Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
In Israel: no sun hats/sunglasses?!

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:00 pm
Every picture I see of camps I'm considering sending my kids to, the kids are squinting b/c of the sun. No hats...no sunglasses.

That got me thinking about how often I see women in Israel wearing a tichel and no hat or sunglasses.

I'm making aliyah b''eH this summer and I have already had several basal cell cancers on my face (b''H, that's the "good" kind to get b/c once it's removed you're "cured"). I really need to wear a sun hat!!! And not have my tween give me grief that "no else does that" (actually, I think she's right about that).

What do people do?! Just slather on lots of sunblock and hope they didn't miss a spot?

And the whole thing about sunglasses not being tznius. OY....

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:01 pm
so what's the question? wear a sunhat. make your teens do the same.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:08 pm
I don't understand the question.

Just because some kids remove their sunglasses for group photos at camp doesn't mean people here don't wear sunglasses. Believe me, we do!

Wear a hat and sunglasses in the sun. The sun is very strong here.

champion

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 2:35 am
not sure what you talking about because kids here don't go on trips without caps. so much so that I remember being told that if I left my hat behind I could not come.
ad kidai cach that my american husband teases this cap mentality so much. he claims that if kids want to feel like they are going a trip(even if they just walking around the block) they put on a cap and veolia! instant trip joy!

hila

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 2:38 am
Yup - for any tiyul - you need a hat, water bottle, nosh and sandwiches. Never mind if it is just to the local park !
And in kaytana, the kids often have the same hats and shirts, so they are protected and identifiable.

June

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 3:53 am
I even put a hat and sunglasses on my one year old.

vicki

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:34 am
OP - I think you're right.
While the kids wear hats on tiyuling, I rarely see hats on the kids just walking to and from school, playing outside after school, etc. I don't and I should - skin cancer is in my family too and I have blond hair and blue eyes. I was at the derm with my daughter and she took one look at me and told me to make an appt for a yearly skin check.
Thanks for the reminder to use lotion and wear a hat.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:30 am
I see more sun hats and sunglasses here than in NY. The sun is very strong here, especially in the summer. I barely leave my house without sunglasses.

I wear a band fall but I assume for those who cover their hair with a scarf it may be more awkward to wear a hat.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:34 am
lately I have seen many frum women wearing, on top of mitpachot or visors, all on top of the mitpachat or wig. Its no big deal.
I say do whatever you wish. Do what you feel comfortable with doing.
As for no hatts in pictures, people usually take them off for pictures.

abound

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 7:37 am
sunglasses are very accepatable even in the most frum cicles in Israel, so I don't know where you are getting that from. All kids wear sun hats on trips, I don't cuz it makes me sweat and uncomfortable. I always start out with one but then it comes off...........
Even the men do, DH goes on a tiyul with the most Meah Shearim boys every Bochur and Rebbe and mashgiach are wearing caps......

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:51 am
Everyone I know over the age of 18 wears sunglasses. Don't know why its not popular among kids.
Hats yes on tiyulim, but for regular days, walking to and fro school.... Not so much.

Stars

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 11:39 am
June wrote:
I even put a hat and sunglasses on my one year old.

Off topic- but how in the world do you get the child to keep it on? My son pulls everything off within 25 seconds!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:14 pm
OP here: whew. Thank you. I do feel better and more reassured....

Hopefully I won't be the only goofy mom with a hat over the tichel Smile

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 10:16 pm
re. sunglasses:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....asses

and

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....asses
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions