Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Shabbos seuda

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:21 pm
Every single seuda ends in a disaster. Kids refuse to sit by the table... How does ur seuda look like? Any tips are welcome (kids ages 5-9)

November

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:42 pm
What is the goal of your shabbos seudah, OP?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:42 pm
the kids come, eat some food, go play. dh and I stay at the table longer. we call the kids back for parsha discussion and dessert. ages 3-8. it's not a disaster. the kids would go nuts if they had to sit as long as we do. the older they get, the longer they stay.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:49 pm
Do your children eat a formal dinner every evening? Or even breakfast in the morning? That should be practice for a Shabbos seuda. Also, many children need a chance to play in the middle of a long seuda as the poster above described.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:49 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
the kids come, eat some food, go play. dh and I stay at the table longer. we call the kids back for parsha discussion and dessert. ages 3-8. it's not a disaster. the kids would go nuts if they had to sit as long as we do. the older they get, the longer they stay.

I don't have kids for the time being, but that's what all my friends do, they let the kids play and call them whenever they should be present.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 9:05 pm
We do the same as mommie dearest above.

We also eat sit down family dinner each night so that's good practice.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 9:26 pm
Yep. We even taught the kids to ask "may I be excused?" before they bolted. I think we did that more to keep them from announcing "I need to make!" than out of any aspirations to resemble the Family Cleaver, but it was all to the good.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 3:29 am
My kids sit at the table for kiddish, challah, fish and if they want soup. Then they can leave the table and read or play. on friday nights I put them to bed after the soup. Before shabbos comes in I fed them so they dont have to wait to long for the main.Shabbos day the same. Before the sudah they will eat cholent and then sit at the table for kiddish etc and fish and liver with matzo. Then they go and play.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 6:53 am
My kids sat through the meals from age 5.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 7:24 am
My kids (2.5 - 8) generally sit through the meal. Though if one of them can't for whatever reason they can go rest for a while and come back when they are ready.
One thing we are strict about is that though they don't HAVE to sing zmiros, they may not talk while Aba and Mommy are singing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics