Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vermont with my family this summer???

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:22 am
I am thinking of traveling to Vermont this summer with my husband and little boys, ranging ages 1 1/2 - 7 1/2.
Is there what to do there for my children?
I am not looking to specifically stay in one of these places that are rented out by frum people.
I will put myself up in a hotel.
just wondering what kind of attractions there are for little boys?
any information that would be helpful will be appreciated.

Or can you think of another place for us to go this summer that would be more ideal for my children's ages??
thank you.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:32 am
For those ages, I would recommend Lancaster, PA. Or if you want New England, since you anyway aren't going to a kosher program, I'd suggest Lincoln, NH.

yblybl

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:25 pm
Thanks for your input. We went to Lincoln nh last yer and had an amazing time!!
I rather not do Lancaster as I want to go somewhere with beautiful scenic views and mountains... Somewhere to really get away a little. I feel like Lancaster is too close to home to be a real getaway.

Have u ever been to Vermont? Do u have any recommendations in regard to accommodations or activities?

thanks

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:52 pm
The Berkshires has lots of activities - including Jimney Peak. It's very scenic too.

innovative mom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:04 pm
thanks wrote:
The Berkshires has lots of activities - including Jimney Peak. It's very scenic too.

Last I knew The Berkshires and Jiminey peak were in Massachusetts.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:08 pm
In northern Vt you can drive up Mt. Mansfield, which I think is the tallest mountain in the state. Nearby is the Sherburne Museum. You can take a boat/cruise on the lake there next to Burlington. Farther south are the various ski areas that have trams and alpine slides during the summer - check Killington, Okamo, etc. Woodstock is a very quaint town, but the kids may not appreciate it.

Vermont has its own beauty; I just found that it didn't have as much "doing" activities as NH. You could also look into Onset and Cape Cod - whale watching, gorgeous bike trails along the shore, secluded beaches, free Cape Cod potato chip factory tour (and kosher samples), lighthouses, a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, and water sports - boating, fishing, etc.

HelloG

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:38 pm
We've been to Vermont past two summers. There are plenty of lovely activities. Farms farms farms. Bromley water park. Glass blowing factory. Boating. Train ride. Chair lift. So much more

HelloG

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:39 pm
I have a bag of brochures somewhere put away....

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 4:47 am
There's also the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory and Lake Champlain chocolate factory with free Kosher samples if you don't keep Cholov Yisrael. There is the Vermont teddy bear Factory. We loved Vermont! We went to Stowe Mountain for alpine slides.

YHM

Post Sat, Aug 01 2015, 9:00 pm
Any hotel/lodge recommendations?

Tia

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:14 am
AmGold wrote:
We've been to Vermont past two summers. There are plenty of lovely activities. Farms farms farms. Bromley water park. Glass blowing factory. Boating. Train ride. Chair lift. So much more

I would love to hear about these activities you did. We are heading to Killington area later this month. Which farms, where were they and what was there to do there.
Our kids range from 2 -12. we would like to rent a boat, are they makpid on a boater's license there?
which train ride are you referring to?
thanks in advance, I'd love to hear anyone's ideas!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:27 am
We've been vacationing in Stowe, VT the past couple years. Kids love it. We do outdoorsy stuff as a family. Hike, bike, canoe, etc. It's really beautiful.

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:36 am
stowe has a great recreation path, we went biking on it. also hiking on mt mansfeild. there is also a guy who takes people fishing. there is a childrens science museum in Burlington. its also a cute shopping area.

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:38 am
http://echovermont.org/

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:39 am
I know this is out of left field but is Maine out of the question. Mount Desert Island is gorgeous and there is beach stuff as well as mountain inland type of exploration.

I prefer ocean or other New England ocean destinations that are a bit closer.

Love Moint Desert Island and Bar Harbor. Or Cape Cod. Or Long Beach Island.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jun 17 2016, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:43 am
http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/ http://www.imaginariumchildrensmuseum.org/

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:33 am
Also looking to stay in Vermont Smile
Which hotel in stowe have you stayed in? Seems to be mainly resorts and they want a bloody fortune. Is stowe a nicer place to stay in say than killington?

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:57 am
check out tripping.com they have a cabin in the woods that is a good price also Waterbury is cheaper than stowe, there are also motels in the area

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 2:01 pm
Where can I get a minyan within walking distance in shabbos?

doctorima

Post Sat, Jun 18 2016, 9:24 pm
The only regular minyan in Vermont is at Chabad of Burlington, contact them for lodging options. I believe the frum programs that advertise say that their minyans are only for their paid guests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics