Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Help me find a snack to accompany my daily coffee
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:15 pm
I am looking for a snack- either something that can be purchased from a store or that can be homemade- to enjoy with my daily coffee. Preferable 100 cal or less. I don't like those "healthy" biscotti that are all the rage now- tastes bland. What are your ideas?

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 8:20 pm
I made these today and they were excellent. I got 12 muffins. There is only 1/2 cup sugar in the whole recipe. Divide by 12 and it's only a tsp or two. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....fins/

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:28 pm
Entermans has nice diet stuff if you are a naughty girl who eats ou d .

Ima_Shelli

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:32 pm
Chocolate. Two squares of Rosemarie or one truffle (like ghiradelli or godiva). 100 calories and taste eons better than any 'diet' stuff. Discovering this has revolutionized my life.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:34 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Entermans has nice diet stuff if you are a naughty girl who eats ou d .

Entenmenn's (I assume that's what you meant) is waaayyy too commercial tasting for me.

@ mha3484: those look interesting, thanks for the link.

mom2be1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:46 pm
Puffins cereal

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 9:52 pm
I eat a mehadrin greek yogurt cheese snack. It's very expensive but it tastes so good ..like cheese cake and it fills me up for a long while when I eat it with coffee. Its 120 calories but has a lot of protein. How can you go wrong with a piece of "cheesecake" with coffee?

Or Tirosh chocolate coated biscuits. With that you have to know how to eat it to enjoy... If you dip it in the coffee the chocolate melts and is so delicious. Don't have a package in front if me to check calories but with weight watcher each one is 1/2 pt. so you can eat quite a few without feeling guilty.

abaker

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:07 pm
It's funny I thought of you allthinggsblue before I opened this post, because I recall you mentioning a whole wheat pastry with your coffee a while back.

I made really good whole wheat blueberry muffins last week (vegan too!) you might like those.

Are you looking for something really good or something good and healthy?

rachelbg

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:15 pm
Slice of whole wheat toast and peanut butter. Filling, healthy, and easy to prepare. Oh, and delicious.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:21 pm
When are you having your "coffee snack"?

I would say any type of homemade healthy muffin would be good idea. You can make whole grain, use healthier sweeteners and add healthy fruits or veggies to it.

Also a banana is easy and very healthy.
Greek yogurt is also a good snack, high in protein. Just watch for sugar content, can be high is some brands.
Nuts like almonds make a great snack - full of protein (just don't eat too many). It's easy to make some made trail mix. Add in some dried fruit and chocolate chips..etc. yummy quick snack.
Or a spoonful of nut butter with whole grain crackers, toast, bread or rice cakes make for a quickhealthy snack.

lucky14

Post Sun, Jun 14 2015, 10:32 pm
How about graham crackers? :-p but that might be too similar to your biscotti. They have 100 cal snack packs of cookies you can buy. I also like the idea that was mentioned above of cereal.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:58 am
abaker wrote:
It's funny I thought of you allthinggsblue before I opened this post, because I recall you mentioning a whole wheat pastry with your coffee a while back.

I made really good whole wheat blueberry muffins last week (vegan too!) you might like those.

Are you looking for something really good or something good and healthy?

Can you post the recipe?
I am looking for something pretty good and healthy, or something really good but less than 100 cal.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:00 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
Chocolate. Two squares of Rosemarie or one truffle (like ghiradelli or godiva). 100 calories and taste eons better than any 'diet' stuff. Discovering this has revolutionized my life.

I know, I actually do that very often- I buy a chocolate bar and have two squares a day. Problem is that my husband loves chocolate but does not know how to use portion control, so he will finish the entire chocolate bar in one day... leaving me with nothing, and leaving him with a whole lot of calories and sat fat that he doesn't need!
Maybe I should hide the chocolate bar where he won't find it... is that a breach of sholom bayis??? LOL

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:50 am
Trader joes sells really yummy cinnamon sugar twists. I believe each piece is around 35 calories and they are so satisfying and delicious with a cup if coffee. Pure bliss. coffee

etky

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:55 am
Granola bars. They've been my 'sweet fix' for years, since I did WW.
One of the crunchy Nature Valley bars that come two in a pack is under 100 calories. If I need something more I have one of the larger, chewy kind. I keep a variety of bars on hand so I don't get bored.
I also like 2 or 3 plain "petit buerre " biscuits as an alternative to the granola bar.
A (small) handful of almonds and raisins are great too but I don't particularly care for them along with the coffee.
Sometimes a small dessert bowl of a sweet cereal will do the trick too.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:28 am
mha3484 wrote:
I made these today and they were excellent. I got 12 muffins. There is only 1/2 cup sugar in the whole recipe. Divide by 12 and it's only a tsp or two. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....fins/

I just made a similar recipe with frozen raspberries on Friday. They were indeed delicious and I couldn't resist having one with my late afternoon coffee today. However they, as well as the muffins in the Smitten Kitchen recipe are more than 100 calories per muffin. A rough calculation of the ingredients in the blueberry recipe comes closer to 200 calories. So maybe OP wants to have half a muffin with her coffee.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:38 am
How about subbing half the oil/butter for applesauce, using no calorie sweetener in place of the sugar, fat free yogurt, spelt flour instead of wheat and maybe making smaller muffins to bring down the calories?

You can also make coconut macaroons for something low calorie and you can have more than one.

abaker

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 12:11 pm
http://www.food.com/recipe/ver.....78278

I used extra pareve milk to thin out the batter, I used unsweetened almond instead of soy. And made sure to go a little less than 1/2 cup sugar. And iirc I think I used organic white flour and not whole wheat...or maybe I used a blend?

But the muffins were so moist and fluffy and I added a little cinnamon because I love it!

imachossid

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 12:16 pm
Chocolate is the answer, who cares what the question is 🍫

sima

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 12:36 pm
if you eat ou-d,

Luna bars. I love them, the chocolate one, the coconut one, etc. Plus they are healthy and so so good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics