Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is this appropriate? Graduation gift prank

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 1:07 pm
My sister is graduating. Is it appropriate to gift her with a wrapped fake diamond ring as a prank? She probably won't get engaged any time soon although she wants. Of coarse after the laugh we will give her the real gift.
I want to stay anonymous because my sisters might me here.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 1:12 pm
Sounds like the kind of prank that could easily be misconstrued as you making fun of her. Stick with the real gift.

silly

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 1:13 pm
I would rather get a real gift

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 1:15 pm
silly wrote:
I would rather get a real gift

OP said she's getting her a real gift as well.

IMNSHO, not only is it not funny, it is a bit mean. Skip it.

silly

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 1:17 pm
o sorry u r right !

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 2:28 pm
It depends on your sister. When my sister was single, although not an older single, we made her a chosson-themed surprise birthday party. There was a chosson - a broom topped with a sheitel head, topped with a black hat. We gave her a veil to wear, someone decorated a cake to look like a man. There was more, but I don't remember everything else we did, she loved it.

Someone else could have been terribly insulted, but we knew that she would love it. She actually just reminded me about it recently, and it was still obvious that she enjoyed it (in case anyone thinks she was faking it then).

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 2:36 pm
glutenless wrote:
It depends on your sister. When my sister was single, although not an older single, we made her a chosson-themed surprise birthday party. There was a chosson - a broom topped with a sheitel head, topped with a black hat. We gave her a veil to wear, someone decorated a cake to look like a man. There was more, but I don't remember everything else we did, she loved it.

Someone else could have been terribly insulted, but we knew that she would love it. She actually just reminded me about it recently, and it was still obvious that she enjoyed it (in case anyone thinks she was faking it then).

ITA, it really depends on your sister, and you now her best. if you and family aren't sure, ask a good friend of hers

Miri7

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:32 pm
You said she wants to get engaged but probably won't anytime soon. So I would not get her a fake engagement ring as that could be hurtful and embarrass her.

It's ok to do a joke gift if the recipient will find it funny - you can't do something that will embarrass her.

For example, when a coworker was leaving the company we wrapped up a few boxes of pens - this coworker loves this particular type of pen, it was kindof an ongoing joke in the office. Then we gave the real goodbye gift. The pens were ok as a joke gift as the recipient thought it was funny and made them feel part of the office group. It didn't make them feel embarrassed. And they had a year's supply of their favorite pens!

CatLady

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 3:48 pm
The fake engagement ring is a bad idea IMO. Not only is is a dig at the fact that she's *still* single (in my family it would have been expected that she focus on her studies and not her social life), but it hearkens back to the time that women were not taken seriously as potential professionals and the cliche was that they only went to college to "get their Mrs."

I love the gift of bulk pens to the former co-worker. My office works like that, too - if we're collecting for Cathy and every Monday she recounts what she bought at Costco, when she turns 50, Costco gift card it is!!! This is what makes a person feel like everyone "gets them".

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:10 pm
What barbara said. I can think of a few things that would be equally hurtful, but not many.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:15 pm
Fake ring a great gag for a guy about to propose, though. Give her an obvious fake, let her struggle to mask her confusion and disappointment, then pop out the real one. If she laughs, she's a keeper. If she doesn't try to mask her confusion and disappointment but pitches a fit when she gets the fake, take back the ring AND the proposal and head for the hills.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:19 pm
Really bad taste, I think.
How is this supposed to make her feel? You think she will feel good to have a diamond ring staring her in the face, a stark reminder that she still isn't a 'real adult' in your eyes, even on the day of her biggest achievement?
Why would you want to undermine her big day by highlighting what she hasn't achieved?
If you can't be funny without being cruel, skip it.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:22 pm
zaq wrote:
Fake ring a great gag for a guy about to propose, though. Give her an obvious fake, let her struggle to mask her confusion and disappointment, then pop out the real one. If she laughs, she's a keeper. If she doesn't try to mask her confusion and disappointment but pitches a fit when she gets the fake, take back the ring AND the proposal and head for the hills.

I would head for the hills if a guy played such a trick on me. (this coming from someone who never got an engagement ring at all).
I really dislike this type of 'gag' meant as a test. If you're not sure she's for you, don't propose. If she is for you, propose in a way that respects her.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:49 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
I would head for the hills if a guy played such a trick on me. (this coming from someone who never got an engagement ring at all).
I really dislike this type of 'gag' meant as a test. If you're not sure she's for you, don't propose. If she is for you, propose in a way that respects her.

I would have laughed. Then again, I didn't expect a ring at all.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
My sister is graduating. Is it appropriate to gift her with a wrapped fake diamond ring as a prank? She probably won't get engaged any time soon although she wants. Of coarse after the laugh we will give her the real gift.
I want to stay anonymous because my sisters might me here.

Why is this funny? I don't get it.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 6:58 pm
zaq wrote:

My husband did something similar. We were already engaged, he didn't propose with the ring, and he knew me well enough to know I would think it was funny. He bought something that looked like a ring box, but really had a fake insect on springs, so it looked real. He knew I detest bugs, I was expecting to be given my ring, we had gone together to pick it out and I knew he had gone to pick it up, so I was all excited, opened the ring box, and there was a bug! I screeched, then realized it was fake and thought it was really funny.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 7:08 pm
Not funny IMO.

Funny would be a fake mortar board in a silly color or with a feather, or something humorous related to her degree, not a ring that points out what she hasn't achieved, rather than what she has.

I'm all for silly gifts, but that has a tinge of unpleasantness about it.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:22 am
Graduating highschool?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:46 am
Not only is it not funny, but it could also potentially be hurtful in the future... I had a similar scenario where I was obsessed with babies and someone got me a 'baby gift' as a joke, well it was great until I went through infertility and even the memory hurt me. Chas vshalom your sister won't get married, but what if for the next 10 years the only ring she gets is that one? Ouch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics