Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you ever wish you could skip Shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:22 am
NO.

Its fantastic to have a day that I cannot work no matter the deadline, I don't get e-mails, answer the phone. Very little distractions.

The preparations I can sometimes do without.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:26 am
I don't feel women are supported shabbes wise, as we in most places I am familiar with, have no eruv, and still are expected to make shabbes, love shabbes, and let dh go out to shul. So unfortunately, in turn, I do not really appreciate it outside of the meals and songs, especially when it hinders health (noise from kids giving me migraine).

I have no problem with tznius, kosher can be challenging but (maybe because I live in a place that is lucky kashrus wise) I don't find it too problematic. Ok, nidda is the worst.

SorGold

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:28 am
Nope. Never. Its the highlight of my week!!!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:51 am
I think my post may have been unfair. Because I'm imagining using a pass (use your imagination) and afterwards going, bleh, even if I have a pass so I won't get punished, I did this??
But that's not empathetic enough to OP, who has a genuinely stressful situation to deal with. I hope you have a surprisingly and refreshingly easy time next time you deal with it, and simcha shel mitzvah, always.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:58 am
When I grew up in Sheepshead Bay, I loved everything about Judaism. After 20+ years in Lakewood, I always think about running to Kansas and skipping EVERYTHING...

mommyla

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:04 pm
sky wrote:
NO.

Its fantastic to have a day that I cannot work no matter the deadline, I don't get e-mails, answer the phone. Very little distractions.

The preparations I can sometimes do without.

This. I love Shabbos but I'd love it if someone else would do the cooking, cleaning, and prep for me once in a while. I like my own food so takeout or eating out doesn't count. I want to be home, with my food and my family, but I just don't want to do it myself! Oh well, can't have everything, right?

I would never give up Shabbos. Tznius is a different story. Nidda too. Kashrus - nope, though I'd like to pay nonkosher prices for my kosher food, and I wouldn't mind not having to wait after fleishigs.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:19 pm
I'm Nidda so much more than Tahor. I wish we get a pass with the Sheva Neki'm

I don't mind hair covering but hate to have to completely cover my neckline, arms, and wear tights, and no full red clothing etc.

It doesn't help that the Chareidi communities are busy focusing on nitty gritty added Chumrahs.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:21 pm
I forgot to add that I absolutely love Shabbos!

Although I can't say I'd mind spending it in a nice hotel, being wined and dined. Wink

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:24 pm
I do enjoy shabbos but I agree about the preparation being a lot of work. I would definitely enjoy it less without an Eruv!

Kashrut is a big one for me since life truly is much easier when you can stop for food wherever.

Miri7

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:30 pm
Like others posted, I would never take a "pass" on Shabbat. It is what keeps me sane. Even when I'm hosting a bunch of people. I have a lot of rachmanus for people who run Chabad or other kiruv homes and have to be "on" and entertain a bunch of folks each week.

But I would definitely take a break from Shabbat preparation. If someone offered me one year of free pre-shabbat cooking and cleaning, I would take it in a heartbeat!!

black sheep

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:32 pm
I think it is very important to put yourself in an environment where you enjoy the mitzvos. this means different things for different people, but certainly nobody enjoys the feeling of shabbos when it is all about being left out due to the restrictions. if you are away from home, spending vacation time with people who don't keep shabbos, of course you will not appreciate it! that is not really "shabbos," it is only the restrictions.

I cannot think of any mitzvah I would want to skip, but I do remember one shabbos that I was at a conference in a hotel, basically the only jewish person there. that shabbos was all about the restrictions, and I was exhausted by the end of it. it wasn't shabbos, it was only the restrictions of shabbos.

if you want to enjoy the mitzvos, you have to be in the right environment to enjoy the mitzvos. it is okay to sometimes not be in that environment, but it is important to recognize that the mitzvos are not the issue, it is the environment.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:37 pm
when I had only little kids and could never get to shul shabbos (no eruv, hardly any frum families nearby) was a nightmare. Now its more enjoyable. I go to shiur summer shabbos afternoons which helps a lot.

Last edited by Raisin on Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

wantavaca

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:37 pm
Love shabbos Bh.
but that is largely based on my ability to have a babysitter in the afternoons so I can nap.
If I had to be up allllll day with kids and cleaning....don't know if I'd feel the same way.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:54 pm
I have wished I could get a "pass". None of my family is religious, and I have missed so many cousin's weddings, the beginning of a grandparent's funeral, a celebration of life for another family member. All huge events that I would have loved to go to, and it was impossible to go and keep Shabbos, so I couldn't. And I know that my family thinks I'm crazy and disrespectful because of it. So yes, I've considered it on those days. I love Shabbos and I won't stop keeping it, but I do sometimes resent the things it makes me miss.

I also would love to feed my kids on long drives with something other than nosh and sandwiches, and for my mother and grandmother to be able to cook for them or take them for a week like how I grew up. But these are the sacrifices we make and at the end of the day, I wouldn't change it.

sotired3

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 1:36 pm
When I was working I looked forward to Shabbos. Now that I'm a SAHM, Shabbos is hands down my hardest day of the week.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 5:26 pm
No. When would I leaf through photo albums or sit around a table with the fam and talk about whatever without someone jumping up to answer a cell phone? Why would my boss not give me an assignment Friday afternoon due Monday morning? Oh, sure, it would be nice to be able to take the elevator instead of trudging up the endless stairs to our apt. But without Shabbos, Saturday would look like this: Dentist, bank, grocery shopping, pay bills, shoemaker, Macy's one-day sale, library... and when would I use the good china? I never really appreciated Shabbos till I left school and started working. Suddenly, without winter break, spring break, intersession, summer break, and two days a week with just a couple of classes, Shabbos really meant something.

Plus, Shabbos is the only day--and I do mean the ONLY day besides YT--that dh will not answer his phone and his clients cannot hassle him. He had a client call him a few hours before our dd wedding "I know your kid's gettting married, but I really NEED this spreadsheet RIGHT NOW." Really? On the Fourth of July, on the deck of your boat that's been moored off Hawaii for a month? Of course I blame dh for answering the call, but that is the beauty of Shabbos--he CANNOT answer the call. And most of his nonJewish clients respect and understand that, at least. His "I went to hebrew school, too, you know, and I'm working today" clients, not so much. That's because they took off Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Year's, Sadie Hawkins Day, and National Toilet Plunger Day, so of course they have to work Saturday.

Chores and cleaning? Again, thank G-d for Shabbos! Once a week I am forced to clean up. Change the linens. Water the plants. Shave my legs. Wear something besides a ratty old denim skirt and oysgestretched T-shirt. COOK. This is a TERRIFIC thing.

ROFL

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 5:49 pm
I would like to give up kashrut. All that great looking food.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 6:34 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
This is all different then what op is saying. You are talking chumra not Halacha. I don't do these chumras, so I don't resent them.

What you are calling chumra is black letter hahaha to me. My rabbi does not make these distinctions you make so I am STUCK. I tell my family not to bother, but they end up doing cartwheels so I can eat there. Rolling Eyes

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 7:06 pm

zaq

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
What you are calling chumra is black letter hahaha to me. My rabbi does not make these distinctions you make so I am STUCK. I tell my family not to bother, but they end up doing cartwheels so I can eat there. Rolling Eyes

I think you mean "jumping through hoops", if you mean "going to extraordinary lengths". "Doing cartwheels" means "expressing great joy, excitement and enthusiasm."
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics