Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO smaller modern ortho community

EMmom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:21 pm
I've been living in the northern jersey area for about 8 years now. Although I like the religious aspect (a mix of modern orthodox), I don't feel like I really fit in. It seems like everyone from here either grew up together, went to the same camps, hs, or Stern. I grew up in a different area, went to a different college and still don't feel like I fit in completely because my upbringing was different. In addition, the cost of living here is astronomical.

Are there any modern orthodox communities that are more affordable in the US and nicer/more inclusive? I would say I'm technically on the more right wing of modern orthodoxy but I like having the mix of friends that I currently have. I really enjoy going out (dinner, shows, museums...) so I am not looking for a community that is too small or quiet.

Does anyone know of any communities that fit these requirements? My husband and I are very committed to moving and our careers have a lot of flexibility so jobs aren't such an issue.

TIA

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 8:43 pm
Elizabeth or hillside. Both great communities

semandbeyond

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:02 pm
Richmond, VA has a great small, but growing, MO community and offers free school tuition!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:14 am
How about Willowbrook in Staten Island, or Highland Park?

EMmom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 3:57 pm
Is highland park and hillside/Elizabeth significantly cheaper than northern jersey? I was under the impression it wasn't much of a differen, am I wrong?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 4:02 pm
Chicago and its suburbs Skokie and Lincolnwood have a substantial Modern Orthodox Community. Its for sure cheaper than NY but not dirt cheap. Two schools to choose from, restaurants, cultural events like plays concerts etc.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:56 pm
I accidentally posted a reply to this on a different thread. Ooops!

I suggested Boca Raton, FL in that thread. It has two neighborhoods, the larger one being a spectrum of MO-- from LWMO to frum YU type. Schooling goes up until 12th grade in the MO school (s). Lots of restaurants, things to do, not too quiet. I know someone suggested Richmond,but if you enjoy a life of going out, having fun, etc... Boca might be a better fit for you.

The other plus of Boca that I mentioned in the other thread is that there are a LOT of transplants there. Meaning, you won't be the only one who is not from Boca, didn't go to Camp Mesorah/Brovender's/Stern. I was on line at Winn-Dixie once, and I met a young mother (early 30s) who told me that she recently moved NJ to Boca. She was a dentist and was in the process of having her license transferred. She told me she loved it in Boca, Now, obviously, I didn't interview her on line at the grocery store, but she stuck me as RW MO.

Cost of living-- not as cheap at Richmond VA, but certainly more affordable than northern NJ.

hatzlacha! There are a lot of threads on Boca that you can search.

Regarding the post right above me: Someone mentioned "Elizabeth or Hillside. Both great communities." Now, I'm sure there are a lot of nice people in the places, but I know it was mentioned on another thread a while back specifically about Hillside. Someone mentioned that it was a huge chevra of former Rutgers students, and she had a really difficult time breaking into the crowd there. Obviously that's only one person's opinion, but I think the OP would be better in a place that has more transplants.

OP-- I just want to say that I do feel for you. I used to live in a certain city, and I found that most of the people in my age/stage of life either had grown up there, or their spouse had grown up there. While I don't begrudge people for having family around, Smile it certainly made it hard to make friends. (ie- people had their built in social networks, either from growing up there, or from having their sisters/sister-in-laws,... and weren't actively looking to make new friends. We eventually left that city because I so socially isolated.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:59 pm
You should look into houston TX

https://www.facebook.com/Houst.....unity

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 3:38 pm
EMmom wrote:
Is highland park and hillside/Elizabeth significantly cheaper than northern jersey? I was under the impression it wasn't much of a differen, am I wrong?

I live in Springfield, which is near Hillside/Elizabeth. Housing is around 10% cheaper than I.e. Bergen county, and access to N.Y. isn't any worse. The community is evenly split between those who all went to school together, and those who didn't.

avivan

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 5:24 pm
My son goes to school in Memphis. Although we don't live there. It's a very warm community. They have an excellent school and the cost of living is very low. They even offer incentives to attract new families. I was told you can buy a small house there for. $100K. You won't find that in the. Northeast.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 6:07 pm
Here's a link to YI of Sharon, there are also other shuls, Etz Chaim as well as Chabad.

You're fairly close to Boston & all kinds of cultural things.

I don't know about cost of living but I'm sure someone here does!
(anon bec I have relatives there...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating