Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child sick going into birthday party weekend

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 9:59 pm
My daughter came home from school today with a fever. Her birthday party is supposed to be on Sunday.
I'm not sure went to decide if I should cancel the party.

If I cancel before Shabbos, she could end up getting better over Shabbos and then her birthday party would be canceled for no reason.

On the other hand, if I don't cancel before Shabbos and she still isn't well throughout Shabbos, then I would have to cancel once Shabbos is over Saturday night, which would be late. That wouldn't be fair to the other parents. Plus, it will be too late to cancel the cake from the bakery.

I cannot reschedule, because my husband is leaving for Israel for a family wedding two days later, and by the time he gets back it's during the three weeks plus a lot of people will be out of town with summer plans.

What would you do? Cancel if she's not better tomorrow afternoon before Shabbos? or wait until after Shabbos to make a decision?

animeme

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 10:14 pm
I would wait. You can always freeze the cake, and the families will understand if you have to cancel. So many fevers are gone in 24 or 48 hours.

If needed, you can have the party without your husband. Get a friend or a favorite babysitter to come help out, and facetime dh in or send him pictures. Whoever comes, comes- expand your circle of invites to have more of a presence if needed. Alternatively, if dd is old enough to delay gratification some, make her a party later on, a delayed one. Maybe a fun sukkah party on chol hamoed. I made dd a Chanukah party each year because of her three-weeks birthday.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 11:29 pm
How many people are invited? If it's just a few then I'd wait, though possibly warn people that it *might* need to be postponed. If it's a lot, then I don't know - it'll be harder to cancel, maybe better to just cancel now. How important is it to DD to have your DH there?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 11:37 pm
To answer some of the questions:

my daughter is six.
We have about 10 to 12 people coming.
We already had to change plans because it was supposed to be an outdoor party, but now it is supposed to rain.
She has a fever – currently 103.3.
We cannot do it the next weekend even with my husband out of the country because the next weekend we have a full day of Girl Scout and Boy Scout activities.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 12:13 am
Oy. Refuah sheleima. Fevers sometimes come and go pretty fast, and sometimes not. Does it have to be a weekend? If the guests are kids, aren't they off from school now? (OK I'm jumping to conclusions, no idea where you live) Maybe she'll just suddenly feel better tomorrow...

imaima

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 2:09 am
Does she have symptoms? Do you know what the fever is coming from?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics