Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Black-strap Molasses
1  2  3  Next

luppamom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 1:23 pm
I'm off of all dairy products. I bought black-strap molasses b/c I heard that it has a lot of calcium. I tried it and I don't really like the taste.

Any ideas of foods I can "sneak" it into so that I can get its benefits w/o the strong taste?

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 5:09 pm
baked goods like gingerbread, spice cake, pfefferneusse, tea breads; cholent; baked beans; pretty much anything that has a robust flavor of its own.

syrima

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 9:08 pm
I also bought some for health reasons a while ago. It is real strong stuff and I could not find a recipe for baked goods where it tasted good with the molasses in it.
Only thing is maybe if you put a tablespoon in with the cholent then maybe you would not notice. Puke

abaker

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 9:43 pm
I also have some in my pantry..not sure what to make with if either. I think I will Pinterest it for ideas.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 10:40 pm
I put it in my cholent and baked beans.

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 11:23 pm
Arent there easier and tastier ways to get your RDA of Calcium, even if youre dairy-free?

A Dr told me to drink Calcium fortified Orange Juice. Others take Calcium/Magnesium supplements, etc.

sheifelah

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:24 am
You must try this recipe, it is amazing!!!!!!!! I usually use whole wheat flour and coconut oil, and brown sugar, instead of white flour, margarine/butter, and white sugar. I think I'll make some tomorrow, iy"H!

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe.....kies/

Miri7

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 3:13 am
I grew up eating my grandmothers homemade black strap molasses. She would bake fresh buiscuits, stick her finger into the side of the biscuit, and pour some molasses in. Yum! But I guess it would only be yummy for those who like the flavor.

luppamom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 4:43 am
I am also taking calcium and Vitamin D supplements. I just also want to eat foods high in Calcium b/c supplements are not always well absorbed by the body. I'm breastfeeding so I need to make sure that my body has enough nutrients for both myself and my baby.

Either way, I want to eat foods that are naturally rich in calcium (not added). Black-strap molasses is full of nutrients in a rather small amount, so I thought it was a good idea. Until I tasted it lol. Sheifelah, I'm excited about the recipe! I have put it in chulent and meatballs and didn't taste a difference. Baked beans sounds like a good idea too.

Mevater

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:27 am
Blackstrap molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process. Sugar cane juice has to be heated, clarified and boiled to make molasses, which is a rich source of many nutrients. Because the syrup goes through several heating processes before it forms, heating it further will not kill the many nutrients it contains. However, you should store molasses in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place to keep it fresh.

Calcium
Most people think of dairy products as the primary source of calcium. While these foods are rich in the mineral, blackstrap molasses is as well -- 1 tablespoon gives you 41 milligrams of calcium. This mineral helps your bones stay strong, which becomes especially important as you age, and it also ensures that your heart, muscles and nerves are functioning properly. If you choose not to or cannot consume dairy, adding blackstrap molasses to your diet can help you get the amount of calcium you need each day. Adults between the ages of 19 and 50 need 1,000 milligrams of calcium a day.

http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....ents/

If an adult needs 1,000 mg a day of calcium, and each tablespoon of blackstrap molasses has 41 mg, youd need 24 tablespoons a day to get the rda. Youd have to reaaaaally like it to have 24 tablespoons a day.

But I see that heat doesnt lessen the nutrients, like when putting it in chulent and baked goods, so thats good.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:16 am
Here are some other foods containing calcium that I prefer to black strap molasses:

Spinach
Canned salmon (with bones!)
Sardines
Kale
Black eyed peas
Almonds
Oranges
Sesame seeds

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:20 am
Mevater wrote:
Blackstrap molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process. Sugar cane juice has to be heated, clarified and boiled to make molasses, which is a rich source of many nutrients. Because the syrup goes through several heating processes before it forms, heating it further will not kill the many nutrients it contains. However, you should store molasses in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place to keep it fresh.

Calcium
Most people think of dairy products as the primary source of calcium. While these foods are rich in the mineral, blackstrap molasses is as well -- 1 tablespoon gives you 41 milligrams of calcium. This mineral helps your bones stay strong, which becomes especially important as you age, and it also ensures that your heart, muscles and nerves are functioning properly. If you choose not to or cannot consume dairy, adding blackstrap molasses to your diet can help you get the amount of calcium you need each day. Adults between the ages of 19 and 50 need 1,000 milligrams of calcium a day.

http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....ents/

If an adult needs 1,000 mg a day of calcium, and each tablespoon of blackstrap molasses has 41 mg, youd need 24 tablespoons a day to get the rda. Youd have to reaaaaally like it to have 24 tablespoons a day.

But I see that heat doesnt lessen the nutrients, like when putting it in chulent and baked goods, so thats good.

I think regular molasses has 41 mg, blackstrap molasses has something like 170 mg calcium

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:01 am
I use it in milkshakes. Frozen bananas, milk-of some sort, vanilla and molasses. Carob powder is also good in it.

Mevater

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:33 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I think regular molasses has 41 mg, blackstrap molasses has something like 170 mg calcium

I just checked. The most common kosher brand of blackstrap molasses thats sold in the health food stores has 110 mg of calcium per tablespoon.

sheifelah

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:15 pm
I really hope you enjoy the recipe luppamom!

luppamom

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 5:00 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Here are some other foods containing calcium that I prefer to black strap molasses:

Spinach
Canned salmon (with bones!)
Sardines
Kale
Black eyed peas
Almonds
Oranges
Sesame seeds

If anyone is curious: (this is just from a quick search. there may be some mistakes.) Canned salmon seems like it is really good. Maybe I'll try to get some of that. I can't stomach sardines. Some of the other stuff, I haven't found in Israel. But, I do like Halva, so that might work.

Spinach (1 c.): 3%
Canned salmon (whole can): 97%
Sardines (can): 35%
Kale (1 c.): 10%
Black eyed peas (1 c. a lot) 18%
Almonds (1 c. a lot) 37%
Orange: 4%
Sesame seeds (1 Tbsp: 8%

It looks like canned salmon is the best. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of some.

luppamom

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 5:01 am
Mevater wrote:
I just checked. The most common kosher brand of blackstrap molasses thats sold in the health food stores has 110 mg of calcium per tablespoon.

I looked at mine and couldn't tell b/c it just had a % and I'm not sure exactly what it's a percentage of. It's also probably for a 2,000 calorie diet and I eat less calories than that.

luppamom

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 5:02 am
sheifelah wrote:
I really hope you enjoy the recipe luppamom!

Me too. It looks very interesting. Now, I just need to get off of the computer and get to work!

myself

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 5:06 am
luppamom wrote:
If anyone is curious: (this is just from a quick search. there may be some mistakes.) Canned salmon seems like it is really good. Maybe I'll try to get some of that. I can't stomach sardines. Some of the other stuff, I haven't found in Israel. But, I do like Halva, so that might work.

Spinach (1 c.): 3%
Canned salmon (whole can): 97%
Sardines (can): 35%
Kale (1 c.): 10%
Black eyed peas (1 c. a lot) 18%
Almonds (1 c. a lot) 37%
Orange: 4%
Sesame seeds (1 Tbsp: 8%

It looks like canned salmon is the best. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of some.

Halva (sesame seeds) will probably give you almost as much as the salmon as 8% is only for 1 Tbsp, if you have the equivalent quantity of one can of salmon you'll get quite a lot. Salmon is a less fattening option though.

mandksima

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 8:21 am
Whole techina (ground into a butter) in a jar that you mix with water, lemon, salt and garlic powder is a better choice than halva because you are not adding in sugar. You can drizzle it on salads as a dressing.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics