Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Living room paint color to go with turquoise and blue- help!
1  2  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:17 pm
I have a large living room that although it has some windows, it doesn't have much light in the evenings .
Right now it is a dull builders' beigy white and I want to paint. However, I hate white paint. And cream. And beige, greige and so on.
My furniture, accesories, and paintings are cream, teal and light blue with dark wood. (the cream and teal are the most prominent colors) The floor is a light wood color.
I have no idea what to paint the walls. I tried very light green- makes me nauseous. I tried mixing a drop of teal w/ white- turns light green, makes me nauseous. I tried light blue, doesn't work w/ the teal.
So now what do I try?
Anon in case my friends are on here and recognize my furninture....

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:24 pm
Go on to Houzz. Type in your colours, see what kind of rooms pop up).

I don't think you can paint in the same colour family. The turquoise and blue are beautiful when they shine out, as a contrast, not when the whole room is a blander shade of blue, taking the beauty out of both furniture and walls (blue walls and turquoise furniture COULD work if you had an amazing room with TONS of light, and lots of white, and an interior designer to pull it all together. But under normal circumstances...no).

I do think you need a pale shade of cream or beige or yellow. They are not 'boring'; they are not meant to be the star of the show, your turquoise accessories are. They just provide a fresh background.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:26 pm
How about grey or light peach

solo

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:30 pm
Agree with above that u need to choose a neutral color. Sticking to the same palate will make the room look like a doll house. I don't love taupe, but I think it'll look best with the rest of ur colors

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:36 pm
I would go with a warmish taupe, but you say you don't like greige... Maybe go for a deeper taupe.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:39 pm
I was also thinking a soft grey.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/10.....ondon

etky

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 1:42 pm
Yes, a pale taupe would be a very nice, neutral foil for the furniture's light blue tones. Not too dark. Since your living room is large and isn't abundantly illuminated, I definitely think that you need a 'warmish' tone for the walls rather than a 'cool' tone like pale blue. If you like you can paint one wall a slightly darker shade to create a more interesting effect.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:47 pm
Hm grey is so interesting! Problem is I tend to be depressed and I'm worried if grey walls will affect that.
I don't want peach- will compete w turquoise.
I thought maybe a white w a blue undertone- what do you think of that?
And sorry but I despise taupe and greige... I cringe whenever I see those 'neutral' colors being used.

imachossid

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:51 pm
How about a light yellow, should give it some more light & will go great with turquoise & blues.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:51 pm
I know you said you don't like beige and to be honest neither do I, but I love this color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e.....odash

On the walls, it's the color of coffee with lots of milk.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 3:55 pm
What about off-white with one teal accent wall? Or all teal with one wallpapered wall in a bold black and white pattern?

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:09 pm
A pale peach will actually complement the turquoise, blue and orange are opposite each other on the color wheel which means that they go well together.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:14 pm
Very interesting ideas! now how to find a yellow or peach that is super light so it doesn't look like an orange or a taxi on my walls Smile
Just wondering - would pale lavender go w the teal? I know it goes w blue but not sure about teal. ( the teal is more blue than green )

yogabird

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:19 pm
3 grey walls + one coral wall.

love coral and turquoise together!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
I have a large living room that although it has some windows, it doesn't have much light in the evenings .
Right now it is a dull builders' beigy white and I want to paint. However, I hate white paint. And cream. And beige, greige and so on.
My furniture, accesories, and paintings are cream, teal and light blue with dark wood. (the cream and teal are the most prominent colors) The floor is a light wood color.
I have no idea what to paint the walls. I tried very light green- makes me nauseous. I tried mixing a drop of teal w/ white- turns light green, makes me nauseous. I tried light blue, doesn't work w/ the teal.
So now what do I try?
Anon in case my friends are on here and recognize my furninture....

I just had two home decor designers. My living room is large with minimal light. I'm Looking to redo the room totally. Had black And pink furniture and light wood floors. they both independently advised on grey and blue furniture with light grey walls and very dark floor. Not sure yet what I'll do..... but they pointed out on very light grey walls. Have to see it in real first.

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:30 pm
Lavender would not go. Too many cool colors, and it won't look good with your floors. Yellow can look sickly, I'd say that peach would be better. Get someone who knows their colors to advise you because colors can go SO wrong if you don't know what you're doing.

ETA: I like the above suggestion of coral. Pretty! And gray is good too.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:39 pm
I feel like coral is a bit cliche.
It's funny bec I have an excellent eye for color but now I'm stumped. First time ever.....
Dh is not sold on the grey.

alef12

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:39 pm
http://m.benjaminmoore.com/pai.....x-tan

I have this one on my living/dining room walls. It's very rich and warm. It goes beautifully with walnut stained wood floors, a mix of dark and medium wood furniture and torquoise/teal accents in the room.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:40 pm
Mustard

Dijon yellow

Dark yellow

Salmon

imeinu

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 4:42 pm
I like the sound of the yellow. its not too similar that it will clash but will def. lighten and brighten the room!
try one of those tiny sampler paint cans and paint on a small spot and see how it looks!

good luck and let us know what you decide in the end!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics