Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O when did you start doing your own laundry?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:07 am
I only started on a regular basis when I went to seminary -- but I never really moved back home after that, so I've been doing it straight since then.

In high school I did help with the laundry (mainly hanging and folding), but not my things in particular -- all the family laundry was done together (as others have said, it wouldn't make sense to run separate loads for each person's stuff in each category), but everyone had jobs to help with the process.

I did learn how to do my own laundry before going away to camp as a staff member after 10th grade (in the camp I went to the laundry for campers was sent out but staff members had the use of machines in the camp grounds).

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:08 am
I grew up in a non-frum, upper-middle class home. So I only started doing laundry when I left for college at 18. Growing up, we had a babysitter/maid who did it for us. I do not think this was correct - I don't think it's a problem for the mother to do the teenagers' laundry on a regular basis within the family load, but the teenagers should just as easily put in a load if they see it sitting next to the machine, or if the mother asks, etc.

Fox

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:33 am
Doing the family laundry was my first paid employment, starting at about age 10 or 11.

My mother worked full-time and had no desire to spend her evenings doing laundry, and I wanted extra money. So she paid me by the load as well as for ironing.

We didn't have a dryer in those days, so laundry had to be dragged outside in the summer and hung up on clotheslines. In the winter, it was hung up on clotheslines in the basement.

Needless to say, I was very motivated, and items were barely dropped in the hamper before I'd spirited them away. I also became a very aggressive ironer. Pillowcases were starched and ironed. I don't think I actually ironed underwear, but it wouldn't surprise me. I went through bottle after bottle of spray starch.

I think my earnings totalled about $5 a week, and my mother was delighted with the bargain. As I got older, I continued to do the family laundry, but I demonstrated a good deal less alacrity in the task.

gibberish

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 3:39 am
I started helping with my family's laundry when I was in 4th or 5th grade. It wasn't exclusively my responsibility, but I definitely helped out quite a bit. When I was in high school I got tired of my socks landing in my siblings' drawers and insisted on doing my own loads.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:03 am
My first and only time I tried, I ruined DH's tzitzis.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:41 am
In college (age 17). Before that I had household cores at home, but laundry wasn't one of them.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 7:32 am
DH taught me when we got married. embarrassed I did do laundry in camp but it consisted of tossing my entire unsorted laundry bag into the machine, pouting some tide in, and hoping for the best. I did grow up with cleaning help, though, and I see this is making a difference in people's replies.

I like to think I wasn't totally irresponsible- I did earn and spend my own money. Just some household things like laundry and cooking never landed on my plate.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 8:10 am
Married...
And yeah, I didn't know how to cook or clean either.

miri15

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:24 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
When I got married. Mine and my husbands and shortly after my kids, bh

Same here. Actually also in camp (but that different).

miri15

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:25 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Again same here. Although Apparently I'm a quick learner LOL

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:32 pm
In seminary. My parents have full time cleaning help. Honestly, there wasn't really anything to learn. I just followed directions. I don't think learning later was at all an issue since the learning process took 30 seconds. Now we have cleaning help do laundry on Fridays and if she can't come or we have more laundry than usual my husband or I just do it.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:34 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Married...
Same here but I've caught on since then

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:40 pm
As soon as I was tall enough to jump onto the machine to reach the dials.
My mother though, had been washing her clothes for years but only learned how to sort when my father taught her. She was surprised at how white the shirts came out!

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 2:51 pm
Around age 12. I didn't want my younger brothers seeing my "women" clothes and making fun.
lol. they did anyway, but I was so self conscious of my laundry

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:05 pm
tichellady wrote:
In seminary. My parents have full time cleaning help. Honestly, there wasn't really anything to learn. I just followed directions. I don't think learning later was at all an issue since the learning process took 30 seconds. Now we have cleaning help do laundry on Fridays and if she can't come or we have more laundry than usual my husband or I just do it.

This. I dont get the big deal. Of all the things that kids should learn, this is so minor. I mean, it certainly takes a lot of time to DO, but it takes no time to learn.
My kids are familiar with the concept of separating into different loads, since I have them throw each piece into a 'sorted' hamper from the beginning. That way I dont have to sort, it's all sorted already.
But what buttons to press on the panel? They don't know, no big deal, it's different with every machine anyway. Besides, I wouldn't want each member of the family starting to use the machine whenever they need....too much balagan, I need it too often.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:06 pm
My parents did the laundry but the kids folded and put everything away. I knew how to do laundry from a young age and did put in loads when I wanted to help out or if I needed something that wasn't washed yet. Even now if I'm at my parents for y't I'll put up loads for them when I see the laundry room piling up.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:26 pm
since I was around ten, maybe? all three siblings, around that age. once anyone started caring about which clothes they wanted to wear to which thing, laundry became your responsibility.

bruriyah

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 5:56 pm
Doing my own laundry since I was 12. Although I would occasionally ask my mother do wash something if it required special care, but then once once I learned those things, I did it myself too.

bluebird

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:20 pm
I think I was 12 when I started doing it all on my own, but I remember helping earlier.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:16 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
This. I dont get the big deal. Of all the things that kids should learn, this is so minor. I mean, it certainly takes a lot of time to DO, but it takes no time to learn.
My kids are familiar with the concept of separating into different loads, since I have them throw each piece into a 'sorted' hamper from the beginning. That way I dont have to sort, it's all sorted already.
But what buttons to press on the panel? They don't know, no big deal, it's different with every machine anyway. Besides, I wouldn't want each member of the family starting to use the machine whenever they need....too much balagan, I need it too often.
Exactly - On everything. Sometimes one of my kids ask to do a small load (She must have that blue skirt tomorrow, He realized that he forgot to empty his tiyul tik 2 weeks ago...), then I tell them that they have to let me fill the machine with other stuff too. But I have my laundry system which doesn't involve private loads.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry