Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Sfardim and eruv- is this correct??
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:55 am
Is he israeli? I find some people, especially if they grew up with an eruv, seem to think eruv is a chumra and only needs to be done by extra frum people.

I guess if I moved to timbuctoo and was told that due to certain circumstances unique to timbuctoo, one wasn't allowed to talk on shabbos. It would be pretty hard for me to grasp.

However I do not think there is anything wrong with telling an apparantly shomer shabbat person about the absence of an eruv. They can choose to listen or not, but many people would not want to be mechallel shabbos.

OP, why don't you put up a fence? It must be tough if you have kids...

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:22 am
glutenless wrote:
I really don't think they should put up a sign. They told the guy, he's an adult, if he wants to carry without an eiruv he will, sign or no sign. Putting up a sign at this point seems rude, especially if people are already talking about him carrying without an eiruv, it will be very obvious that you put it up just for him.

Just think, tomorrow we could have the wife on here, crying, because she's so embarrassed in front of her new neighbors, her husband is carrying without an eiruv and everyone is talking about him. They even put up a sign to let everyone know he's carrying without an eiruv. How can she face everyone now??

I didn't mean a sign for him, but for the public. If I read correctly there is a shul on the property. Just like the signs that tell you where the eruv ends, and reminders to call a hotline to see if it's up that week. But whatever, if it would embarrass him, then maybe not.

leah233

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:31 am
If he says his Rav said he can carry without an Eruv ask the Rav for clarification.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:43 am
leah233 wrote:
If he says his Rav said he can carry without an Eruv ask the Rav for clarification.

Here's the number of my Rav

For those who don't speak Hebrew, it says "How am I dressed? Dial 1-800-NONE-OF-YOUR-BUSINESS" and it could have also gone into "Painful--Sister Leaving Tznious" but it applies to any area of somebody else's halachic observance or lack thereof.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:31 pm
It can depend. Mostly we can't hold by ashkenaz eruvim but if he is carrying on the property itself there are different opinions. Because you can't carry on a public domain but the question is what is a public domain. I used to live in an apartment complex and the complex was not fenced. I was told by someone Sefardic that since the appliances were owned by the owner of the building the whole complex was considered 1 domain and I could carry on the grounds. I was told by the local ashkenaz rabbi that I could not because it was not fenced. The Sefardic person then said I had to hold by the rabbi of the place, who was ashkenaz, and there was no Sefardic rabbi in the area (and the person I asked couldn't see the property themselves and therefore wasn't sure) and then could not carry.

I also once lived on an island with a sea wall around it. The sefardim carried there, the Ashkenazim put up a string eruv. The string was irrelevant for us and when it went down, we kept carrying because of the sea wall but when the string was up and the sea wall broke once after a hurricane, we had to stop carrying.

So give the benefit of the doubt. I don't know the details of your property and I don't know who his rabbi is but if he says it's fine, stay out of it. And even if it's not fine, it's not your problem.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 4:51 pm
I don't know the answer but I'm adding this to my recipe box! Thumbs Up

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 5:47 pm
if you're in brooklyn, consider that R' Ovadia did not agree with R' Moshe's famous and widely accepted psak of flatbush being unable to have an eruv due to the number of people passing ocean parkway. I'm sephardic, have always lived among sephardim, have never heard of this chumra of needing actual walls.
however, I know frum, very yeshivishe sephardic rabbis who, because of the fact that they know R' ovadia's psak about the brooklyn eruv, will do things they otherwise would not do in a place without an eruv. like, they wear gloves and a watch on shabbos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note