Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Who pays and gives what to the Chassan and Kallah
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 2:58 pm
ROFL wrote:
I think by Megillah they mean a real one , on a Klaf, hand written and rolled up ! I got one for my DH after being married ten years or so

It's not as crazy as it sounds- you can find a kosher Megillat Esther for 2500-3000 shekel. Compared to the lists of jewelry that some are giving...

We're MO/DL. I didn't want an engagement ring (sensory issues with anything on my hands- a smooth wedding ring was as much as I could handle) and we couldn't really afford it even if I had wanted it. Dh didn't have a complete shas, but prefers to get them as he learns them. I gave him a tallit and velvet bag, he gave me the wedding ring. We paid for the wedding ourselves.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 8:22 pm
"The longer the engagement the more gifts"?

Those 6 week engagements are starting to make sense now! LOL

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 11:23 pm
seeker wrote:
OOC the people who gave/got a megillah, you don't mean a real one on klaf do you?! At first I was like shock and then it occurred to me that maybe you meant a regular book one but some nice edition or something. Please clarify just to satisfy curious onlookers Smile

A real one -- and often with an expensive case. While we didn't give one as part of wedding gifts, we did give to all 5 our sons-in-law at some point down the line (no case though, but a very high quality megillah with beautiful ksav). We also gave to some of our sons who wouldn't get from in-laws and would appreciate it. Additionally, DH owns 3 (one inherited, one he bought as a bochur and one a gift) that he intends to pass on to the remaining sons at some point.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 12:06 am
Wow. What the... well. I do not know many people who own a real handwritten-on-klaf megillah. My brother is a baal koreh and read from a megillah belonging to a shul many times, as well as sometimes borrowing for additional readings. After entering a few chinese auction raffles and never winning one, I think my parents bought him one as a gift, he must have been at least 30 by that time. My father never had his own until his father passed away and he received his - it came in a pipe with metal cans over the ends. He kept it that way; it had character. Two of my uncles have their own - presumably they bought them themselves because they do multiple readings every year in various places (homes and hospitals) for people who can't go to shul. AFAIK both have plain wooden (olivewood souvenir type perhaps?) cases. My DH has a plain paper book type of megillah. I believe he wrote a klaf one when he was learning safrus (megillas are good practice because no name of Hashem - so no unfixable mistakes) but he sold it. For decent money, though nothing compared to the time that goes into it.

I get the point about a megillah not being more expensive than expensive jewelry. But it seems to me that the couples getting megillas are the ones who are getting a megillah AND a silver case for it AND a fancy shas AND jewelry for the wife AND a houseful of furniture AND I don't remember what else. If these were the gvirim of the community who are supporting half the yeshivas and want to send off their children in style, OK I can understand. But it seems like this is some kind of standard and people who should feel normal instead may feel bad or lacking if they don't have this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics