Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ENGINEERS-please answer

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:37 am
my brother just graduated with a degree in electrical/electronic engineering. He is in desperate need of parnassah and is looking for a job in either of those or the biomedical field but has no idea where to look.
he has 2 years part time experience working for a firm which supplies mechanic to the navy
he happends to be amazing at what he does
my question is, is anyone's firms hiring? or do you know a way to go about finding these types of jobs? lists of engineering jobs? the internet is of course no help (indeed, monster etc)

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
my brother just graduated with a degree in electrical/electronic engineering. He is in desperate need of parnassah and is looking for a job in either of those or the biomedical field but has no idea where to look.
he has 2 years part time experience working for a firm which supplies mechanic to the navy
my question is, is anyone's firms hiring? or do you know a way to go about finding these types of jobs? lists of engineering jobs? the internet is of course no help (indeed, monster etc)

I don't know where he lives, but I would recommend that a newly-graduated engineer see if the institution he graduated from has some resources to help in finding a position. It's also likely that his fellow students would be a better resource than an engineer from possibly another country so hopefully he stayed in touch with some, or maybe there's a class directory. Or his former instructors and faculty advisor, he's probably exchanged some emails with at least some of them. He doesn't have to write a long letter, just, hi, I was in your section of EE 543 last semester and I was wondering if you know of anyone who's hiring or any resources. And if he has lost all his contacts he should go to the school's website and see if he can find a placement office, or his instructors'/advisor's contact info.

Or just head back to the campus and his department office in particular and see if there's a wall somewhere where they hang announcements from companies looking to hire or just bump into people he knows who haven't graduated yet. Go into the school library and look at the recent trade publications. The research journals might have ads, too.

And of course his previous part-time job, does he have anyone there, or in the Navy, or in companies that his former employer bought stuff from?

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 10:20 am
My dh just graduating in a different engineering field.

(1) Contact recruiting firms I.e. Aerotek
(2) Go to his college career center and have them critique his resume. Keep going back until it is perfect!
(3) Make sure he has a linked in page that is complete with a professional picture. We were found by three independent recruiters through linked in.
(4) Does his career center help with placement? Ask them for help and guidance.
(5) Use USAjobs website. When he signs up, use the resume builder because the computer does not see your uploaded resume well. When applying for a position using USAjobs, use all key words.
(6) Call EE in the community. Ask them to critique your resume, ask them to pass it on, ask them how they got their first job.
(7) Do not limit yourself by location.

(8) Never give up despite hearing no's. Eventually, there will be a yes!
(9) We were told to daven because H' is in charge of parnasa.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 10:27 am
Let me know if I should start a spin-off, but I want to hear from those in the engineering field. Can anyone give me engineering 101? This is a field I'm interested in and I would like to know : what are the different types of engineering degrees? What is the job market like? What is the average salary? What are the schooling options? What are the work options? Any good programs online? I'm in NY and can commute about an hour.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 11:37 am
In what part of the world does your brother live?

What sort of degree does he have? B.S? M.S? Ph.D?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:00 pm
Dh graduated with basically the same degree 2 years ago. I don't know how things are in the States, but here in Israel it did take him over half a year to find a job. He ended up taking a job that's more software-related in the hardware department of a fairly big company. He's slowly inching his way into doing some hardware work as well and enjoying his job a lot more than he originally expected given the job description- just a route to consider, if it's easier to find such a job where you are.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:49 pm
we are in NY
he graduated from a program with a B S

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:55 pm
my dh has a computer engineering degree. He started off doing programming because as someone else said those jobs are easier to come by especially in places where frum people live. He worked his way up and his salary has significantly increased. He now does a lot more than programming though not really hardware... he really enjoys what he does.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:59 pm
just want to add that he got most of his jobs thru word of a mouth- either a friend from his program, a random relative in a completely different field, a client of the company he was working out.... so network,network, network.... he never knows where the job will come from.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:07 am
amother wrote:

Did he ask if any full-time jobs are opening at this place where he worked? Is he still working there? If not, and he left on good terms, he should approach his former manager and ask for leads on possible jobs, either at his own company or elsewhere.

Does the university from which he graduated have any job-placement services/career fairs that are open to alumni?

I agree with the network, network, network approach. While at his part-time job, did he interact with any suppliers or partner companies which may be hiring?

Does he belong to any professional associations (A state engineers society, IEEE, etc.)? They sometimes have conventions, conferences, trade shows, etc. where networking can easily take place
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics