Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
She doesn't like being told to do something
Previous  1  2

zigi

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:16 pm
social stories and a self checklist of what has to get done. my dd doesn't to be told what to do also ds.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:59 pm
Today I walked into the kitchen and saw she accidentally squirted ketchup on the table and floor and chair. I handed her a napkin and instead of saying "please wipe it up" I said "I notice there's three spots with ketchup on them that need to be cleaned. Can I trust you to be responsible and take care of it?"

And...and...not only did she say okay in a small, serious voice, but two minutes later, she asked for three napkins (one for each spot) and then she ACTUALLY did it.

shock LOL shock

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:16 pm
Yay! I love hearing these success stories. Imamother nachas.

Now the only thing is remembering to reprogram your phrasing more of the time. That's the part that always gets me.

rowo

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:31 pm
Firstly thank you fox!!
I have a 6 yo dd who is like this and thinking about her as a teen can set me on the verge of a panic attack. So thank you for the reassurance!!
I really like the tips given. I'm just curious how it plays out with your other children?
I know my dd loves being in charge, but other kids don't always like being bossed around by her.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:53 pm
I remember feeling this way as a child. I don't remember throwing tantrums but I definitely didn't like being told what to do. I gained a reputation far and wide for being a smart aleck. Unfortunately my parents aren't as smart as you ladies. I was emotionally abused as a result and my parents never stopped trying to break me. They succeeded even though they didn't know it. I came into marriage thinking I was worthless, invisible, and bad. I have since done a lot of self work and my self image has improved a lot. I still have a hard time with following rules. I get pleasure in breaking them when no one is looking even silly rules. Every time my daughter asserts herself is another opportunity to break the cycle and be a better parent.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics