Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to Move Somewhere Nice Where We Can Find Good Jobs
1  2  Next

utterly purple

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:41 am
Hi,
We've been living in Toronto for nearly five years, and I am pretty much done with cold weather 8 months out of every year. The reason we moved here was so my husband could pursue a job, which for various reasons-including the fact that we could not survive on the salary-are not really shayach anymore. So I am looking for a great community in a place that is preferably warm most of the year, although I'll take normal seasons as well, where my husband can find a job that pays decently with good schools for the kids. We are chassidish, but don't mind being the only shtreimel family around Very Happy . Probably the biggest problem we face is that my husband does not have a diploma, much less a degree. We are working on his GED right now. He is really good at whatever he sets his mind to, though, and catches on really quickly. If anyone knows of a place that would hire someone like that and has any suggestions as to where we could live, that would be amazing! Thank you!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:44 am
I don't have any ideas, but I see you're new, Welcome!
And, I love your screen name!

Edit: just checked the date... Oops! embarrassed

Chavas

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:33 am
Dallas

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:44 am
Wait a minute. You're in Canada now? Can either of you actually work in America?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:49 am
I would say get your degree and green card first ( unless you were in America ) first before thinking about moving

Liebs

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:19 pm
Find the job then find community within driving distance.
Lakewood/Monsey/5 Towns and then all out of NY communities.
Any OOT such as Cleveland and Detroit both pretty set up communities where housing is cheaper and jobs are available from what I hear.

utterly purple

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 5:57 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I don't have any ideas, but I see you're new, Welcome!
And, I love your screen name!

Edit: just checked the date... Oops! embarrassed

Thank you! Haven't been here in a while, so it's still nice to be welcomed Smile

utterly purple

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 5:59 pm
esheschayil wrote:
Wait a minute. You're in Canada now? Can either of you actually work in America?

We are both American citizens, so that is not a problem. Thank you for the suggestion!

utterly purple

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 6:00 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I would say get your degree and green card first ( unless you were in America ) first before thinking about moving

We are both American citizens. The problem with waiting for a degree is that it can take a while and our DD is approaching first grade in a year...

utterly purple

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 6:01 pm
Liebs wrote:
Find the job then find community within driving distance.
Lakewood/Monsey/5 Towns and then all out of NY communities.
Any OOT such as Cleveland and Detroit both pretty set up communities where housing is cheaper and jobs are available from what I hear.

That's a great idea, now I just need to find the job... Wink
I will definitely look into those options. Thank you!

piece

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 7:47 pm
for each place that you are considering, see if you can get their weekly that lists all their classifieds and this way you'll see who has the jobs that would suit you. hatzlocha.

spring13

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 8:55 pm
What kind of skills does he have? What does he WANT to do? That could affect where the jobs are, or where he can get relevant education.

Look properly out of town. If you're willing to live without a huge number of people who are exactly like you, then you've got a lot more options, especially in terms of climate! Try Atlanta maybe? I'm not sure about the cost of living there, but it'll definitely be warmer. I hear good things about Dallas too.

utterly purple

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 6:13 pm
piece wrote:
for each place that you are considering, see if you can get their weekly that lists all their classifieds and this way you'll see who has the jobs that would suit you. hatzlocha.

Great idea, thank you!

utterly purple

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 6:18 pm
spring13 wrote:
What kind of skills does he have? What does he WANT to do? That could affect where the jobs are, or where he can get relevant education.

Look properly out of town. If you're willing to live without a huge number of people who are exactly like you, then you've got a lot more options, especially in terms of climate! Try Atlanta maybe? I'm not sure about the cost of living there, but it'll definitely be warmer. I hear good things about Dallas too.

He is a shochet who is also great with computers-he has set up several websites and has computer programming skills, photography, and some steel welding-he is learning that right now. The computer and photography skills are self-taught. I am not sure which he wants to do most, probably the one that would get him the best job possible. Atlanta and Dallas both sound good, I will look into both. Thank you!

**Forgot to mention that he also remodeled part of our house, including plumbing and electricity. He has built stuff out of wood. Like I said, he is great at whatever he tries and catches on really quickly.

Last edited by utterly purple on Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

utterly purple

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 6:20 pm
Chavas wrote:
Dallas

Do you know if Dallas has the type of weekly classidfieds that piece mentioned in email form? Thx!

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 8:19 pm
Shechita used to be in Iowa; not sure about nowadays. Supposed to have been a nice community.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 11:40 pm
Minneapolis?
Too much snow/cold?

utterly purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:39 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Shechita used to be in Iowa; not sure about nowadays. Supposed to have been a nice community.

Thank you! I'll look into it.

utterly purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Minneapolis?
Too much snow/cold?

If it's as bad as Toronto, definitely. Thx though!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 4:55 pm
Hey op! Im looking to move to a warmer climate with good schooling as well. Was thinking maybe florida. We r chassidish/shtreimal as well. Lemme know if u find out any info on these reccomended places above. Seriously looking into a move. (Kids r always sick with colds/strep in the winter and im fed up with the cold)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating