Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions for playgroup operators

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:21 am
So I'm thinking about opening a playgroup in like a year and a half from now (not this coming school year, the year after). I'm asking from out of the country so that's why I may sound a little dumb Smile I was wondering if those of you who run playgroups could answer some questions:

1. What age ranges are there for playgroups? What I mean is, 1-2, 2-3, that kind of thing?
2. If you're running a group for 1-2 year olds, is there usually a set time period for naps in the mornings? Or does it go according to each individual child's schedule?
3. For the same age range (1-2), do you actually do any activities? It's kind of in the middle between a metapelet and a gan. Or do the kids just play on their own kind of thing.
4. Do I provide meals, or do parents bring?
5. What are generally the hours for these things? Do they usually end at 1:30, 2, or later?
6. How does it work with picking up your other kids from school? You have to find someone else to take your kids every day, if your husband can't?
7. How does it work with pregnancy? If I give birth some time during the year (which probably won't be during the first year of opening the gan, since I'm expecting now- I'm just asking because I might do this long-term!), how do I find a substitute?
8. What's the best way of advertising for your first year?

Thanks in advance!!!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:28 am
Many of these answers would vary by location. I can tell you what works in my community in Israel, but if you're not here how does it help you?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:29 am
Thanks Wink That's the problem. I'm here now, and know how it works here. But probably unfortunately moving back next year. Don't bash, it's for various reasons I don't want to get into, but I'm very very very sad to leave.

momX4

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:41 am
I am a mom, I dont run a playgroup. I live in NY.

amother wrote:
So I'm thinking about opening a playgroup in like a year and a half from now (not this coming school year, the year after). I'm asking from out of the country so that's why I may sound a little dumb Smile I was wondering if those of you who run playgroups could answer some questions:

1. What age ranges are there for playgroups? What I mean is, 1-2, 2-3, that kind of thing?

They try to do a range of kids within 6 months when kids are that young.

2. If you're running a group for 1-2 year olds, is there usually a set time period for naps in the mornings? Or does it go according to each individual child's schedule?

There is always a set time to nap, after an early lunch

3. For the same age range (1-2), do you actually do any activities? It's kind of in the middle between a metapelet and a gan. Or do the kids just play on their own kind of thing.

Free play, some circle time, story time. The teacher always tells me it depends on the group. There is usually a project or coloring paper sent home atleast once a week (mostly parsha or yom tov related)

4. Do I provide meals, or do parents bring?

All playgroups I send to give snacks and lunch. One even gave breakfast

5. What are generally the hours for these things? Do they usually end at 1:30, 2, or later?

Who will your clientelle be? Working mom, kollel families? The fathers in kollel can do a 2:00 pickup, but part time working moms may need more hours.

6. How does it work with picking up your other kids from school? You have to find someone else to take your kids every day, if your husband can't?

You can ask one of the moms that drop off her kids by you to bring your kids to school for a major price break. I do something like this and pay way less than everyone.

7. How does it work with pregnancy? If I give birth some time during the year (which probably won't be during the first year of opening the gan, since I'm expecting now- I'm just asking because I might do this long-term!), how do I find a substitute?

Ask other playgroups in your neighborhood. There are some women out there that are amazing playgroup substitutes. They dont want to work all the time, so they do 6 weeks at a time.

8. What's the best way of advertising for your first year?

I found my current new playgroup when a different place that was full recommended it to me.

Thanks in advance!!!
[b]

Last edited by momX4 on Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

summer0808

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:42 am
also where are you moving to? Lakewood has different 'rules' than Brooklyn for example.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:44 am
summer0808 wrote:
also where are you moving to? Lakewood has different 'rules' than Brooklyn for example.

Not lakewood or brooklyn, but happy to hear the differences if you're willing to share!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 10:45 am
momX4 wrote:
I am a mom, I dont run a playgroup. I live in NY.

[b]

Thanks so much!!!

kb

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 11:07 am
No playgroup I have ever sent yo provided food.

If it's your first time doing a playgroup in a neighborhood AND you were planning on having a baby in the middle of the year, there's a good chance I wouldn't send to you. Just btw.

summer0808

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 12:33 pm
I can only tell you about lakewood. you'll see it's different than brooklyn.

hours are basically 9:30 to 2 and Fri till 12. Some will have a little extended time 15 minutes earlier/later. Basic rates at this point are about $225/month, sign up for 10 month year.

Ages are divided usually every 6 months. Generally 18-24 months and on & on. Kindergarten or 4 year olds are also considered playgroup and will be divided by gender. 3 year olds sometimes.

Lunch not provided. Snacks are usually on a monthly basis. Meaning you bring a big bag of snacks each month and every day the morah divides. B;h this year my Morahs are providing snack.

No one likes when the Morah has a baby (ch'v not that we're not happy for her but please not when she's my morah) but usually dont have a choice. We sign up Tu Bshavat of the previous year!!!

Longer hours are usually more money and are in a separate category. Though now there seem to be more licensed playgroups around. I assume because there are CHS vouchers available for daycare. Also this is accross the board so if your other children come home at 2 what do you do then. Remember that Primary boys often come home at 2 too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics