Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Luzer Twersky
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 4:10 pm
Just a thought-

I also know many 'heimish', 'chassidish' entrepreneurs with large, successful businesses and no higher education. They are mostly from my father's and grandfather's generation. Today, it is very difficult (although not impossible) to start a successful business because many niches are now filled and competition is much stronger.

A college education is definitely much more in demand today, because when you are one of 1,000 applicants you will want as many qualifications as you can get. And from my experience, it does seem like it is much more accepted for chassidim to go to college (especially in the frum programs!) By my graduation, a chassidish guy with curly payos got an award in psychology. Check out Machon L'parnasa, an Associates program branch of Touro College- it is full of chassidim. I myself had several classmates from Williamsburg.

I don't understand the concept of women being less advantaged. If anything, many chassidish women opt to be stay-at-home moms because it is usually the husband who is the breadwinner, so it's just a dynamics thing and not because they can't.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:44 am
Squishy wrote:
This only works well as long as other Jews are willing to pay the tax to deal with Jewish owned businesses. There are so many businesses that hire non Jewish businesses and add no value but charge a premium. I am not talking about hiring Spanish workers and managing the job. I am talking about hiring a another Jew to hire the entire company and charge a 40% premium.

The hareidi and chassidic businesses where I live have great prices.

I'm not doubting your story, but the fact that some chassidic business owners overcharge doesn't mean chassidim owning businesses "only works" if people are willing to pay extra for Jewish labor. It can also "work" the way any other business works - because they're providing a good/service people want/need, at a price they're willing to pay.

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 9:30 am
ora_43 wrote:
The hareidi and chassidic businesses where I live have great prices.

I'm not doubting your story, but the fact that some chassidic business owners overcharge doesn't mean chassidim owning businesses "only works" if people are willing to pay extra for Jewish labor. It can also "work" the way any other business works - because they're providing a good/service people want/need, at a price they're willing to pay.

You didn't read correctly. I said businesses that don't add value.

Frum Jews are willing to pay to do business with other Frum Jews. I am willing to pay only when it makes sense financially or I am friends with the owner. Doing home improvements solely because the contractor is Jewish is expensive. It can commonly cost 40% more to hire the exact same non Jewish company yourself.

We had this issue with hiring a plumbing company. We bid for a plumber and the Jewish guy came in 40% higher. We saw on another job he was using the very same non Jewish company we hired directly. This is common.

I hired Frum Jews when the price is close. I also shop in a store my friend owns even though I can buy her goods at less than half at National stores. I paid $2400 for something I can buy for under a $1000. I like her very much and she is struggling. I think of it as I purchased $800 worth of goods and the rest is chessed.

What price difference do you support Frum Jews at a cost to yourself?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics