Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Communities near San Francisco

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:05 pm
Hello!

Does anyone here have information about the communities near San Francisco? DH has received a job offer in San Francisco and we are looking at the communities nearby. We don't think we want to live in San Francisco. Specifically, we think that Berkeley may be a good fit, and maybe Oakland also, but it looks like there is not an eruv in Oakland. But Oakland has a day school. We are MO, not RW. We have small children who will start elementary soon. We would like a school with great academics. Any information would be very helpful about those communities or if there are others we should consider as well.

Thank you!

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:28 pm
Contact them http://www.cbiberkeley.org
Very nice rabbi and shul. May be too long of a commute for your husband, worth looking into

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:40 pm
Thank you. I will get in tough with the shuls but would still like to learn more here about those communities and school options.

About the commute - we had thought DH could take the subway. It looks like it has stops in Berkeley and Oakland.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 5:27 pm
I have no first hand knowledge, but I've heard San Jose also has a nice long established community - Though if your DH commutes to downtown SF it may be far.

Sadie

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 1:58 pm
How soon do you need to make a decision? I'll be in Berkeley in late July and can report back. We plan to go to Beth Israel which was posted about above. I grew up there but wasn't part of the religious community so this will be a learning experience for my family.
If you have any other questions about the area feel free to ask. You are correct that BART (the subway) goes to SF from Berkeley and Oakland and it is fast and easy.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 2:30 pm
I grew up in the bay area and have been back to visit quite a few times in the last few years. I don't know about oakland or berkley, but I'm familiar with the palo alto, san jose, and sunnyvale communities. This is my understanding of them:
- Sunnyvale: Lots of israelis, many traditional but not everyone is shomer shabbos. There's the chabad, and there's the sefardi minyan. No eruv. Very nice people but I wouldn't move there l'hatchila if you have a choice. I grew up in sunnyvale Smile
- San Jose: The rav/rebbetzin are young, very nice people. They are more charedi than the rest of the community. It's a bit of a mix. Nice community, more MO than palo alto.
- Palo Alto: It's a mix, but it's more to the right than the others. A few kollel families, but mostly working people. This is my preferred community when we go to visit. Everyone is really nice and sweet.

All 3 places have very nice people, so you'd be happy in that regard in any of them. Since you said you want an MO place, maybe you'd feel most comfortable in the San Jose community. But I would still check out palo alto if you have the chance Smile

nylon

Post Sat, Jun 13 2015, 9:40 pm
SJ to SF is a rough commute unless you live near the Caltrain (which is not as convenient as BART). Palo Alto is the right location but is eyewateringly expensive. I don't know the Berkeley community at all, at least not Jewishly. The broader community is very left wing politically.

The Bay Area is more expensive than NYC IMO. Be prepared for that. About the only thing that is cheaper are property taxes (and not hugely so).

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:18 pm
OP again. So far it seems that people know about San Jose and Palo Alto but we are not considering those. San Jose is just too far and Palo Alto is too expensive. If anyone knows about the school in Oakland or the Berkley/ Oakland communities that would be very helpful. We will be in touch with them directly and will visit but it will summertime when the schools are closed and many people are out of town. Thank you for all the information so far.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 1:59 am
amother wrote:
I grew up in the bay area and have been back to visit quite a few times in the last few years. I don't know about oakland or berkley, but I'm familiar with the palo alto, san jose, and sunnyvale communities. This is my understanding of them:
- Sunnyvale: Lots of israelis, many traditional but not everyone is shomer shabbos. There's the chabad, and there's the sefardi minyan. No eruv. Very nice people but I wouldn't move there l'hatchila if you have a choice. I grew up in sunnyvale Smile
- San Jose: The rav/rebbetzin are young, very nice people. They are more charedi than the rest of the community. It's a bit of a mix. Nice community, more MO than palo alto.
- Palo Alto: It's a mix, but it's more to the right than the others. A few kollel families, but mostly working people. This is my preferred community when we go to visit. Everyone is really nice and sweet.

All 3 places have very nice people, so you'd be happy in that regard in any of them. Since you said you want an MO place, maybe you'd feel most comfortable in the San Jose community. But I would still check out palo alto if you have the chance Smile

I live in the Bay Area, and found this posting to be a little outdated.
Sunnyvale has a new(ish) young Rabbi and Rebbetzin who have been there for 3 years, and are very dynamic and friendly, and working to build a stronger community.
San Jose is actually not Modern Orthodox, and is considered the most right-wing "yeshivish"community in the area. The Rabbi is very inspiring and encourages growth in all areas of yiddishkeit. The community is very warm and welcoming.
Palo Alto's community is largely Modern Orthodox, though it also has its spectrum, including kollel families. It is also a wonderful, friendly place.

Most of California is just really friendly. Smile

As far as Oakland, my understanding is that the shul is modern orthodox, but the majority of congregants are not Shomer Shabbos. The Day School is OHDS - Oakland Hebrew Day School, and I've heard that the academics are good, though I don't know much about the level of observance of the families. If you go further south, SPHDS is in Sunnyvale, and has good education and vibrant student body.

Good luck with your decision making!

gummybear

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 6:13 am
My BIL and SIL live in Oakland, they're very happy there and send to OHDS. They're MO, sound like similar level to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating