Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are overweight people discriminated against?
Previous  1  2

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:31 am
I think there is a huge difference between overweight and obese.
Also, like everything, it depends how you carry yourself.
An overweight woman who takes care and pride in herself can appear a lot more beautiful and confident than a skinny woman.
Wear nice make up, clothes, jewelry, and daven.

After several kids close in age, I weigh in the 180s (and yes, I wouldn't mind losing the excess weight! Wink), but I can say that I project myself just as well as back when I was 130 lbs. Go in there knowing and feeling that you're truly awesome (if you're struggling with this, then I suggest writing a list of all of your wonderful qualities - be it middos or looks) and know that if this is the right job for you, G-d will help you land it.
Good luck!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 4:49 pm
I used to take depositions for Worker's Compensation Claims.

Overweight nurses are more likely to be injured than regular-sized nurses because their balance is off. But this happens at 100 lbs overweight.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 5:03 pm
What a question, of course! If it's fair or not that's how things go.
Would you want an obese cleaning lady even if she's fantastic ?
Do you want an obese daughter in law?
I don't ,I guess I discriminate.
Does it make a difference that I'm currently on a strict diet and managed to get my weight down to 225?! You tell me. Sad

mille

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
Of course I am wearing things that make me look very put together (I am the OP) that is the most important thing to me. I never go to interviews looking like dreck. But I also have had a few interviews lately and some have felt very good and then nothing, so I was just wondering about this.
So unfair Sad
And hey, for the person who said short people too? Hey, Im short and overweight. What a great combo Sad

Good! I just want to clarify, I didn't think you WEREN'T put together, but I think that might be an issue for some people. Low self confidence plus not taking care in how they dress to an interview might have an affect.

Unfortunately, the job market is really, really tough. Many people are unemployed for months and months and go on lots of interviews before they land something. I really hope you find something soon!

justcallmeima

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 5:34 pm
Statistically, overweight people are definitely at a disadvantage when looking for employment. It is an unfortunate fact of life, and of course impossible to prove.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 7:15 pm
Yes, I do believe many people discriminate based on weight, and they may not even realize they're doing it. They just subconsciously view you more negatively. I think it is terribly unfortunate and am on guard not to do that myself, but if you're asking whether it happens I do think the answer is yes.

However, many overweight people are enormously successful. Don't get yourself down, know what your qualities are and let them shine.

Also, know that for every job opening that multiple people apply to, depending how many applicants for how many openings either some or many will get turned down. Thin people get rejected, overweight people get rejected, smart people get rejected, talented people get rejected. It's the way it works. It's entirely possible that this is just a statistics thing. They chose a candidate, unfortunately it wasn't you, maybe the next round it will be - meanwhile see if you can get some help honing your interview skills to see if there is a way you can present better next time.

Good luck with the job hunt. It can be so demoralizing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics