Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Mornings are way too stressful

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:15 am
My 5 year old daughter takes about a good half hour to finish a bowl of cereal in the morning. By the time she finishes, I have to rush to do her hair and get her out the door so that she doesnt miss the bus to school. I think 30-35 minutes is a bit too long to spend on a single bowl of cereal. Any advice on how to cut this time down without rushing her? Her school only gives a morning snack and thats not until later in the morning. By that time she would be starving so she has to eat breakfast at home.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:19 am
Try toast or muffins or other easy to eat food. Dry cereal doesn't sustain for very long.

ven

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:19 am
what helped for me was a cooking timer, if it rings u must have finished . so they can exactly follow how much time they have left. everything that is not eaten will be kept for later . if they dicide not to eat , they will go hungry at school and eat more the next day , works as a charm. I also use the cooking timer for bedtime , bath time etc ...

animeme

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 8:46 am
I don't let them start eat in until everything else is done. Then, when it's time to go, whatever you've eaten is what you have. If that doesn't help, I'd go with the muffins because they eat faster and can be taken along as needed.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:05 am
We also don't let breakfast until you're ready for school. The point was to eliminate dawdling. I can't say it's helping much but at least we don't have to worry about breakfast itself taking too long. Also, in a pinch some times I'll do her hair while she eats. A little uncomfortable but it works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers