Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Most common things to put in sushi

ez-pass

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:40 am
I usually do lox or Codoke salmon and cucumbers and onions. Sometimes avocado. What is common to put in. (Making a platter for shalosh seudos)

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:29 am
ez-pass wrote:
I usually do lox or Codoke salmon and cucumbers and onions. Sometimes avocado. What is common to put in. (Making a platter for shalosh seudos)

I don't know what Codoke salmon is.

Raw tuna, raw salmon, kani and California roll are the most typical and basic on sushi platters.

Make sure you use either a sushi vinegar or season it yourself. You can buy a spicy mayo and a sweet sushi sauce to accompany the platter. You can mix your own wasabi (just add hot water) close to serving. Add pickled ginger.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:34 am
cucumbers and avocado are most common, but I've seen all kinds of things - sweet potato, kishke, tofutti cream cheese, bell peppers, pickles. You can read the sushi k bar menu for ideas:

http://www.sushikbar.com/view_menu.php

Just skimming it I see - carrot, kiwi, mango, lettuce, tomato, portobello mushroom, banana, cashews, pear, apple, jalapeno peppers, scallions, asparagus, lemons. Obviously not all in the same one lol.

Basically, whatever fruits or veggies you like!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:58 am
My (frum) Japanese-born-and-raised friend who makes sushi several times a week puts in tuna (from a can) mixed with mayo! I mostly use lox — which appears to be an authentic Japanese sushi filling — or avocado. Sometimes cucumber or mushrooms (shiitake or portobello cooked in water, soy sauce, and sugar).

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:29 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
My (frum) Japanese-born-and-raised friend who makes sushi several times a week puts in tuna (from a can) mixed with mayo! I mostly use lox — which appears to be an authentic Japanese sushi filling — or avocado. Sometimes cucumber or mushrooms (shiitake or portobello cooked in water, soy sauce, and sugar).

Authentic Japanese dishes basically focus on whatever fish was fresh at the market that day and subtle flavors that bring out the fish's taste instead of the American BOLD STRONG flavors and sides like avocado. Japanese sushi has Nori on the outside, and the rice is more catered to the US pallet. In Japan it's about the fish whereas in the US sushi is kind of like a burger. Sashimi is favored in Japan as well.

Anyways, when it comes down to kosher fish, the playing field is really narrow: red tuna, albacore, yellow tail, salmon, kani, and that's about it unless you live in a place that gets excellent fish. Yellow tail in the US is just not that good because it's been super frozen so many times and albacore is either not available or just not good on the east coast.

OP: people here seem to like salmon and avocado, "fake" California rolls, spicy rolls, and plain vegetable rolls.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:12 am
Ours are usually fresh fish or fake crab strips, avocado, scallion, cucumber, mango, peppers, when we're feeling fancy, sometimes strips of scrambled egg, nori, and vinegar seasoned rice.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:56 am
I like raw salmon avocado, raw spicy tuna, kani /avocado/cucumber and avocado/cucumber/carrot.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:02 pm
I like soft veggies that are easy to bite. Though I like carrots, the roll falls apart when biting.

ez-pass

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:44 pm
I meant cooked salmon. Lol (autocorrrect)
thanks for the ideas!

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 12:50 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Authentic Japanese dishes basically focus on whatever fish was fresh at the market that day and subtle flavors that bring out the fish's taste instead of the American BOLD STRONG flavors and sides like avocado. Japanese sushi has Nori on the outside, and the rice is more catered to the US pallet. In Japan it's about the fish whereas in the US sushi is kind of like a burger. Sashimi is favored in Japan as well.

Anyways, when it comes down to kosher fish, the playing field is really narrow: red tuna, albacore, yellow tail, salmon, kani, and that's about it unless you live in a place that gets excellent fish. Yellow tail in the US is just not that good because it's been super frozen so many times and albacore is either not available or just not good on the east coast.

OP: people here seem to like salmon and avocado, "fake" California rolls, spicy rolls, and plain vegetable rolls.

Kosher sushi places are allowed to label regular tuna as yellow tail which I find upsetting. I was paying a premium for yellow tail and getting regular tuna. This happened to me in several places. It was explained to me by the owner of kosher castle that it was complications from kasherus.

What does that mean that yellow tail has been super frozen so many times? Why would they defrost and super re freeze so many times?

