Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Salmon, which is the healthiest, and where in BP do you buy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:23 pm
I was told that wild fish has worms in them. So I stay away from it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:25 pm
Here in the PNW, Canadian and Australian farmed salmon runs $5.99lb, Pacific wild caught is about $9.00. Copper river salmon $19-$28.

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:26 pm
Farm raised fish has dyes and chemicals that can cause cancer - def stay away from that.

For the poster who asked, Lakewood has Ora king salmon (at the fishing line) which is supposed to be very healthy, but I haven't been able to get a clear picture of the mercury level, which is a big concern for me.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:30 pm
Ora King is also farm raised. Farm raised salmon pose a biological threat to native salmon runs. Salmon farms also add to pollution in many rivers where they are farmed.

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:31 pm
Op, I know I posted a while ago, I buy my fish by fish to dish. They have amazing service. Clean store. Quick delivery. And their honest!
I once bought salmon , my husband did actually and he asked for wild, they told him yeah it's wild and when he came home I knew right away it's not. The price didn't make sense and then once I cooked it it didn't taste it.

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:32 pm
I know it is farmed raised but very differently than typical farm raised salmon. Like I said I haven't been able to get a very clear picture but it does seem to have more health benefits and no chemicals and other garbage.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 03 2015, 10:39 pm
Ora King is sea farmed like some Irish and Scottish salmon. Most Canadian farmed salmon is trough or river farmed. No farmed salmon eats natural feed as they would in the wild they are all fed kibble that includes colorants and other processed nutrients. In the wild these fish eat each other, alive or dead as well as a host of other natural critters. All farmed salmon are treated with fungicides which also pose a threat to a river or natural body of water.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 2:56 pm
So do any of these stores have wild salmon that is not farm raised?
(Gourmet Glatt's wild caught seems to be farm raised.)

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:03 pm
In terms of being misled, I buy the wild very occasionally and it has a much more vivid color than the farmed. It looks very different. How can you buy the wrong one? Its extremely healthy so we buy it for shabbos or rosh chodesh a few times a year.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:19 pm
The color of baby salmon is as vivid. Just wanted to put that out there.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 3:25 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Ora King is also farm raised. Farm raised salmon pose a biological threat to native salmon runs. Salmon farms also add to pollution in many rivers where they are farmed.

But have you ever bought from a Native American as he pulled it from the river? That was the best!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. One store-owner told me that you have to have blind faith in the store-owner, because anyone can tell you your salmon is wild salmon, and you have no way of knowing if its true or not.

Not cheap but www.vitalchoice.com sells portioned wild salmon, certified kosher and extremely reliable. We like the king salmon. Not as dry as other wild salmon varieties.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
Not cheap but www.vitalchoice.com sells portioned wild salmon, certified kosher and extremely reliable. We like the king salmon. Not as dry as other wild salmon varieties.

Thanks! Where can I see their kosher certification? I can't seem to find it mentioned.

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
So do any of these stores have wild salmon that is not farm raised?
(Gourmet Glatt's wild caught seems to be farm raised.)

What does that mean? How can wild salmon be farm raised?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 8:55 pm
Iymnok wrote:
But have you ever bought from a Native American as he pulled it from the river? That was the best!

This Oct. was the first time in over 20 years that I didn't fish the fall run of salmon. I typically fish spring and fall runs and have enough to get me through the year.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 9:35 pm
Reality wrote:
What does that mean? How can wild salmon be farm raised?

I don't really know but if you look at my link you will see Farm Raised Wild Salmon Fillet from Gourmet Glatt...

https://www.gourmetglattonline.com/frontend/#!/search/wild%2520caught

FASMA

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 9:39 pm
If I am not mistaken, the one they sell frozen at Costco is wild salmon and has an OU

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
I don't really know but if you look at my link you will see Farm Raised Wild Salmon Fillet from Gourmet Glatt...

https://www.gourmetglattonline.com/frontend/#!/search/wild%2520caught

There is no such thing as farm raised wild salmon. They clearly don't know what they are talking about.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:03 pm
scottish salmon is the only one that is FDA approved to be used raw in sashimi without having been previously frozen...

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:03 pm
breadberry sells it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking