Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Severance for nanny- how much? Working for me for 4 months
1  2  Next

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 9:56 am
How much severance do I give the nanny working for me for 4 months? Only a few days a week 10 hours a day. Baby is usually sleeping...it's an easy job and she usually is just on her phone.

Tziril Miriam

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 9:59 am
It depends. Why is she leaving? Why are you letting her go? Did you both sign a contract?

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:06 am
No contract. I am telling her today it's her last day. Letting her go bc she isn't respectful of me, my house- kashrut etc. she is nice and means well she just doesn't get it and I can't have the stress of training her if she isn't respectful of our culture etc

SRS

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:06 am
Do you have a contract? Did you drop her out of nowhere? Can she claim unemployment?

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:07 am
She is not legal- from Central America

SRS

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:10 am
delete

Last edited by SRS on Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:12 am
She can't claim. She's not a U.S. citizen

SRS

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:32 am
I feel really strongly about the lack of wisdom to hire illegal immigrants to watch children in your own home, so I will now step out of the conversation and let others advise you.

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:36 am
I agree which is part of the reason I'm letting her go. Not looking for flack about this mistake in hiring her though. Just looking for advice on how much severance she deserves... Please advise

oliveoil

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 10:46 am
Two weeks

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:03 am
For someone to get unemployment most companies require that they need to have worked at least 6 months at the job they are being let go of. Some companies also do not pay if the person was fired due to poor work ethic. The employer would have to provide proof though.

So even if she was a US Citizen, she would not be able to claim being that she worked less than 6 months.

If you would let her go due to finances, or services no longer needed then I would think she should get some sort of severance pay. In this situation, where she would anyways not be entitled to unemployment, but even more, she did not respect you, then I dont think she really "deserves" that severance pay. Didn't do her job, was on her cell all day, didn't repect basic kashrus and rules of the employer - so why should she be getting "rewarded" for that? She was told the rules and reminded of them and she chose to ignore.

I know I may get some flack but she didn't do her job properly / repect her employer so she isn't entitled to benefits.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:06 am
amother1223 wrote:
I agree which is part of the reason I'm letting her go. Not looking for flack about this mistake in hiring her though. Just looking for advice on how much severance she deserves... Please advise

Check your state laws. Five states have laws about in home service workers (I.e. nannies, housekeepers, cleaning help). It really depends on your state law.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:13 am
Have you warned her/given her chances to improve?

Jobs don't give notice on getting fired and if you are being fired with cause there is def not severance pay. When people are fired its typically with cause they don't collect unemployment and it's typically a same day thing so they can't steal/ruin anything. If you give her severance it's closer to laying her off that you don't need her any longer but she was a good employee.

If you are letting her go with cause and after such a short time I would give little-nothing. If I gave anything it would be so I don't cause a chillul hashem more than anything.

You are an employer firing an employee who is not doing their job well. You don't really owe them anything especially if you gave them direction and chance to improve.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:14 am
To that note I MIGHT give her $150 just as a here don't hate all Jews thing. But really when people without a contract are fired from a job they just don't get severances.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:17 am
Had a cleaning day a few years ago who stole a nice black cashmere scarf erev pesach. The next day she comes and shows me how she has such a nice polyester scarf that's blue and not black and it's hers. It's not mine, it's hers. She went on for 1/2 hour. This was after 2 weeks of not speaking or understanding English. I had to get a family friend to translate for me yet here she suddenly knew basic English. I checked the coat closet and that's when I noticed I was missing mine and why she made a whole big deal about hers. She left the night before and I hadn't worn it since the morning before. She hangs her coat near mine but they are quite different.
I didn't want to confront her. I called the person who referred her after she left and said she's fired as she stole a scarf so who knows what else she may have stolen. Turns out, after she left my house she went to my mother and stole her mini safe box that had jewelry from my great grandmother who had passed away a few years ago, and some other sentimental, irreplaceable items as well. I obviously did not give a warning or severance in this case.

Yet a different time when I was very tight financially during Tishrei (years before) I told my cleaning lady that I am giving her 2 weeks till Yom Tov was over. The next week she was already set up with a new job.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
For someone to get unemployment most companies require that they need to have worked at least 6 months at the job they are being let go of. Some companies also do not pay if the person was fired due to poor work ethic. The employer would have to provide proof though.

So even if she was a US Citizen, she would not be able to claim being that she worked less than 6 months.
SNIP

I'm sure that companies would love to make their own requirements for receipt of unemployment. Unfortunately for them, the government does that.

The government looks at work HISTORY over several quarters, not at one particular job. So let's say that you worked at High Powered Job and made $400,000 per year. You voluntarily left that job for lifestyle reasons, and started working for Fruma Frummie in her store at $25,000 per year. Fruma's business tanks, and she fires you after 2 months. Not only are you entitled to unemployment, your base rate is calculated using your High Powered Job salary, averaged in with what Fruma paid you!

Of course, check with your state, as laws do differ.

wantavaca

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 2:05 pm
NONE

amother1223

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 2:15 pm
She has had time to improve... Yet she still shows up late. Sometimes I tell her I don't need 4 hours only 3- and she makes me feel that since I am using her less that she has entitlement and it's ok to show up late...she is not professional and I pay her $14/hour most of the time she is up with her feet on my couch on her phone eating my food!!! Ugh she was a 1/2 hour late today and just texted me she will be here in 1/2 hour. Now I really don't know what to do or how much to give her severance

Lani22

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 4:19 pm
I think I would just thank her and say I'm so sorry but this is not working out for me. I don't think you owe her severance if she's only been working for you for 4 months and shows up late over and over again....

SRS

Post Fri, Jun 19 2015, 4:27 pm
Advice for next time, when you hire a nanny you have a contract with employment requirements and you hire someone who is legal, you will get a better work product and at $14 an hour, I think you can get someone more professional. In a wealthy area near me, you can get American born and bred ladies with education for $14 an hour.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics