Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are jeans OK for a costume for a bocher?
1  2  3  4  Next

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 4:09 pm
BH, he has the position of night activities director.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:00 pm
Does he WANT them? Could he wear navy casual pants, or black jeans instead?

Mevater

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:05 pm
As long as ALL observers understand them to be part of his uniform, and NOT every day wear.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 8:08 pm
my dh's cousin is a bochur yeshiva and he wears jeans.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:21 pm
If he needs washable, casual clothes, I don't see why he has to go jeans.

He can wear sweat pants, chinos - pajama pants, even!

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:34 pm
jeans in camp? shock

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:41 pm
I was never a night activity director, nor my family members, so I'm not speaking from the trade. Smile

But I feel that it would send the wrong message to the kids. If he has an entertaining enough personality, he'll do just fine. He should not model dressing cool, breaking rules and dress codes,you don't want kids to associate that with harmless fun.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:42 pm
GR wrote:
jeans in camp? shock
It drives me nuts when counselors wear T-shirts too! To me it's unacceptable.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 9:42 pm
I see nothing wrong with jeans. In fact my husband wears them everyday for work. Are you suggesting Jeans are a costume that only those non yeshivish bums wear?

I find it extremely unbecoming to spend ones day in PJ's, I think any bocher would look more put together in jeans then PJ's.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 10:31 pm
are you guys for real ?!?!?!

shoy18

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 11:16 pm
Heres how I see it, if your questioning it then its probably not a good idea!! personally I dont have a problem with them I dont see them as a sign of anything just a pair of pants

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 11:33 pm
a costume ... really is offensive to those people who do wear jeans ... it is not purim ... btw

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 2:21 am
greenfire wrote:
a costume ... really is offensive to those people who do wear jeans ... it is not purim ... btw
green, it's for a yeshiva bochur who wears a white shirt, hat and jacket, for him it's a costume.

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:27 am
TzenaRena wrote:
greenfire wrote:
green, it's for a yeshiva bochur who wears a white shirt, hat and jacket, for him it's a costume.

No, maybe for him it's uniform, but a costume? Greenfire's right. A costume is something you dress up in, maybe for fun, but not for work (unless you work as a clown or a character at an amusement part).

There's nothing wrong with jeans. Denim comes in all sorts of colours, and as long as they're clean and not full of holes, they are no less mechubad than any other pair of pants. Honestly, dark trousers with spit up stains (or melted ice cream, or ketchup/mustard that fell out of the hot dog) are as unbecoming as anything else that's not well kept.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:36 am
Yes, but don't you know that wearing jeans is the first step towards your son wearing CHAS V'SHALOM... a BLUE shirt??

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:31 am
Kmelion wrote:
Yes, but don't you know that wearing jeans is the first step towards your son wearing CHAS V'SHALOM... a BLUE shirt??
Rolling Laughter

brooklyn

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:36 am
I can't believe what I am reading. I hate to think what is thought of my dh's and son's leather and knit kippot.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:49 am
Come on, you all know that there are communities where wearing jeans is not accepted. As a matter of fact, it used to be that wearing jeans was considered unacceptable for anyone except road workers and maybe farmers in the field.

If a bochur belongs to a community where wearing jeans is not "done", as southern bubby's son does, then I would think it's not okay - not as a uniform, not as a costume, not at all.

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 7:00 am
If it's not "done" then it's not acceptable. But then why the question? And why the implication that makes fun?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 7:55 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with jeans. In fact my husband wears them everyday for work. Are you suggesting Jeans are a costume that only those non yeshivish bums wear?

I find it extremely unbecoming to spend ones day in PJ's, I think any bocher would look more put together in jeans then PJ's.

I agree. Many people wear jeans to work. My dh grew up not wearing them and almost never does though. But I wore a jeans skirt on our first date.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children