Most times the apparently fresh tuna is refreshed tuna (previously frozen) when you buy it already packaged. Ask if the fish was ever frozen.

Why can't you use any kosher fish for sushi? I know it is not typical, but is there a kasherus reason?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
Kosher sushi places are allowed to label regular tuna as yellow tail which I find upsetting. I was paying a premium for yellow tail and getting regular tuna. This happened to me in several places. It was explained to me by the owner of kosher castle that it was complications from kasherus.

What does that mean that yellow tail has been super frozen so many times? Why would they defrost and super re freeze so many times?

Most times the apparently fresh tuna is refreshed tuna (previously frozen) when you buy it already packaged. Ask if the fish was ever frozen.

Why can't you use any kosher fish for sushi? I know it is not typical, but is there a kasherus reason?

Someone in the kashrus business who is related to a big chassidishe dayan told me that the dayan said that albacore is not available in NY due to political issues and not kashrus issues. There is delicious albacore sushi on the west coast. Yellow tail is also much better outside of the US (South Africa actually has yellow tail that melts and can be eaten raw with olive oil). There is a larger kosher fish variety outside of NY, but then again kosher sushi is pretty new to NY. I remember when I ordered a yellow tail, tuna, & Salmon hand roll without rice the first time 7 years ago the sushi chef looked at me and admitted that he did not know what I want and that no one has ever previously asked him for yellow tail or a hand roll. Meanwhile, we used to eat sushi in kindergarten so there you go. I hope that the sushi scene here will improve (or all not american and no Jewish cuisine for that matter).

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:15 pm
Squishy, you can use any types of kosher fish SO LONG AS they're fresh and appropriate to be eaten raw. Most kosher fishmongers deal with fish that are meant to be cooked (so less fresh/higher microbial contents are acceptable).

Scrabble, there are different types of sushi in Japan. Nigiri is the one without seaweed (and something you're more likely to order in a proper sushi joint).

OP, I'd be a bit careful if you're doing sushi for seuda shlishi. Ideally sushi with raw fish should be eaten 12hours definitely within 24hours from fish is purchased. That's why I only do sushi for Fri dinner.

Authentic (ie things you will see in local sushi bars in Japan and that are kosher): pickled mooli, pickled plum, cucumber, sweet omelette, salmon, tuna, yellowtail, sea snapper, sea bream, mackerel (esp vinegared), sardine (raw), salad onion (esp chopped with salmon, tuna or yellow tail), fake crab

Contemporary (not traditional but now found in Japanese sushi bars): smoked salmon, tuna salad, avocado, marinated mushroom, asparagus, red peppers, anything with spicy mayo, things with crunchy stuff/tempura

Basterised (you will NOT see them in Japan shock Rolling Eyes ): cream cheese, sweetpotato, mango

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:17 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

Scrabble, there are different types of sushi in Japan. Nigiri is the one without seaweed (and something you're more likely to order in a proper sushi joint).

Sashimi is far more popular in Japan than Nagiri. (and of course is not really "sushi" according to our definition) and can also apply to slices of meat or the like. I also explained that the Japanese eat more subtle flavors to accentuate whichever fish was fresh at market that day as opposed to the American Bold flavors. I'm confused about what you're trying to say to me here. Please clarify.

silly

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:28 pm
I oove fried sushi with salmon

Miri7

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:35 pm
If you are doing raw fish sushi, you need to be sure to buy sashimi grade fish. That means fish that is ok to eat raw. It is considerably more expensive (at least where we live). You should ask the fishmonger when it should be eaten - they will probably tell you something like 12 hours, or whatever, and can give you advice on storage. Ours I think has recommended keeping it on ice in the fridge.

Like Mrs. Bissli above, we only do the raw fish for Friday night - if you are making for seudah shlishit, then you can do cooked fishes, lox, (any smoked fish really), and all sorts of veggie rolls. Remember you can cook or steam the veggies like carrots so they aren't hard and crunchy.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 1:43 pm
Sushi is safe to eat for 24 hours after making, if kept in the fridge.

http://www.eatbydate.com/prote.....date/

We usually make enough to have for dinner and lunch, and almost never have any left to worry about.

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 2:01 pm
Also, the rice needs to be fresh. You can't use day old rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics