Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shul banquet ideas

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 8:29 pm
Lucky me- I was just asked to co-chair the shul banquet- I really wanted to say no- but they are honoring someone close to our family and someone I really respect. I also know this someone and family would be thrilled not to have the usual boring chicken dinner speeches slideshow etc. Any suggestions? Our shul doesn't have much of a budget so it most likely has to be done in the shul, although a long time ago at another shul we all went to the symphony and had desserts after and that was kind of cool- what about turning it into an art auction and do wine and cheeses. Has anyone out there done something other than the usual.
Thanks!

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 8:46 am
bump

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 9:15 am
That would be more enjoyable for me, but people probably expect a full meal.
To do something like that, work it into each course.
Fancy cheeses
Wines
Spiced bread
Salads
Main: salmon

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:43 pm
Thanks- another idea was to have one of those paint your own pottery or instructor led painting companies come in, or have kedem come in and do a wine tasting- these are all things that just popped into my head. I tried googling shul banquet/ journal dinners and office parties, but could n;t find much.
Anyone else out there might have done something fun for their shul banquet????

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 2:01 pm
eema1 wrote:
Lucky me- I was just asked to co-chair the shul banquet- I really wanted to say no- but they are honoring someone close to our family and someone I really respect. I also know this someone and family would be thrilled not to have the usual boring chicken dinner speeches slideshow etc. Any suggestions? Our shul doesn't have much of a budget so it most likely has to be done in the shul, although a long time ago at another shul we all went to the symphony and had desserts after and that was kind of cool- what about turning it into an art auction and do wine and cheeses. Has anyone out there done something other than the usual.
Thanks!

Unless your shul is very different from those I am familiar with:

Shul banquet => major fundraiser for shul that allows it to pay the heating bill all winter.

Honoring person => person is expected to hit up everyone s/he knows for donations

It really doesn't matter what the honoree wants. It matters what people are willing to pay for. So if you live in a community where people are willing to fork over a couple of hundred bucks to attend an art auction, or where you think you can get donations of artwork that will sell for thousands, great. Same for wine and cheese (which could well cost more than your average rubber chicken dinner) or anything else.

Paint your own pottery may well be fun, but as a major fundraiser? Think of the wealthiest family in your shul. Are they going to donate $10,000 to a paint your own pottery event? If not -- and the answer in my community would clearly be no -- then forget it.

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 2:34 pm
Thanks Barbara- I think in my community people come to these things because they feel they have to, Its always the same donors and the same people working on things etc. etc. I thought by doing something fun it may bring out more of the younger crowd. Do you think (I am asking seriously- not trying to sound obnoxious) in your neighborhood the big donors prefer the chicken dinner /speeches/ slide show etc. Do people really enjoy that? Am I the odd one out???

cbg

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 5:43 pm
The journal is usually a big money maker.
Start selling adds as early as possible.
People like to put ads to congratulate the honorees, rabbis, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics