we did a group therapy session with him using Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). It's a subset of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and although a lot of it is geared toward emotional regulation, it puts you more in touch with yourself and your feelings and perceptions of things- which helps with the tendency to be very literal. He gained a lot from it- lots of good life skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)