Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Lunch Ideas needed

curlyhead

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 6:48 am
my husband schedule just changed and will not be coming home for lunch anymore. I am looking for ideas of what to send for lunch. He has a good appetite

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 7:30 am
I'm looking forward to reading suggestions, because I also have to take lunch to work and have a good appetite! Very Happy

queen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 8:14 am
Hope this gives some ideas:

SANDWICHES
-----------------
made on: bread, bagel, pita or wraps.....
(FILLINGS: tuna, egg, peanut butter, jelly, cheese, cream cheese, cold cuts)

"dress up" your sandwich by adding lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes etc.

SALADS
-----------
(buy disposable containers at grocery/drug store. that way if they don't make it home no one loses sleep).

be creative. base your salad with lettuce, adding as you wish: tomatoes, cucumbers, canned corn, g'bonzo beans, mushrooms, croutons, cubes of cold cuts (buy from deli counter cold cuts in 1/4 pound chunks--- and then cut up into squares/chunks)

Dressings: use bottled dressings!!!!

SUPPER LEFT OVERS
------------------------------
(depending on being able to heat up at work)

SNACKS
---------------------------
sliced cucumbers
carrot sticks
celery sticks
cookies
cake (after shabbos each week I cut up the left over cake, wrapping the pieces individually in foil before freezing. very easy way to drop piece of cake into lunch each day)
dried apricots
pretzels

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

tzivi

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 9:16 am
My husband is a menaker and goes to work at 2.30am everyday. Therefore I have to make a big lunch as he eats breakfast and lunch at work.
For his birthday a few years ago I brought him an insulated bag to take his lunch in daily. It keeps his lunch either hot or cold, whatever the food is meant to be.
I usually send muesli in a sealed container and milk in a small bottle.
That is breakfast covered.
For lunch I slice vegetables - cucumbers, carrots and capsicums.
I also send quartered apples and oranges (he doesn't have time at work to eat a whole fruit or peel a whole fruit. He just grabs one at a time when he has time.
I also make either sandwiches or rolls, with sliced cheese, humous, salad or cold meats inside.
Sometimes I chop up a salad and place it into a small container.
Leftovers are also a great idea. Leftover cake and kugels from Shabbos are great. I individually wrap them up and put them into lunches. Yerushalmi and/or Lockshen kugel is great during the week - even cold.
Small pekelach of crackers or dry biscuits are also a good quick snack.
A flask is also a good idea, to fill up with hot chocolate or coffee, especially when it's COLD!!
Hope some of that helps!!

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 11:15 am
Excuse my ignorance , what is a menaker?

daisy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 11:27 am
Using tortillas and making wraps is an alternative to sandwiches. My daughter used to like soy meats (you can use regular cold cuts) or cheese rolled up in these, or you can put in veggies with chicken, meat, or fish and wrap like a traditional tortilla sandwich. Sometimes you can find these wraps with spices in them to make them more interesting.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 11:33 am
Rochel Leah wrote:

The person who removes the chelev (forbidden fats) and forbidden gidim (sinews) from slaughtered animals.

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 2:30 pm
WOW! what a cool job! never heard of it, either!

some more ideas: yogurts, rice cakes (with the suggested fillings from others), I even put pasta (w/ sauce or cheese) in a container. my daughter will eat it cold. I double-wrap mine and microwave it.

supermom

Post Sat, Jun 25 2005, 6:55 pm
and your husband is able to eat after that kind of job? sometimes I give my husband take out as a "treat" when I am not in the mood of making him lunch.

technic

Post Sat, Jun 25 2005, 7:51 pm
excuse MY ignorance - WHAT r gbonzo beans...???

tzivi

Post Sat, Jun 25 2005, 8:05 pm
why wouldn't my husband be able to eat after that kind of job??

sarahd

Post Sat, Jun 25 2005, 8:30 pm
technic wrote:
excuse MY ignorance - WHAT r gbonzo beans...???

Chickpeas.

technic

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 4:42 am
ohhhhhhhhh ty! Very Happy

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 5:15 am
sarahd wrote:
Rochel Leah wrote:

The person who removes the chelev (forbidden fats) and forbidden gidim (sinews) from slaughtered animals.

after having to take out all the insides and junk out of a dead animal I don't know it would gross me out to even think of food. my cause I am a woman I don't know it will just gross me out.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 6:54 am
First of all, a menaker doesn't remove the insides of the animal. He just works with the meat. No more nauseating than what a butcher does. Certainly less so than a shochet's work. Besides, you can get used to just about anything.

tzivi

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 7:45 am
A menaker removes the forbidden veins, etc from the animals. It sounds disgusting especially to women but we all get used to certain things. My husband certainly did and when we first got married I was totally grossed out but I also got used to his job and I am really proud of what he does. A. Because he works in avodas Hashem and B. because he works really hard to support a growing family. I guess when you put those things together you don't have a choice but to get used to the job (especially when he goes to work at 2.30 in the morning).

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 8:55 am
still grosses me out sorry. how many hours does he work? 2:30 in the morning that is early!! shock

tzivi

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 9:07 am
He's usually home by 10.00 am except in the weeks preceding yomtov.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen