Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you ever wish you could skip Shabbos?
1  2  3  Next

Machel

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:11 am
*I am posing this strictly as a hypothetical discussion, not as something I would do or recommend to others*

Have you ever wished you could take a break from the "restrictions", either something specific like Kosher or Tznius, or observance as a whole. I was thinking about it recently, we are going on a family vacation with our non religious family to a place with no kosher food or shabbos environment. I have done it before and know how to deal with it to make for an enjoyable vacation, but I was thinking about how much easier it would be if I could take a break from being "religious". Just while I was on the vacation. Or there are times when something important is happening on Shabbos or YT and I will think "just this once I wish it wasn't an issue"

Maybe its because I am BT so I know what I am missing out on. Most of the time I love being religious and have no intentions on going back to my previous life style. I just think some times how it would be so much easier if there were exceptions to the rules sometimes. Like the movie that came out recently about the day where all laws are suspended.

Has anyone else ever wondered about what it would be like if there was a way to take an allowed break?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:25 am
always wanted to do 'rumspringa' or amish year off. but then I would answer myself, the difference is that is just a lifestyle but for us that would mean each aveirah has affect on neshama itself

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 10 2016, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Temilia

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:28 am
Never wish I could skip Shabbos. It is my day of calm in my busy life with lists of never ending things to do. I love turning off my phone before Shabbos knowing all my work emails will still be there when I turn it back on 25 hours later.

Other stuff maybe, but I would have fallen off the deep end a long time ago without Shabbos.

silly

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 1:01 am
never wish
this is the day I love and look forward for it whole week!!
its the best present on earth!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:23 am
I wouldn't want to skip shabbos itself, but I wouldn't mind a break from making shabbos.

On the other hand, while I would never stop keeping kosher, it would definitely be sooooo much easier to travel if I didn't have to worry about food. I would theoretically love to try authentic ethnic cuisines.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:35 am
No . I love shabbos

Tznius, I wish I could take a break forever.

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:39 am
Yes. I'd like to have a break and be able to do anything I want, eat wherever/whatever I want, wear whatever I want, not be hemmed in by zillions of restrictions.

But I shouldn't so I don't and I won't.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:53 am
Yes, this is something I've pondered.
Of course I also understand and accept why that can't be. But that's not to say I haven't pondered or wished. If you say you haven't, then you are missing out on the achievement of keeping mitzvos because it is the right thing to do even though it isn't usually the fun and easy choice.

It gets hard when your 2-year-old is crying because they want you to draw something or do something for them on Shabbos. Like come on G-d why do you care/why do you not want me to draw a measly picture for my 2-year-old? I don't want her to think Shabbos is restrictive at this tender age! (of course if a child that age were doing it on their own I wouldn't stop them, I'm talking about when she wants something of me)

Sanguine

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:57 am
Never felt the urge to "sin". Sort of like how I can't sit in a car without closing my seat belt. I just physically can't. (maybe can be lax, but not do or eat something that not doing is so part of me).

But, I'd be OK doing minimal on Shabbat. Once DH was away for Shabbat and I really just wanted my kids to go to or even just eat by friends and let me have a lazy day on Shabbat. I would have been perfectly happy just spending the whole Shabbat in bed reading. So I guess I did want to skip Shabbat that week. No one would let me. Sad

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 6:06 am
I love, love, love Shabbos. It's admittedly harder to find the many wonderful things when on vacation with non frum family. When we have been in your situation, we leave the vacation in time to be home for Shabbos.

I don't mind how I dress or eat.

But I do wish I could sing whenever and wherever I wanted.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 7:41 am
Having been what our society would call OTD and back. I would never ever want to desecrate the shabbos again. The feelings haunt me. There is nothing exciting there. Life without shabbos and tznius is so blah.

That said, no. I would never want to skip shabbos. It is the best time of the week where I can bond with family and sleep and just chill.

Maya

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 7:53 am
Maybe I'd skip any other things, but not Shabbos.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:06 am
While I've never wanted to skip shabbos entirely, or give up being Jewish, I've often wished that this religion wasn't so nitpicky. Like on shabbos - I don't want to have to think about borer when I pick up the kids toys. I like to be able to cook my kids a normal breakfast (one of the reasons I prefer yom tov to shabbos.) and I echo the poster about ethnic cuisines. I hate feeling limited, tied down, bound by rules that don't make sense to me.

Of course I feel like the trade off and all the advantages of being Jewish are worth it, that's why I'm still observant...

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:30 am
Shabbos is the hardest day of the week for me, with little kids and awful SB.

Desecrating it wouldn't help - all I need is for him to go to work and the kids to go to school. Sad

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:31 am
I grew up OUD and with less restrictive tznius. I could show my calves as long as my knees were always covered.

I would love to be able to leave off knee highs and tights on vacation and wear an Isreali teichel especially at the beach. I would love to not have to toot milk or scramble for it. I would love to be able to Double wrap in a microwave.

I am going away for 3 weeks this summer and am already dreading everything I need to bring when I can purchase national brands. I have to plan my restocking of milk and meats.

I would love to be able to go to family simchas and not have them go through all the extra prep for us.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
I grew up OUD and with less restrictive tznius. I could show my calves as long as my knees were always covered.

I would love to be able to leave off knee highs and tights on vacation and wear an Isreali teichel especially at the beach. I would love to not have to toot milk or scramble for it. I would love to be able to Double wrap in a microwave.

I am going away for 3 weeks this summer and am already dreading everything I need to bring when I can purchase national brands. I have to plan my restocking of milk and meats.

I would love to be able to go to family simchas and not have them go through all the extra prep for us.

This is all different then what op is saying. You are talking chumra not Halacha. I don't do these chumras, so I don't resent them.

bandcm

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:50 am
I would never want to have a break from any mitzvas, but Shabbos is one thing I would love to have a break from. I love Shabbos itself, but I run a busy Chabad House and Shabbos means cooking for thirty-forty people, fancy menu, setting up, then getting dressed up and entertaining (I am an introvert, I hate entertaining! I wish I could be a maid who does all the work and then retreats to the back kitchen when the guests come).

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:58 am
Machel wrote:
*I am posing this strictly as a hypothetical discussion, not as something I would do or recommend to others*

Have you ever wished you could take a break from the "restrictions", either something specific like Kosher or Tznius, or observance as a whole. I was thinking about it recently, we are going on a family vacation with our non religious family to a place with no kosher food or shabbos environment. I have done it before and know how to deal with it to make for an enjoyable vacation, but I was thinking about how much easier it would be if I could take a break from being "religious". Just while I was on the vacation. Or there are times when something important is happening on Shabbos or YT and I will think "just this once I wish it wasn't an issue"

Maybe its because I am BT so I know what I am missing out on. Most of the time I love being religious and have no intentions on going back to my previous life style. I just think some times how it would be so much easier if there were exceptions to the rules sometimes. Like the movie that came out recently about the day where all laws are suspended.

Has anyone else ever wondered about what it would be like if there was a way to take an allowed break?

Would your family lose respect for you? Would you lose respect for yourself?
I guess it would be interesting if we were given x number of passes, what would you use them on. But this seems like one of those philosophical paradoxes that are so profound I wouldn't be able to get into any such discussion.

wife2

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 10:28 am
Sometimes I think if people could experiment they would see the beauty of Judaism and want to come back. they just need to get some rebellion out of their system. but then too many people wouldnt come back. and instead of it getting out of their system they may want more of it.

sourstix

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:12 am
as others have said, not shabbos itself. but the chores and cleanup before it. but shabbos I would never give it up in a million years. the calmest best day of my life. love it love it love it ................. I hate cleaning so the cleaning is my nisayon. oh how I wish I could skip that. but the harder I work before shabos the more I enjoy it. that is what I tell myself. that I will enjoy the peace and beauty. and dont forget the goodies and yummy meals and sitting by the table with my family. what more can I ask for? a non jewish therapist once commented that she sees so many jews have these big dining room tables. and she doesnt have it. I said that we eat the saturday meals there.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics