Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Hearty Vegetable Soup (Cooks Illustrated)

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 10:51 am
This is a bit more of a potchkey because the stock is enhanced with roasted veggies but the result is really excellent.

Hearty Vegetable Soup

Serves 4 to 6 as a Main

Stock

1 large carrot, peeled and chopped medium
1 celery rib, chopped medium
1 medium onion, chopped medium
3 medium portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used 2 large)
1 medium garlic head, outer papery skins removed and the top third of head cut off and discarded
3 T olive oil
1 heaping T tomato paste
9 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 medium leeks (about 1 pound), green parts chopped, white parts sliced thin crosswise
10 sprigs fresh parsley
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves (omitted)
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms rinsed

Soup

1 can (14 1/2 ounced) diced tomatoes, drained
2 small russet potatoes (about 12 ounces) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 medium celeriac, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 small escarole head, washed stemmed and leaves cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup frozen baby lima beans, optional
2 T minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper

1. For the stock: Heat oven to 450. Place carrot, celery, onion, portobellos and garlic on rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Add tomato paste and toss again until evenly coated. Spread veggies in even layer, set garlic head cut side up; roast until vegetables are well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. (Be careful not to burn them to a crisp )

2. Combine roasted vegetables, broth, leek greens, parsley, thyme, bay and porcini in large Dutch oven; cover and bring to simmer over med-high heat, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer partially covered, 30 minutes. Remove garlic head; squeeze garlic head at root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic to paste in small bowl and set aside. Strain stock through large fine-mest strainer, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possble; discard solids in strainer.

3. For the soup: Rinse and wipe Dutch oven (I didn't); add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celeriac, reserved whites of leeks, strained broth and garlic paste to pot and bring to simmer over med-high heat, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer, partially covered until vegetables are tender when poked, about 25 minutes. Mash some potatoes against side of pot to thicken soup (I skipped that too). Stir in escarole and lima beans; cook until escarole is wilted and limas are heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning.

They recommend serving this with crostini floated on top. Lacking French bread, I skipped this as well. However, to make it even heartier and because I love whole grains, I added about 3/4 cup of pearl barley with all the soup vegetables. Yummy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics