Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Chosson wants a set of Shas - where can I get one cheap?
1  2  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 4:36 pm
There is a kallah in the community who needs to buy a set of Shas for her Chosson. Any idea where to get a beautiful set of Shas very inexpensively? It seems to be a tradition these days for kallah to buy Shas for Chosson. What do you suggest?

mema613

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
There is a kallah in the community who needs to buy a set of Shas for her Chosson. Any idea where to get a beautiful set of Shas very inexpensively? It seems to be a tradition these days for kallah to buy Shas for Chosson. What do you suggest?

Interesting, my daughter just got engaged, I thought I had to get the chosson a watch! I will have to price the two options. Always good to have a choice.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:45 pm
Is that a new tradition? My mother (or maybe it was my grandparents) bought a chosson Shas for my father 50+ years ago.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:

When I was looking I was unable to find for inexpensive. There were a few options ranging from $500-$800 (they may be a bit more now).
I can list the specifics if you'd like.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:01 pm
Start your own family's new minhag
Give him a shas pdf on a flash drive

miri15

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:24 pm
Z. Berman has multiple stores and generally has good prices. Maybe if you explain the situation they would accommodate somewhat.

You can also try the distributors themselves (like Moznayim on 12/43 in BP Mishor on 39/14).

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:40 pm
mema613 wrote:
Interesting, my daughter just got engaged, I thought I had to get the chosson a watch! I will have to price the two options. Always good to have a choice.
I think they get both.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:43 pm
I wanted to get DH a shas. What's the difference between the expensive sets and- well, the MORE expensive sets? Is it an older version? Nicer leather?

mema613

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 7:06 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Start your own family's new minhag
Give him a shas pdf on a flash drive

If he has an iPhone you can get iTalmud, the entire shas with english and audio for $19.99!

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 7:33 pm
I got DH a watch during engagement and Shas for wedding gift. That beautiful and expensive Shas I bought mostly gathers dust since DH learns from his old worn out looking seforim from his yeshiva days. Glad now my DS has started learning from the wedding set - finally getting some good use out of it.

DH also has some online program or app or something. It seems to have literally everything, not just Talmud, and you don't have to schlep heavy seforim for learning on the go.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:44 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I wanted to get DH a shas. What's the difference between the expensive sets and- well, the MORE expensive sets? Is it an older version? Nicer leather?

These are the notes I have from 10 years ago.

VAXSHAL smaller cover, not as nice, $500

TELMAN bigger, acid free pages, pretty cover (I went with this),$700

GREENFELD letters swim (smaller version $600 and larger version $800)

abemom2

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:20 pm
In most communities I know, the Shas is more important to buy for the Chosson than a watch. That is one of the standard gifts the Kallah's parents give the Chosson. (And Becher, Tallis, sometimes watch.) Most of my family members and friends Chossonim preferred another set of Seforim instead of a watch.

mema613

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
I think they get both.

OMG, I didn't give my last daughter's husband one, just a watch (cost me $1,600 for that). Is there a site that lists just what one gives and who has to pay.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 9:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
These are the notes I have from 10 years ago.

VAXSHAL smaller cover, not as nice, $500

TELMAN bigger, acid free pages, pretty cover (I went with this),$700

GREENFELD letters swim (smaller version $600 and larger version $800)

Thanks for the info!

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 11:02 pm
if you cant afford it then start out buying one at a time as they learn? my husband has a $2000 artscroll set that looks pretty on the shelf but is rarely used at all.

etky

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 1:13 am
If you're in Israel, Rami Levy has a deal going now. If you spend a certain amount (I didn't read the receipt that carefullly so I don't remember exactly) you can buy a set of Shas for a cheap price. I have no idea what quality it is though, espcially given that Rami Levy is a discount supermarket...

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:25 am
DONT GET A CHOSSON SHAS!!
They are larger with a fancier cover. The size makes them less portable, and the fancy cover looks horrible when rebound. You want it to be used. That means taken to the beis midrash and opened and closed numerous times. The first thing DH does when he gets a new Sefer is binding. It will last longer than one zman.

DH likes the "Oz V'hadar" shas. The layout, extras in the back, etc. Talk to the chosson so he will actually enjoy your gift.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:47 am
I am not sure I get this business of "HAS to buy her chosson a shas." Before I opened this thread I assumed that the OP was a mother of a kallah who WANTED to buy her chosson a shas but was looking for the most economical way to do it.

I am not a shvigger yet, thank G-d. But having a scholarly chosson myself, here's my opinion:
1. one poster above mentioned the DH using his yeshiva set while the chosson set gathered dust. This makes no sense to me. My DH had a set of Shas, it may have been a bar mitzvah gift IIRC, that he had been using already so he told me and my parents that he did not need or want a "chosson shas" because he already had a shas. Why does a newly married young man (I.e. does not have sons to share with) need more than one of the same book? In my case, DH requested instead a set of Shulchan Oruch. Also not cheap though probably a lot less than a Shas. And now we have nice full sets of two essential Jewish scholarly works. (if money had been an object presumably DH would not have made such a request. I think it was more like "If you had been planning to buy me a Shas, it is not necessary because I have one but a Shulchan Aruch instead would be perfect" not a demand)
2. If money is an issue, perhaps the set could be accumulated a few volumes at a time rather than all at once. I believe that this makes it even more special than an all-at-once gift. You get the excitement and joy of building your collection over years.
3. In general, I think the sets sold specifically as "chosson shas" are impractical. From what I've seen they are humongous and ornate. They look like more of a display piece whereas in the Jewish home a sefer is meant to be used. I think it is worth spending more on an edition that is high quality and has clear print and layout, but NOT for a humongous size and fancy binding with gilded pages or whatever they do to it. Buy something that will be nice and good to use. It shouldn't be old or flimsy or poorly printed, but practical. I believe DH's "chosson shulchan oruch" was the medium size - the small one would have been a strain to learn from, but they also sell an extra-extra-large "chosson" version which you can't even carry except maybe to the table closest to the bookshelf. And nothing makes me happier than seeing DH carry his sefarim around, use them comfortably, and most of all cover the binding in black tape because otherwise it would fall apart from use (even the good quality ones do. Bind them as soon as you buy them is DH's advice, I believe born of experience.) which would have been a lot harder to do if it were a fancy embossed set.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:50 am
etky wrote:
If you're in Israel, Rami Levy has a deal going now. If you spend a certain amount (I didn't read the receipt that carefullly so I don't remember exactly) you can buy a set of Shas for a cheap price. I have no idea what quality it is though, espcially given that Rami Levy is a discount supermarket...

Ah, Eretz Yisrael. Where the supermarket promotion is a Shas. I can't even!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:21 am
Can someone explain this to me please? Why do men have to have all of shas? Why cant they buy them as they learn them? Why do they have to have the ehole set? I know it looks nice, but if it is never used? My husband davka asked not to have shas be bought for him as he knew that he would learn it all at his own pace when he wanted. He has a few, but he knows that he is actually learning them, not that they are just sitting there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics