Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Two inmates escaped from maximum security prison

morah

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 6:10 pm
Yikes!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06.....;_r=0

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 7:40 pm
Yikes is right!

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:47 pm
Hashem will protect us.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 12:03 am
This is OT, but:

Matt has escaped from prison before. He had a long criminal record, including burglaries and murders. And yet,
"At the time of the escape, Mr. Matt was serving a sentence of 25 years to life with no chance for parole before 2032."

Ahem. 25 years to life? What does that mean? He may have been set free after serving 25 years, after all that crime? Why? Now it's a major emergency that he escaped, but in 17 years from now he'll be safe? I won't want to meet him on the street then any more than I want to meet him now.

Seriously, who decides how long each criminal's sentence should be? Shouldn't all murderers be locked up for life? Especially ones who have murdered more than once?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:36 am
the world's best mom wrote:
This is OT, but:

Matt has escaped from prison before. He had a long criminal record, including burglaries and murders. And yet,
"At the time of the escape, Mr. Matt was serving a sentence of 25 years to life with no chance for parole before 2032."

Ahem. 25 years to life? What does that mean? He may have been set free after serving 25 years, after all that crime? Why? Now it's a major emergency that he escaped, but in 17 years from now he'll be safe? I won't want to meet him on the street then any more than I want to meet him now.

Seriously, who decides how long each criminal's sentence should be? Shouldn't all murderers be locked up for life? Especially ones who have murdered more than once?

He's eligible for parole in 2032. There's no guarantee he'll get it, assuming he lives that long, not with the record he's likely to have.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 12:34 pm
I remember when a murderous lunatic escaped from a local hospital and someone rang by me and I was so hysterical lol. IYH it will be fine!!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 1:30 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
He's eligible for parole in 2032. There's no guarantee he'll get it, assuming he lives that long, not with the record he's likely to have.
But why would they even be open to considering it? Murder should get an automatic life sentence without any parole ever. Is there anyone here who disagrees with me on this?

marina

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 1:51 pm
But why would they even be open to considering it? Murder should get an automatic life sentence without any parole ever. Is there anyone here who disagrees with me on this?

I don't know that I agree with this as a blanket rule. If a battered abused woman kills her husband is that really the same as a serial killer? Mmmm...

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 2:01 pm

I don't like blanket rules. There's always a chance that someone will do real tshuva. There's always a chance that there were mitigating circumstances. Look at the individual cases, not intractable rules.

nywife

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 2:31 pm
Is anyone else thinking of the show prison break?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics