Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Adult Sensory Disorder
Previous  1  2  3  Next

When you realized you had sensory problems was it:
As a kid  
 17%  [ 12 ]
As a married woman  
 82%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 69

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:00 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Covering with a sheitel is very frustrating. I avoid wearing one whenever I can. The one I wear has a super extra large roomy cap and fits my head without any combs or clips. I'm OK with Israeli tichels because they are so light it literally feels like I'm wearing nothing.

I can handle the shaitel and restrictive clothes if nobody is touching me and I have my space. Doesn't work with kids Smile So I need to dress much more comfortable now than I used to Smile And I need to get undressed, remove my shaitel and tights as soon as I get indoors if I want to be a good mom.
As far as pushing the kids away, I hate that I do that Sad I've been scheduling hugs into the day where I initiate to counter that and hopefully I can give to my kids before they come seeking from me.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 9:52 am
I knew as a kid about my sensory issues just didn't know it was called that and didn't know there is anything that can be done to help it besides for living with it, dealing with it or avoiding it.
I think I can relate to at least one thing of every post in this thread.
I can't handle wool, my mom always looked out for the cotton stuff then I was little, and as I was growing up I avoided wool or acylic in clothing.
I get itchy, or tickly in an extreme sense.
I hate sudden touch, or light hugs.
I grew up always touching everything, getting my hands into everything, it was driving my family nuts. I need to touch the floor, the batter, the dough... I had to have something in my hands. Our mouth! I still do. Sad
I couldn't and still can't handle labels on clothes. My mom used to take them off when I was a kid. Now is easier as lots of labels are printed on the fabric. I just recently put on something new erev shabbos and it was bothering me all the time on to I relized that it has a label, it bothered me to the extent that I had to change but as soon as shabbos was over I went and got that label off!
I hate getting wet by others, but can handle myself doing it.
I hate wearing my sheitel, it's always bothering me, as a Kallah I was very clear cut and set it awry from my face but as times are changing is hard to keep it that way but at least ah from my eyes is a must. As soon as I step into the house is off. My dh can't understand why I don't wear my sheitel when we travel if everybody else can.
I always needs to be comfortable in my own way I would always get teased by my siblings and now sometimes even dh lol.
I can't touch shopping bags! Wow that's a big one especially in the summer. The only ones I'm OK with are the hard type of plastic. Now is not such an issue as I usually go out with a stroller so I don't need to hold bags but as a girl I was terrible about it. It was torturous when I went shopping and had to carry the bags home!
I can go on and on at this point I Keep telling dh it's my sensory issues and I don't always now how to handle it. Life in the bedroom can be a challenge because of it.
I have one kid with sensory issues, and I always need to tell dc get your hands off me. Dc is getting ot I don't see how it is helping to overcome these things but I do see it helping in dc getting the sensory input in a positive way so the sensory need in other situations is not as bad on the days that he gets ot. But dc is still young so let's hope it helps more.

Anyway, is the anything adults can to to overcome sensory issues?

pickle321

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 3:19 pm
Why are the only choices as a kid and as married? I realized as a single adult. I can't stand having my hands wet. I can't sleep without socks on no matter how hot it is. I hate ticking clocks and won't be able to sleep if I hear one I hate filing my nails. There are so many more can't list everything. Is there anything to do about it at this point?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:03 pm
I remembered another one after the recent mikvah thread - I hate anyone touching my hands or feet. I would never go for manicures or pedicures (or massages). I can't imagine seeing it as a "treat" it seems more like drawn-out torture to me.

I think the only way to adapt/change preferences is by forced exposure/conditioning. Otherwise no one would ever wear a bra.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:05 pm
Also, even though I identify with many sensory issues, I still wouldn't identify as having a sensory disorder because the most important part is - does it affect your life, work, relationships in significant and damaging ways. If it doesn't, then it's not severe enough to be a disorder.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:28 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Also, even though I identify with many sensory issues, I still wouldn't identify as having a sensory disorder because the most important part is - does it affect your life, work, relationships in significant and damaging ways. If it doesn't, then it's not severe enough to be a disorder.

Same here, BH

solo

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 3:40 pm
I was excited to this thread. And eager to read what ppl do to deal with their sensory issues. So lots of ppl who r sensory. But no ideas on how to manage it. What do u all do to deal with it?

myself

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 3:50 pm
Yeah, I only realised it was a 'problem' after I got married. I can see DS following in my footsteps unfortunately. Neither of us is sensory in the way of needing to touch things, it's more dislikes than likes.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 3:54 pm
Well, I put a band-aid onto my bra today because a tiny piece of the strap was poking me. LOL

So I deal with it by a) minimizing discomfort whenever possible b) forcing myself to endure discomfort when minimizing it is impossible which leads to c) gradually growing accustomed to certain things just because I have to and have done them so many times that they gradually becomes okay instead of terrible. There's also d) avoiding certain situations entirely because minimizing discomfort isn't possible. I try to go for b) instead of d) but sometimes I just can't.

RedCurls

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:55 pm
I've come to recognize my sensory issues through realizing that DC has sensory issues and trying to get help. I recommend everyone read The Out of Synch Child.
I hate touching other people's feet or having anyone touch mine. Pedicures are out of the question. I try to think ahead and plan for when I will get overstimulated and avoid places like Kids in Action and sometimes even Target with its bright lights. I find it helps to plan in general, recognize when it's "too much" and leave before I or my children start de compensating (I have a very even keeled and integrated dh) and make sure I always have food on me.
I also had many fears as a child that I've learned now were sensory. It's too bad that I was teased and made fun of by my parents and siblings. PLEASE don't make fun of your kids!!!
As to my child, She craves sensory input and I try to provide it however the OT recommends. Her sibling however is always climbing on me and sitting on me and it makes me crazy and I feel awful about it but I really can't take it.
I'm sure there's more but that's what I have for now.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:14 am
pickle321 wrote:
Why are the only choices as a kid and as married? I realized as a single adult. I can't stand having my hands wet. I can't sleep without socks on no matter how hot it is. I hate ticking clocks and won't be able to sleep if I hear one. I hate filing my nails. There are so many more can't list everything. Is there anything to do about it at this point?

Me too.

Literally, to the letter.

Amazing.

luppamom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 6:06 am
Wow, this is a very interesting thread. I also have sensory issues. I'm noticing them more now that I have a baby and I can't control the way I'm touched.

I find nursing the worst b/c my baby has free rein to touch and grab my face and other random body parts. My sides are especially sensitive.

Another weird one. I hate the feeling of just cut nails. I especially nails cut all of the way. I usually just let them grow and only cut them (and not all the way) when they start getting very long or if I have to go to the mikvah.

Oh, and I hate when people touch me from the back. I have to know someone is going to touch me so that I can mentally prepare.

Why is in Misc.? I think more people would share if it were anonymous.

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:30 pm
I am like that too! I cannot have my nails too short, it feels so gross I have to curl my fingers tightly in a fist and not touch anything! Same when my hands are wet..iiich!

My worst one--this is embarrassing, is I cannot stand brushing my teeth. I do, but I have to force myself every time, and it feels like torture, and I deff "forget" more than I should. Anyone like this?

I HATE the feeling of that fake snow stuff! And Playdough--eeeew! and raw chicken, hand cream, SHAITLES!

What else...when there are two musics playing at the same time--cd player and someone else singing a diff song--its not just an ugly sound, its like, my brain cant handle it and I feel like running away and screaming.

We sound totally crazy to people who don't have this... haha

momesq

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:15 pm
So my teenage DD is very sensory and doesn't like touch. Based on all your experiences what can she do NOW while in HS to desensitize her to touch to prepare her for marriage, intimacy, nursing, children etc. All ideas welcome!

luppamom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:22 pm
momesq wrote:
So my teenage DD is very sensory and doesn't like touch. Based on all your experiences what can she do NOW while in HS to desensitize her to touch to prepare her for marriage, intimacy, nursing, children etc. All ideas welcome!

Can you take her to an OT? I think it could make things worse to try to do it yourself. Sending her to a professional and helping her now would be a big chessed for her.

momesq

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:26 pm
I am doing that but she's resistant

alittlebirdie

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:34 pm
I can't wear a sheitel. And it gets me very nervous when pple touch me. Including my kids. It caused some SB problems in the begining. Learned how to touch iin limited amounts.

mpm

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 6:54 pm
I am noticing my sensory issues much more since I am married and have kids. I recently realized that I am very sensitive to light and changes in light and it sometimes makes me feel uneasy/ a bit anxious in those situations as well. Anyone feel the same way? I noticed someone mentioned about the bright lights in Target. Any tips?

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:11 pm
pickle321 wrote:
Why are the only choices as a kid and as married? I realized as a single adult. I can't stand having my hands wet. I can't sleep without socks on no matter how hot it is. I hate ticking clocks and won't be able to sleep if I hear one I hate filing my nails. There are so many more can't list everything. Is there anything to do about it at this point?

I also became more aware as a single adult. My whole life, I could never sleep without socks either. I guess I was forced to deal with that during my first pregnancy when my feet were too swollen for socks. Took me a while but now I am usually fine without socks at night.
I have always been very sensitive to touch. It's very hard for my poor husband sometimes. Too many things touching me also makes me very anxious and overwhelmed, like wearing a coat and a purse while holding a kid.
I also can't stand water on my face. I have a hard time washing my face. I also sometimes "forget" more than I should. I use face wash wipes when I can but it's not as effective. Mikvah makes me crazy.
Noises also bother me. The hood vent over the stove drives me crazy. The sound of dishwashers running, or the sound of the air blowing to hard in the car. I get anxious, overwhelmed, can't focus.
I wish I could have had OT for this because it definitely affects me as an adult!

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:22 pm
I mostly shop online or order by email for a combination of sensory reasons that overwhelm me in brick-and-mortar stores.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics