Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do I check wild salmon for worms?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:40 pm
How do I check wild salmon for worms?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:12 pm
I've never seen worms in wild salmon. That's the fishmonger's job to check. As far as I know, it's illegal in the US to sell fish that hasn't been checked first.

I know, because I used to work for a fish shop, and that was my job. Some fish are more prone to them than others. Cod, especially. Puke

If you're really worried, ask for the fish to be skinned and filleted first. There's no way the worms can hide once that's done.

GreenEyes26

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:28 pm
You don't have to, because it's a made-up thing.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:43 pm
By the time the rabbis are done we will starve

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:52 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
You don't have to, because it's a made-up thing.

Actually a majority of our food does have nematodes and plathelminthes and a lot of other microscopic life depending on the critter and the host. Like I say I'm a Jew and not a Jain.

GreenEyes26

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 4:11 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Actually a majority of our food does have nematodes and plathelminthes and a lot of other microscopic life depending on the critter and the host. Like I say I'm a Jew and not a Jain.

Irrelevant. It's a made-up kashrut issue.

And I never said the salmon didn't have worms, I just said that it's a not a real thing.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 4:17 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
Irrelevant. It's a made-up kashrut issue.

And I never said the salmon didn't have worms, I just said that it's a not a real thing.

Trust me I'm not arguing with you. Like I said I'm not a Jain.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 4:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've never seen worms in wild salmon. That's the fishmonger's job to check. As far as I know, it's illegal in the US to sell fish that hasn't been checked first.

I know, because I used to work for a fish shop, and that was my job. Some fish are more prone to them than others. Cod, especially. Puke

If you're really worried, ask for the fish to be skinned and filleted first. There's no way the worms can hide once that's done.

Thanks so much for telling me this. I called up the fish store because I buy from a kosher fish store. He said that he checks for worms. That's why his salmon costs so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen