Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hole in the sheet
1  2  Next

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:31 pm
No, this is not about THAT.
I don't understand why my husband's bedsheets tear while mine are intact. This just happened again. The sheets are about ten years old. Mine and his are washed together so it's not the laundry.
Also what do I do when my sheet is in fine condition and his is worn out? Do I get rid of both? The duvet covers are both usable and solid colored so that I will continue to use.
Any insight is appreciated.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:36 pm
OMG! totally caught my attention by your title- sooo funny! If I had to guess he probably moves around a lot more than you. I would save the good sheet. 10years is pretty amazing for a sheet to last that long and still be in great condition..

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:42 pm
save the good sheet. use it as a guest sheet or a purim costume. or just have mismatched sheets occasionally. *gasp*

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:57 pm
eema1 wrote:
OMG! totally caught my attention by your title- sooo funny! If I had to guess he probably moves around a lot more than you. I would save the good sheet. 10years is pretty amazing for a sheet to last that long and still be in great condition..

Not exactly "amazing condition" but definitely usable. I think you and mummiedearest are right about saving the good one. thanks to you both.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:23 pm
You were asking for the jokes.
Honestly we have a similar situation.
10 years for sheets to last is excellent. YOu can replace just the sheets.
I think it has to do with how restless a sleeper someone is and how much friction on the sheets.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:32 pm
Out of curiosity, do you not have matching sheets? how do you know which is yours and which is his? I suppose that would be the solution - to switch sheets to the opposite beds when changing the linens.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:43 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you not have matching sheets? how do you know which is yours and which is his? I suppose that would be the solution - to switch sheets to the opposite beds when changing the linens.

why would you have to know which sheet is his and which is yours?

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:50 pm
Simple1 wrote:

I was hoping no one would ask. We have matching sheets but it's actually one set. I give him the bed sheet and I use the top sheet to cover my bed. It's a queen size and the beds are smaller so it covers the mattress and I just tuck in the edges. That's how I know that HIS sheets are so worn out.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:50 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
why would you have to know which sheet is his and which is yours?

I was wondering how she's keeping track of who is the one who is wearing out the sheets.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:53 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I was wondering how she's keeping track of who is the one who is wearing out the sheets.

I see.

good point.

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:54 pm
sky wrote:
You were asking for the jokes.
Honestly we have a similar situation.
10 years for sheets to last is excellent. YOu can replace just the sheets.
I think it has to do with how restless a sleeper someone is and how much friction on the sheets.

When you say 'similar situation ' do you mean you also have one worn out sheet and one good one? What do you do? I can't replace just one sheet because I would never be able to find the same kind so many years later. Also it's not ten years of exclusively using these sheets.

little_mage

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:56 pm
Where is the hole(s)? Is it possible that there are rough spots on nails or clothing that are getting caught?
Also, I'd save the good one and just replace the one with the hole.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:56 pm
Delores wrote:
I was hoping no one would ask. We have matching sheets but it's actually one set. I give him the bed sheet and I use the top sheet to cover my bed. It's a queen size and the beds are smaller so it covers the mattress and I just tuck in the edges. That's how I know that HIS sheets are so worn out.

Maybe the fitted sheets are more susceptible to wear and tear as they are pulled tightly on the bed? I don't know, just thinking aloud. Or you can try like I said, switching off.

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:59 pm
little_mage wrote:
Where is the hole(s)? Is it possible that there are rough spots on nails or clothing that are getting caught?
Also, I'd save the good one and just replace the one with the hole.

The holes are under the pillow area. I can't replace these sheets since they were purchased so long ago. Also as someone mentioned it's not a big deal to get new sheets , I am mostly just curious why this happens specifically to HIS sheet and not mine.

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 2:01 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Maybe the fitted sheets are more susceptible to wear and tear as they are pulled tightly on the bed? I don't know, just thinking aloud. Or you can try like I said, switching off.

This is an interesting theory. I'm not sure it's pulled tighter since the queen sized fitted sheet is bigger than the mattress. I guess it's possible though.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 2:03 pm
Delores wrote:
The holes are under the pillow area. I can't replace these sheets since they were purchased so long ago. Also as someone mentioned it's not a big deal to get new sheets , I am mostly just curious why this happens specifically to HIS sheet and not mine.

he probably slides his pillow in his sleep.

anyway, just keep the good sheet as a backup.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 2:08 pm
Does your husband sleep in a different position than you? Mine sleeps on his side with an arm under his pillow- I could see getting a hole there if his nails are less regularly trimmed, or if he has buttoned cuffs on his pajamas.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 2:32 pm
Would it help to put another sheet under his to minimize the friction? I'm thinking a silky type. Then again the sheet would slide around.
Consider this a bracha! You can finally get matching sheets that fit!

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:53 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Does your husband sleep in a different position than you? Mine sleeps on his side with an arm under his pillow- I could see getting a hole there if his nails are less regularly trimmed, or if he has buttoned cuffs on his pajamas.

It could definitely be from his watch. thanks for the perspective!

Delores

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 4:58 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Would it help to put another sheet under his to minimize the friction? I'm thinking a silky type. Then again the sheet would slide around.
Consider this a bracha! You can finally get matching sheets that fit!

We have other sheets so I'll wait until I find a bargain on something I like. I'm not so upset about the sheets as I am confused about what's causing the holes. I do agree with everyone that ten years is long enough to hang onto sheets and it's time for me to move on. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics