Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Salmon, which is the healthiest, and where in BP do you buy?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
There is no such thing as farm raised wild salmon. They clearly don't know what they are talking about.

So how do I know? Is it farm raised or wild?

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:08 pm
they also sell organic king salmon...
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/pn/4/he/?q=salmon

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
So how do I know? Is it farm raised or wild?

You really have no way of telling unless you've handled a lot of wild salmon. Wild salmon have a very deep color. And the color doesn't come off. If you cook a farmed salmon with rice, the rice will get a pink tint. The texture of the meat on wild salmon is very fine and on a filet you will see something that looks like 'gray' meat close to the skin. That is fat that you find on a wild fish that will never develop on a farm raised fish. I can usually smell the difference as well. A fresh wild caught salmon smells like the sea. Farmed salmon smell like the food you feed your kids goldfish. They also smell differently when cooked. Fresh wild salmon never ever smell fishy.

Many not very legitimate fishmongers will also oil their salmon before putting it in a case to keep it looking fresh when it isn't, they do this with wild and farmed salmon. Fresh wild salmon never needs to be oiled, their flesh will glisten with the fats and oils of the fish. Farmed salmon are often frozen and then defrosted.

Any good fishmonger will tell you when the fish died. He'll likely tell you if the wild fish was line caught or caught in a trawler net. Line caught salmon is a premium fish. They are never frozen and will often reach market in 24 hours or less from the time they are caught.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:31 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
they also sell organic king salmon...
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/pn/4/he/?q=salmon

Think about this for a minute. A wild salmon lives part of it's life in the sea and part on a freshwater run. They eat each other, bugs, and other critters. Stuff that grows naturally in their habitat. Are they organic? Of course they are, they're not getting dosed with fungicides and being fed pelletized food.

It's reasonable for me to assume that if a store is advertising 'organic' salmon it's farm raised on pelletized food that meets Tilth or a commonly accepted organic standard.

I'm passionate about fresh wild fish and live in the PNW where there is an seasonal abundance of salmon. I'm also passionate about the fisheries and managing our fish populations and know people who make their living from well managed fisheries like we have here in the west. So I have an obvious bias when if it comes to any farm raised fish. (Don't even get me started on talapia.)

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 10:52 pm
FASMA wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the one they sell frozen at Costco is wild salmon and has an OU

I just checked. The salmon sold at my Costco is farm raised, Atlantic salmon.
Not sure where you are located, its possible that your Costco sells different type than mine.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking