Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Adult Sensory Disorder
1  2  3  Next

When you realized you had sensory problems was it:
As a kid  
 17%  [ 12 ]
As a married woman  
 82%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 69

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:16 am
Hi Everyone

Nowadays everyone has heard of sensory problems, but most of our parents when we were children were not aware of the issue. As an adult, I now have children going to OT for sensory problems, and I am realizing how messed up my sensory profile is! I have so many tactile meshugasim, and I always laughed them off until I see how seriously the OT takes my kids issues. The problem is that as a kid it is relatively easy to help the children and they can be helped, all the way, whereas adults are programmed for so long like this, that it is so difficult to change, or even want to change. I have not gone to therapy because I have no desire to have to do all the things I cannot stand doing. So I remain, the woman who cannot touch: paper, tile, foam, anything wet, etc.

Anyone relate? What do you do about it?

sped

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:24 am
Deleted

Last edited by sped on Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

nottelling

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:28 am
what's a sensory diet?

allergypro

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 11:08 am
I also realize as an adult that I have sensory issues. Going to follow this thread.

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:08 pm
I am also very sensory tactile wise. I can't touch/rub very soft or smooth things, with my hands or feet. Otoh I love playing with glue, not very useful for an adult, though the years I was a preschool teacher it really worked out nicely.
I became aware of it when I was an older teenager.

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:11 pm
For those of you with sensory issues, im curious, do any of your children have sensory issues.
I have kids sensory to noise, touch and taste.

Happydance

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 1:41 pm
The difference is that children are not aware enough of what is bothering them, and are often subject to the rules that others make for them, so they have less control of what they are subject to. For example, if you find yourself very sensitive to tags, so you first of all will notice that there is a tag bothering you, whereas a child may just be acting out since something is bothering them but they cannot pinpoint it. Then you can problem solve and choose to cut the tags off the clothing, or buy clothing without tags, etc, whereas a child may be given a certain shirt to wear and have no choice of whether or not he wants it.

Another example, an adult will have a better understanding of when she is overstimulated, and just needs a break from the fighting children and choose to go into her room for a few minutes and then return, whereas a child may be just as overstimulated, but not realize it and have a meltdown because of it, and then get "in trouble" for having a tantrum.

Everyone has "sensory" things that they like/dislike/crave etc on different levels. It only becomes an issue when it interferes with daily life. Adults can usually problem solve a way to give themselves the input they crave or avoid the experiences that are overstimulating for them in a responsible and acceptable way

If you need ideas, I can try to help

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 2:11 pm
It's funny, I was just talking about this very thing yesterday! I have sensory issues but just to textures. So when I was a kid, most of the textures that bother me didn't exist then! I don't like fur or wool, but I didn't really come in contact with that. Now, with all of these man made materials, things are different, like fleece or other fuzzy fabrics. It doesn't really affect me. I wear regular clothes, just no wool, which makes me itchy, fur which freaks me out because both the texture and the whole dead-animal aspect and really furry things.

It doesn't really affect me. I have one child who was very sensory and pretty much grew out of it.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:12 pm
My mom claims I was sensory since I was a baby. She said I would scream and scream and couldn't be comforted unless I was being held. Twisted Evil

Nowadays I always need to be comfortable or I can't concentrate on anything else. I never wear wool or turtlenecks or pantyhose or anything too tight or certain kinds of socks with horrible seams across the toes...I'm the opposite kind of sensory with some things though - I love digging my hands into dirt, I love walking barefoot - on hardwood, tile, carpet, cement, asphalt, sand, dirt, grass, gravel, I love it all. I pick at dry skin even though I know I shouldn't, like I chew my lips all the time. Some things I've changed, like it used to really bother me if water got into my eyes in the shower, but I gradually got myself used to it and now I actually enjoy putting my face right into the spray and seeing how long I can hold my breath. LOL

Clothing tags are horrible, I cut them off or nowadays most come just printed on the material (yay! and also, I guess they bother a lot of people...or is it just cheaper this way? hmm)

I can't stand crowded noisy places like shopping malls or places with arcade games ugghh. The screens and monitors of phones and computers are so bright, I always set them to the dimmest settings. Sometimes I hear a small noise and it drives me crazy, I'll hunt all around until I figure out where it's coming from (like the high-pitched whine from the electric socket. So weird.)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:23 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
My mom claims I was sensory since I was a baby. She said I would scream and scream and couldn't be comforted unless I was being held. Twisted Evil

Nowadays I always need to be comfortable or I can't concentrate on anything else. I never wear wool or turtlenecks or pantyhose or anything too tight or certain kinds of socks with horrible seams across the toes...I'm the opposite kind of sensory with some things though - I love digging my hands into dirt, I love walking barefoot - on hardwood, tile, carpet, cement, asphalt, sand, dirt, grass, gravel, I love it all. I pick at dry skin even though I know I shouldn't, like I chew my lips all the time. Some things I've changed, like it used to really bother me if water got into my eyes in the shower, but I gradually got myself used to it and now I actually enjoy putting my face right into the spray and seeing how long I can hold my breath. LOL

Clothing tags are horrible, I cut them off or nowadays most come just printed on the material (yay! and also, I guess they bother a lot of people...or is it just cheaper this way? hmm)

I can't stand crowded noisy places like shopping malls or places with arcade games ugghh. The screens and monitors of phones and computers are so bright, I always set them to the dimmest settings. Sometimes I hear a small noise and it drives me crazy, I'll hunt all around until I figure out where it's coming from (like the high-pitched whine from the electric socket. So weird.)

Hi twin! Wave

I also didn't realize until just recently that I'm on the ASD spectrum.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:09 am
I realized as an adult.

Growing up I was always tugging on the collar of my shirts to pull it away from my neck or unbuttoning buttons. I CANNOT wear turtlenecks and don't like anything close to my neck. Sometimes it's worse than others. I can't even stand to see people with their top button closed (it makes me feel like I'm choking!) and one of my kids does this all the time. AHHHH!!

I also have aversions to white noise type of noises. White noise machines give me instant headaches. I constantly complain about the roar of the HVAC system at work that no one else seems to really hear. Loud noise is no problem :-)

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 2:19 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I realized as an adult.

Growing up I was always tugging on the collar of my shirts to pull it away from my neck or unbuttoning buttons. I CANNOT wear turtlenecks and don't like anything close to my neck. Sometimes it's worse than others. I can't even stand to see people with their top button closed (it makes me feel like I'm choking!) and one of my kids does this all the time. AHHHH!!

I also have aversions to white noise type of noises. White noise machines give me instant headaches. I constantly complain about the roar of the HVAC system at work that no one else seems to really hear. Loud noise is no problem :-)

I hate the bathrooms where an automatic fan goes on when you turn on the light. I'd almost rather sit in the dark than use the bathroom with that fan going! Lol.

solo

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:14 pm
I thought I was the only one! I was always very sensory and it always annoyed my mom. Even now she'll roll her eyes at the things I find uncomfortable.
The two areas that are most disruptive to my life currently are my aversion to wearing things on my head. A Sheitel in particular, but really any head covering drives me to distraction. In a Sheitel I actually start to sweat and can't have a serious conversation.

solo

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:20 pm
The other sensory issue that really affects my life is that I hate the feeling of light touch. Hugs and handshakes and... are fine, and I tolerate a finger accidentally brushing by me. But I loose it when my very sensory son brushes his had on my arm or pokes me with his toe. And his sensory needs are as strong as mine. I am constantly telling him, then threatening him,then punishing him for "not giving me space"
I feel especially bad cuz his other siblings r not sensory in that way and I have no problem with them laying in my bed, sitting in my lap...

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:28 pm
solo wrote:
I thought I was the only one! I was always very sensory and it always annoyed my mom. Even now she'll roll her eyes at the things I find uncomfortable.
The two areas that are most disruptive to my life currently are my aversion to wearing things on my head. A Sheitel in particular, but really any head covering drives me to distraction. In a Sheitel I actually start to sweat and can't have a serious conversation.

I lasted 1 week covering my hair. I just could not do it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:38 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

This is my dd to the T.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:44 pm
Light touch and unexpected touch drives me crazy.
Hair framing my face.
Itchy fabrics.

... Like nails on a blackboard...

Shaitels bother me but I wear them away from my face. I feel very stiff and uncomfortable though. Especially when they are not away from my face, I get a big headache. Same with formal clothes. I get very stiff. I usually like tailored looking comfy clothes.

Other things I have gotten used to because I had to or really wanted to.

I totally thought I had outgrown my sensory issues until I had kids. Couldn't figure out why my sensory issues had come back! Then I realized I was no longer in control of my environment. My sensory issues had not gone away, I just had control over what I was wearing, what touch I was experiencing. And then I lost all that with kids around and everything came back Tongue Out

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:49 pm
Covering with a sheitel is very frustrating. I avoid wearing one whenever I can. The one I wear has a super extra large roomy cap and fits my head without any combs or clips. I'm OK with Israeli tichels because they are so light it literally feels like I'm wearing nothing.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:53 pm
I also feel terrible when I tell my daughter I need space. I feel so bad for her, all she wants is to climb up on my lap because she missed me all day and loves me and it makes me feel like I'm crawling out of my skin.

I hug my kids a lot so I hope it offsets those times when they try to hug me and are rebuffed. Sad

penguin

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:58 pm
How 'bout ticking clocks? I always thought I was the only one who couldn't stand 'em. Though, to be accurate, I mostly only notice if there's one near me when I want to go to sleep.

How 'bout this one? I have trouble sleeping if I'm too hot or too cold. So I have two thin quilts, one heavier one, and one empty duvet cover, and I can switch off between several combinations on any given night.

When I am using the two thin quilts, I tuck the corner of one over my right shoulder, and the corner of the other over my left shoulder, so as to keep my shoulders cozy but not feel constricted near my neck!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics