Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bedbug treatment-tenant or landlord's responsibility?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 2:19 pm
Who is responsible for bed bug treatment, the tenant or landlord? NYC

das

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 2:34 pm
In NYC the landlord is responsible. But ha may say it was bedbug free and you introduced the bedbugs, setting yourself up for a possible legal battle.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 2:40 pm
Yes, that's what she's saying.

das

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 3:24 pm
Are there other infested apartments? Is it only yours? If it's only yours and you've been living there bedbug free for awhile chances are you did introduce the bedbugs--through a visit to a hotel, a guest etc You need to decide if its worth fighting it out.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 3:38 pm
Landlord

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 5:55 pm
das wrote:
Are there other infested apartments? Is it only yours? If it's only yours and you've been living there bedbug free for awhile chances are you did introduce the bedbugs--through a visit to a hotel, a guest etc You need to decide if its worth fighting it out.

I think it's only ours and yes we have been living here bedbug free for a while-almost a year. We think it came from DH's work Sad

baschabad

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 6:01 pm
When we had bedbugs, the landlord asked if we had brought in any new furniture recently. We said no, and they covered the exterminator costs.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:
I think it's only ours and yes we have been living here bedbug free for a while-almost a year. We think it came from DH's work Sad

So after your residence is treated, what will be done to keep the bugs from hitching a ride home with your hubby?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:26 pm
I know for section 8 apts in PA they hold the landlord responsible no matter what. So if it keeps coming back the landlord has to keep treating. Even if the tentants are obviously responsible and will not prep the landlord has to treat.

Reality

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 8:39 pm
When I rented an apartment in Brooklyn my landlord paid for my bed-bug exterminator. I got it from my next door neighbor who took a mattress in off the street shock My landlord paid for my neighbors exterminator even though it was clearly their fault.

It is not the landlord's responsibility to pay for your damaged items if you need to throw anything out like mattresses, rugs etc..

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:14 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
So after your residence is treated, what will be done to keep the bugs from hitching a ride home with your hubby?

I don't know Sad What should we do?

We're trying to get his work to pay for it.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know Sad What should we do?

We're trying to get his work to pay for it.

I'm just raising the issue I've never experienced BBs. I do recognize that transporting the critters in again will only result in another infestation. Is the employer aware they have BBs?

Rodent

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 6:17 am
I'm amazed that landlords are responsible, it would totally be a tenant issue here.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 7:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm just raising the issue I've never experienced BBs. I do recognize that transporting the critters in again will only result in another infestation. Is the employer aware they have BBs?

I think so. They don't really care.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 8:10 pm
You can get a spray that helps. My DH worked in an environment were bedbugs were common. His exterminator gave him a spray to spray on his shoes each day before he entered our home and some other advice. maybe you can look into it.

If you your landlord decides to go the traditional route you will have to still do a lot of work - cleaning your clothing in hot water. Throwing out shoes that cannot be washed. Throwing out your couch (my DH would slash the coutions to ensure that no one else picked it up and brought it back in). SEtting up your apartment in a way to allow for the best treatment.
If he does the more expensive treatment (I think it is heat based) you save a lot more and less work is involved.
but that is the landlord's choice.

das

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 9:50 pm
I don't get it. You seem to be aware that the infestation is coming from your dhs work. Yet you still asked your landlord to pay for the cost? How in the world is that fine?

groisamomma

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 9:55 pm
das wrote:
I don't get it. You seem to be aware that the infestation is coming from your dhs work. Yet you still asked your landlord to pay for the cost? How in the world is that fine?

I was wondering the same thing...

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 11:00 pm
I'm a landlord and my tenant knew that they frequent hotels. They never even asked for me to pay. They lived there many years before and assumed full responsibility. Why is the landlord responsible???

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
I think so. They don't really care.

shock And yet you are going to have the LL pay for treatment? I would personally not be comfortable with the situation. I don't know how large this company is, but it seems unconscionable that a business would know they have BBs, and permit their employees to infect their own home and those of their customers.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:20 pm
das wrote:

As I've mentioned, we are trying to get his work to pay for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics