Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
LG Refrigerator - LED magnet light - Shabbos help??

qwerty

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 2:36 am
Does anyone own a new LG fridge that has an internal magnet that turns the light on and off? Is there a way around it for Shabbos?? (as opposed to one of those plunger type buttons that you can just tape down for shabbos ).
I need to make a decision on this new fridge but not sure if there's anything to be done about this? Thanks in advance!

myself

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:58 am
I was on the market for a fridge recently and the latest fridge's are very complicated in terms of Shabbos. I contacted several manufacturers to find out my options but unfortunately most of them were not compatible. In the end I decided to by from a Jewish store as they know all the in's and out's and had some options with Shabbos mode.

Whilst discussing it with someone in the know I became aware of the many problems involved of which I was completely unaware. Some issues:

1. If the fridge has a LED light there is no way to turn it off.
2. Many fridge's beep when left open too long.
3. If you're after a fridge freezer you need to be aware that most of the frost free options have a fan that turns on every time you open the door.

Good luck!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:09 am
Check the Star-K website. They have a list of shabbos approved appliances.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:14 am
Star-K certified appliances: http://star-k.org/cons-appl.htm

Note that most but not all of the certified refrigerators are high end models.

There are also a few "self-certified" refrigerators. I own a huge GE French door fridge with a Sabbath mode that appears to follow all the the Star-K guidelines but doesn't have a hechsher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen